The Shattering by Karen Healey

The Shattering (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Karen Healey

Member:Tafadhali
Title:The Shattering
Authors:Karen Healey
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:young adult, fantasy, new zealander, 21st century, read, favorite, read: 2011, fiction, 1111 challenge

The Shattering by Karen Healey (2011)

I found it a quick read.

I felt like the book let itself down by introducing a true supernatural angle (I would have liked it more if the leads were just paranoid, and I feel as though that would have mixed better with the overall mystery).

All in all, an interesting look into area of the world that doesn't get much exposure in literature - or, at least, not here in the US in the world of YA. ( )
  majesdane | Aug 8, 2017 |
3.5 stars

In a beautiful, touristy small town in New Zealand, Keri has just lost her older brother to suicide. When an old friend, Janna, comes around and suggests Keri’s brother may actually have been murdered (like Janna’s older brother years before, who was also assumed to have committed suicide), the two meet up with someone from out of town who’s older brother also “committed suicide”. There is an odd pattern here and the three of them are going to find out what’s going on and who actually killed their brothers.

I enjoyed this. It’s YA, so not earth-shattering, but it was enjoyable. Each chapter switches viewpoints between Keri, Janna and their friend Sione, so we get a little bit of everyone’s point of view. ( )
  LibraryCin | May 10, 2017 |
Plot: 4 stars
Characters: 3 stars
Style: 4 stars
Pace: 4 stars

A bit predictable, but love the deft handling of cultures and GLBT and magic all weaving together. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Jun 22, 2014 |
Karen Healey has done it again.
Could NOT put this down.
So good! ( )
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
Karen Healey has done it again.
Could NOT put this down.
So good! ( )
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
For my younger siblings,
Scott, Ben and Gina,
the first players in my first stories.And for Carla,
who knows all about families,
born and chosen.
The first time I broke my arm, I was ready for it.

When a rash of suicides disturbs Summerton, an oddly perfect tourist town on the west coast of New Zealand, the younger siblings of the dead boys become suspicious and begin an investigation that reveals dark secrets and puts them in grave danger.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,997,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible