Pet Noir by Pati Nagle

Authors:Pati Nagle
Info:Evennight Books (2011), Kindle Edition, 200 pages
Tags:fiction, read, ebook

Pet Noir by Pati Nagle

Loved this book .... A cat/ sci fi!!! How fun....fast read ....entertaining. ( )
  mwleung | Oct 13, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Leon is a very special cat; he is genetically engineered to have superior intelligence, he can talk, and he has opposing thumbs. As soon as he is old enough to leave his ma he is taken to the Gamma Space Station where he joins the security staff as an undercover agent.

The story covers 3 or 4 crimes that Leon and his human partner, Devin, manage to solve.

This book is a fun and lightweight read for the young adult / teen market. The premise of an intelligent and capable cat working with a human partner to solve crimes is an entertaining one, and the “voice” of Leon comes across well. The situations an the space station are imaginative and the whole thing comes together to make an undemanding and fun read.

However, it doesn’t have that “spark” which makes for great YA fiction that can appeal to youngsters and adults alike. There is no depth at all to the plots (they are simple “solve the mystery and find the thief” stories) nor to the characters (the author could have done more with the difference between human and feline thinking, for instance.

This is a great pity, because the plot offers a number of opportunities to create more depth. For instance there’s the whole question of genetic engineering and the rights of the cloned individual – there are a number of cloned characters in the story who are owned by the people who paid for them and have to work to buy out their contract before they have any rights as individuals.

I would recommend this book to younger readers, or perhaps reluctant teen readers, because of its entertaining and slightly wacky approach. ( )
  hashford | Nov 6, 2011 |
The first detective story told by a cat on a space station that I've read. Short, but entertaining. ( )
  paulmorriss | Oct 1, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this book. I thought Leon was a fun narrator, something of a hard-boiled detective but with a definite feline slant to his thinking. The book was a quick, fun read. It touches on some serious issues but never loses its light voice. It was nice seeing how Leon grew up through the book and how he and Devin slowly became friends. I also appreciated the variety in the types of mysteries Leon helped solve. ( )
  coprime | Sep 30, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A very well written book. It felt like I was right there watching the growth from kitten to genetically engineered cat!! I loved how there was more then one story in the book and I really look forward to another book with the same characters. There were many times when I was unable to set my e-reader down as I just wanted to see how it ended, had to recharge the e-reader many times while still reading!! I have and will continue to recommend this book to as many people as I can. ( )
  biglou8501 | Sep 28, 2011 |
For Nambé
and Hephaestus
and all the great cats I’ve ever known

“They’re just about ready to open their eyes.”

Can a lowly gumpaw hope for love with a girl who rides in a jewel-encrusted carrier? investigator Leon, with opposable thumbs and the ability to talk, is possibly the most dangerous cat in the galaxy. He alternates between harassing his human partner/roommate Devin, fighting sleazoid criminals, and flirting with the lovely Leila, a Burmese who lives in the swankiest level of the station. Will he win her heart, and more important - will he win his freedom?… (more)

Pati Nagle is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Pet Noir by Pati Nagle was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,779,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible