Hidden in Paris by Corine Gantz

Hidden in Paris

by Corine Gantz

This book was okay. The writing was good, which always makes the reading easier when the storyline isn't always the best. The writer states this was self published in there may have been typos, thankfully there were any I didn't notice. The characters were incomplete , but could have been really good if flushed out. Everything did wrap up an awfully nice bow at the end though. Everyone got their man to move towards happily ever after. That classifies this is a romance to me, it was a bit disappointing. Also the author focus a lot of time and energy on the first month, then the remaining six months flew by with barely anything. I don't think she did a bad thing and spending more time on this months me slowed the storyline to crawl, but felt unbalanced to me.
For additional reviews please see my blog at www.adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com
  Serinde24 | Sep 5, 2015 |
This book is set in Paris and follows the trials and tribulations of Annie, an expat whose husband tells her he is leaving her and then dies in a car accident. She is widowed with small children and can no longer afford her life and lifestyle. To make ends meet, she decides to offer room and board in her home. Two women, Lola (and her kids) and Althea, answer her ad and move in with all of their literal and figurative baggage. Lola is a former fashion model whose husband is verbally abusive to her. Althea is a 20-something anorexic. Among these three characters, most contemporary issues are addressed. Not to mention the two male characters and a variety of secondary characters. Regrettably, Paris was not an integral part of the novel, and others have questioned the accuracy of the references to Paris landmarks. The story is a good distraction which will make most readers feel their lives are not nearly so chaotic. It's a bit like an old-fashioned soap opera with a modern twist. The book is good for when you don't want to think too much. ( )
  Hanneri | Jun 12, 2015 |
Hidden in Paris. Corine Gantz. 2011. After reading Sandcastle Girls, I really needed something light to read so I started this Kindle book. I loved reading about Paris even though this book was set on the right bank in the 16th Arrondissment and there was rarely a mention of the 5th and 6th Arrondissments where Jim and I spent most of our time. We did spend a day at the Marmottan museum and saw Monet’s “Impression: Sunrise” and lots and lots and lots of water lilies. And we saw the other impressionist and post-impressionist painting there by all the artists you’ve heard of: Renoir, Manet, etc. We also spent an hour or so in the room devoted to illuminated manuscripts. There was a lovely park near the museum and we had a classic late lunch in an old turn of the century hotel. Oh, the book! Annie lives in a rambling old house in the 16th with her husband Johnny and three little boys. When her husband dies unexpectedly, Annie decides to rent rooms rather than return to the United States, or sell the house she loves. Johnny’s aristocratic French friend, Lucas, is always around to help and advise her. Annie rents rooms to a rich American runaway wife and her children, another to an anorexic American woman and another to Lucas’ friend, a handsome artists. All the lives run together in a predictable but fun way! ( )
  judithrs | Mar 23, 2014 |
I received this copy as a Goodreads First Read.

It was an enjoyable book, albeit a few typos due to the fact that it is self-published. The author was generous to send a list of the typos and really for the most part didn't distract from the reading.

What would you do if you were an American widow with 3 kids who has lived in Paris for 10 years, with financial worries? If the choice was selling your home or opening it to tenants, I would do the same thing that Annie did and bring in the tenants.

Not only Annie, but each of her tenants, needs to confront their past in order to heal themselves to reach the future. Each one does it in their own special way that makes it seem realistic in the end ( )
  Barbara_Ell | Jun 30, 2011 |

In a tale of friendship, self-discovery and love, three women running away from their lives become unlikely friends in a beautiful house in the heart of Paris. Lost in France, a country she mistrusts, among French people she hardly understands, Annie has trouble venturing away from home since the death of her husband. And since home happens to be a small jewel of a house nestled in the heart of Paris, why would she ever want to? But when bankruptcy threatens her beloved house, her one anchor in life, Annie has no choice but to find renters, and quick. Leave it to someone socially phobic to phrase a want ad in all the wrong ways. With shimmering promises of 'Starting over in Paris' -- -- a concept she has no intention of applying to her own life -- -- Annie attracts tenants with the kind of baggage that doesn't fit in suitcases. A long-legged, cool-headed ex model (everything Annie is not) on the run from her abusive husband, a frail young woman harboring a possible death wish, a mysterious French artist, and an infuriating blue-blooded French man soon threaten Annie's way of life in ways she never anticipated. But when Annie finds herself reluctantly yet actively engaged in the rescue of her tenants, she discovers that she might just save herself in the process.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,763,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible