The Mis-Adventures of Phillip Isaac Penn by…

The Mis-Adventures of Phillip Isaac Penn (edition 2011)

by Donna Peterson

871,035,133 (4)None
Member:TheBookHoarder
Title:The Mis-Adventures of Phillip Isaac Penn
Authors:Donna Peterson
Info:Cedar Fort, Inc. (2011), Hardcover, 96 pages

The Mis-Adventures of Phillip Isaac Penn by Donna Peterson

Pip really dislikes his name and no matter how hard he tries to be good, he always seems to get into trouble at home and at school.

I was smiling the whole time I read this book. It is such a cute, fast read. Pip is a really great character. He reminded me of myself when I was younger. I was always getting yelled at.

I will definitely be recommending this book to everyone. It’s a great book for younger teens and kids, but it’s so much fun that older teens and adults will enjoy it too. ( )
  TheBookHoarder | Jan 19, 2013 |
This is a story that follows a week in the life of Phillip Isaac Penn, otherwise known as "Pip." Each chapter is one day of his life. He is a very misunderstood boy and seems to always be in the wrong place at the wrong time. He is accused of all kids of mayhem, but he always seems to have good intentions.

The character Pip reminds me a lot of Luke Dunphy on the TV Show, Modern Family. He seems a little ADHD and everyone around him has a difficult time understanding why he does the things he does even though it makes complete sense to him. I kept picture Luke in my head while I was reading this book.

As a teacher, I had a really difficult time reading about how badly his teacher treated him EVERY DAY. Everything was his fault even before he was given a chance to explain, even after he was proven innocent just the day before. As a teacher, I understand how hard it can be to deal with challenging students, but I'd like to think that I'd give all my students a fair chance to explain before blaming them for something. I kept wanting Pip to defend himself in the story. To explain himself and his actions, but it seemed like he wasn't given enough chances to do so.

I didn't really care much for the pictures because they looked a lot like sketches and didn't quite match up to the nice cover, but I did like the discussion questions at the end, which would be good to use as a parent reading this book with their child over the summer break.

Even though, it really bothered me how Pip was picked on by everyone around him, I did enjoy how he reflected upon each day and how he planned on making the next day better. I kept wanting him to find redemption at the end, but the author did a good job of showing that it really is hard to be a kid.

Overall:
I think kids would enjoy this story of the adventures of a very much misunderstood boy. I can especially see young boys (ages 6-10) enjoying it. ( )
  jasminemarie | Dec 20, 2011 |
From the back of the book:

"Friday morning my sister, K.D., was shouting something about her hair gel being all over the countertop. My Mom wanted to know why the baking soda was sprinkled around the sink and why it was foaming up and smelled like vinegar. Then my dad asked me why his shaving cream was all over the bathroom mirror.

Whether it's pop quizzes and peanut butter, or model glue and flying stew, being good is just awful hard sometimes! Everybody calls Phillip Isaac Penn, Pip, although usually it's at the top of their lungs. Hey, it's not his fault that he forgot to close the cage door and the classroom mice got out. And how was he supposed to know that blow driers and bathtubs don't mix?

Pip is always finding himself in the middle of some kind of trouble, and no wonder! Every day of the week, there are dirt clods to dodge, liars to expose, and dirty cheats to foil. Plagued by problems, Pip somehow manages to figure out a few things that maybe -- just maybe -- will keep him out of hot water the next time. Hey, it's not easy being a kid!"

What I liked about the book: Pip reminds me of Ramona, Clementine, Judy Moody and Big Nate. This is a wonderful addition to the genre of books about kids who mean well, but just haven't quite learned how to make wise choices. (And even though my copy of the book compares it to Diary of a Wimpy Kid, I have to disagree. Pip means well, but I'm so sure Greg does.) Written by a teacher, this book explores things from both the point of view of Pip and the adults in his life. At the end of each chapter Pip takes time to reflect on where his day went wrong. While he admits that he made some less than wise choices, he is also honest about his feelings. The author includes discussion questions at the end of the book, making this an excellent choice for a classroom read-aloud. Students will identify with Pip and will be entertained by the scrapes he gets into - adults will appreciate Pip's efforts to understand where he went wrong and his efforts to change his behavior.

What I didn't like about the book: There was only one thing that bothered me slightly. Pip's adventures (mis-adventures) are rather humorous, but I have to admit that I worried that kids who read this book might get some ideas for their own misadventures.
Recommended for 2nd Grade and up (and anyone who spends time with elementary students.)

Mrs. Archer's rating: 5 of 5! ( )
  Booklady123 | Aug 19, 2011 |
My thoughts:
This is a wonderfully entertaining story about a week in the life of a young boy who seems to spend most of his time getting into trouble. It is a story that will have all adult readers remembering at least one young man they have known. Pip, as everyone calls him, seems to radiate trouble which just compounds upon itself. The descriptions of Pip's feelings about the situations he gets himself into are great. I love how he seems to "get" a lesson of some sort out of each day and still end it with his firm belief that the things that happen aren't his fault because it's just not easy being a kid.
Each chapter in the book is one day in his life. As a reader you start to feel sorry for Pip. I found myself laughing, shaking my head, making the "that's not fair" face, and cheering all at different points throughout the story.
The book is short, the humor is abundant and Pip is a fantastic character. I would recommend this as an elementary read aloud for certain. It would be fun for students to start or end the day hearing about Pip's adventures. ( )
  DragonLibrary8 | Jun 25, 2011 |
This book was adorable. It follows a week in the life of Phillip Isaac Pen, or Pip. He's your typical young boy, always getting into trouble. Sometimes he's innocent, sometimes he's not. He is always fun though. Each chapter begins a day, often with Pip already getting into trouble before the day begins. Each chapter also highlights a particular person causing Pip trouble.

I had fun reading this, remembering what it was like to grow up with brothers. Pip may get into trouble, but he always means well. I like that Pip readily acknowledged what he might have been able to do differently in each situation. He understood that even with good intentions, some things should not be done. The illustrations were so cute. This will be a great book for younger children who are just starting chapter books. It even includes questions at the end for some great discussion with your kids! Overall, it was a very enjoyable children's book.

Galley provided by publisher for review. ( )
  l_manning | May 31, 2011 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible