The shattering by Karen Healey

The shattering (2011)

by Karen Healey

159None74,822 (3.89)10
Recently added byprivate library, ewillse, EthicsGradient, PatienceFortitude, netgirl_y2k, sachaurora

ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
I highly enjoyed this teenage drama/mystery with a supernatural edge. The town of Summerton had me enchanted from the start - a West Coast town where it doesn't rain? Certainly, there did seem something suspicious about it. It may be a fictitious place, but it reminded me rather of the small NZ country township where I grew up, Golden Bay. The characters are well developed, and showcase the ethnic diversity of New Zealand without any of them being a cliche. Healey develops her characters caringly, giving them distinctive personalities and traits, making them well rounded people that you could imagine hanging out with (or not, as the case may be). The story flowed at a goodly pace, with me figuring out what was going on approximately half a page before one of the characters jumped to the same conclusion. I laughed at the bits that were funny, cringed at the bits that were painful or uncomfortable, and felt my heart crumble just a little bit at a certain point nearing the end. Thank you Karen, and I'm sorry it took me so long to read this one. ( )
  LemurKat | Sep 12, 2013 |
For my younger siblings,
Scott, Ben and Gina,
the first players in my first stories.And for Carla,
who knows all about families,
born and chosen.
The first time I broke my arm, I was ready for it.

When a rash of suicides disturbs Summerton, an oddly perfect tourist town on the west coast of New Zealand, the younger siblings of the dead boys become suspicious and begin an investigation that reveals dark secrets and puts them in grave danger.

28 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,411,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible