Cold Days (The Dresden Files, 14) by Jim…

Cold Days (The Dresden Files, 14) (edition 2012)

by Jim Butcher

Member:Kassilem
Title:Cold Days (The Dresden Files, 14)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2012), Kindle Edition, 515 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Urban Fantasy, Mystery

Cold Days by Jim Butcher

English (119)  German (1)  English (120)
Now we're back on track! ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
Cold Days
4.5 Stars

Harrys Dresden is now the Winter Knight and if that isn’t problematic enough, Mab has an assignment for him, something that does not bode at all well. To top it all off, someone or something, is planning on destroying Harry’s island, an act that will apparently take out Chicago and half of the Midwest. As always, Harry has his hands full, but with the help of allies, old and new, he may just save the day … or die trying … again!

Harry is nothing if not entertaining and Cold Days lives up to expectations with all the twists and turns not to mention the shocking revelations … I so was not expecting half of what happened!

Harry is the same as always, endearing, self-depricating and slightly sexist, despite the burden of the Winter Mantle. His reunions with Thomas, Murphy, Molly and Mouse are brilliant and the way he manages to maneuver around Mab and the other Sidhe makes for exciting reading.

Nevertheless, one thing that bugged me (at resulted in the loss of 0.5 stars) is the new direction Butcher is taking the overall story arc. Blaming everything that has happened so far on some all-encompasing evil adversary shows a distinct lack of imagination and reduces responsibility and culpability for ones choices. - not a fan!

In sum, Harry and company never fail to amuse and I’m looking forward to their further adventures in May. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
I would rate this a 4.5.

I listened to Cold Days as an Audio book as I drove in to work with my daughter. Actually, I had read this novel in hard back when it first came out and loved the story line and characters. I'm just amazed at the way Mr. Butcher has evolved this series over the years, with it still going incredibly strong with this, the 14th book in the series. I think I've read everything Jim Butcher's written over the years. I didn't especially like Ghost Story, but I thoroughly enjoyed Cold Days. I especially loved listening to Cold days as an Audio book with James Marsters, (Spike from Buffy) as the narrator (he was terrific.) I also loved getting back into Jim Butchers well drawn out characters and I got my wife hooked on the series so that now, she is almost up to Cold Days.
Jack Murphy ( )
  urph818 | Oct 22, 2016 |
"Okay, come on," I said. "You're going to buy me a lawsuit, Bob."
"Hush, Harry. Or you'll go to the special hell."
I blinked at that, confused. I'm not supposed to be the guy who doesn't get the reference joke, dammit.

I find it … yes, inconceivable that Harry Dresden has not seen Firefly. That's terrible. Someone get him a shielded DVD player, stat.

Somehow I seem to read the Dresden Files at just the times when they'll hit me hardest.

...I could almost pretend I was there again. That I was home.
But they'd burned down my home. I had repaid them for it, with interest, but I still felt oddly hollow in my guts when I thought about how I would never see it again. I missed Mister, my cat. I missed my dog. I missed the familiarity of having a place that I knew, that was a shelter. I missed my life. I'd been away from home for what felt like a very long time.

I didn't get to repay anyone for losing my home and my dog. It just happened. This was not the first time I had to put aside a Harry Dresden novel and … well, anyway. (Changing the subject rapidly) Gosh, I think there were more f–bombs dropped in this one; I haven't done a count or anything, but they seemed more frequent. Of course, Harry more than had reason.

I went into this one with a little reluctance. I didn't want to hear about Harry Dresden, Winter Knight. I wanted his old life back almost as much as he did. I wanted the Scooby Gang. But the reunions made it all worthwhile. My note at 20%: "That is, and probably always will be, the only time a heartfelt "Asshole" has made me curl up and cry like a little girl."

Warning: embarrassing levels of FanGirl ahead

I always loved these books, always. But I may never read one again – not when I can have James Marsters read them to me. Are they perfect narrations? Not one hundred percent, really; there's an occasional missed accentuation that tweaks the meaning of a sentence – but a lot of narrators do that. And what he lacks in the occasional mundane accent, he more than makes up in dialogue, both standard and Harry's internal dialogue. Why would I go back to reading these books off paper or pixel when the "Oh" in my head wouldn't carry half the meaning that the single syllable can bring off when voiced by James Marsters? That man, my God... I want to lock him in a room and make him read me all my favorite books. (Hush about any other things that might come to mind, this is a family show.)

I don't like using cliches; "Dream Team" is a cliche. But nothing else comes to mind that so perfectly describes these books: Jim Butcher providing the universe, Harry Dresden living in it, and ... just reading the books is like the first scenes of The Wizard of Oz. There's nothing wrong with that – black and white can be lovely and perfectly sufficient, and after all "Over the Rainbow" comes during that part – but for some things you just can't beat fully saturated technicolor. James Marsters's narration is wide–screen, HD technicolor. Practically 3–D.

I always did crush a bit on Spike. It's nice to still be in love with James Marsters. It's a perfect marriage, this; Butcher's geekiness makes mine look like I'm not trying, and the wisecrackery with which he imbues Harry Dresden is PHD level. JM's Spike was part of one of the geekiest of geeky shows, and the wise Spike cracked was always among the sharpest and most fun (and quotable). Long may it wave. ( )
  Stewartry | Aug 28, 2016 |
In which Harry's desperate ploy to save his daughter two books back comes back to bite him, beat him, and generally mess up his life in the way only the queens of fairie can.
Review @ Booklikes ( )

Simmons, JoieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For
Chris Achterhof,
writer of ''Greed" (he'll know why after reading this),
and all my old gaming buddies in the International Fantasy Gaming Society.

You people are all silly, and you made the nineties a much brighter place.
Mab, the Queen of Air and Darkness, monarch of the Winter Court of the Sidhe, has unique ideas regarding physical therapy.

After being murdered by a mystery assailant, navigating his way through the realm between life and death, and being brought back to the mortal world, Harry realizes that maybe death wasn't all that bad. Because he is no longer Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard.

He is now Harry Dresden, Winter Knight to Mab, The Queen of Air and Darkness. after Harry had no choice but to swear his fealty, Mab wasn't ab out to let something as petty as death steal away the prize she had sought for so long. And now her word is his command, no matter what she wants him to do, no matter where she wants him to go, no matter who she wants him to kill.

Guess which Mab wants first.

Of course, it won't be an ordinary, everyday assassination. Mab wants her newest minion to pull off the impossible: kill an immortal. No problem there, right? And to make matters worse, there exists a growing threat to an unfathomable source of magic that could take out the entire midwest if not stopped.

Beset by enemies new and old, Harry must gather his friends and allies, dodge the Great Hunt, prevent the annihilation of countless innocents, kill an immortal or 20, and find a way out of his eternal subservience before his newfound powers claim the only thing he has left to call his own -
his soul.
Hottie wizard dies,
Comes back stronger than before;
Saves the world again.

Following his death by a mystery assailant, Harry Dresden, Winter Knight to Mab, the Queen of Air and Darkness, must gather his friends and allies, prevent the annihilation of countless innocents, and find a way out of his eternal subservience before his newfound powers claim the only thing he has left to call his own ... his soul.… (more)

299 wanted3 pay5 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,702,211 books! | Top bar: Always visible