The Last Word by Ellery Adams

The Last Word (edition 2011)

by Ellery Adams

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Mystery

The Last Word by Ellery Adams

English (18)  Piratical (1)  English (19)
When an award-winning author is murdered in Oyster Bay (North Carolina), the Bayside Book Writers join forces once again to help one of their members, Police Chief Sawyer Rawlings, find the killer. Before he died, Nick Plumley was very curious about the house bought by one of the group members, Harris Williams. In fact, Plumley tried to buy the house even after Harris had made an offer on it.

Olivia Limoges, a member of the writers’ group, decides to look into the history of the house and that research leads her into the story of a prisoner-of-war camp located on the island during World War II. When Harris discovers something valuable hidden in his new house – a watercolor painted by a POW – Olivia looks in the history of the artist.

The Book by the Bay series is cozy but with an edge. And Olivia is a marvelous heroine. In the first book, she was an ice princess … but every book has her opening her heart. In The Last Word, she opens her heart to her new half-brother, sister-in-law, niece and nephew. I’ve ordered the rest of the books in this series and hope to do a little binge-reading in the weeks ahead. ( )
  NewsieQ | Nov 8, 2016 |
I generally love cozies but I had so much trouble getting myself to read this one. I am giving up on page 50. I don't like the main character. She is too cold for my liking. She is rich, with two restaurants and plenty of businesses. She reminds me of someone that I know who had a bad childhood but never connects with people. I am ashamed of myself, I should be more tolerant but when I read this book, it is like forcing myself through the pages. I love the location and would love to visit that area but it strains my patience to not like Olivia Limoges and have the book progress so slowly. ( )
  Carolee888 | Jun 29, 2016 |
Ellery Adam's just gets better and better, The Last Word is my favorite by far. In this, the third in series, Olivia has brought her half-brother and his family to Oyster Bay. As if dealing with a recently discovered brother isn't enough, Olivia's also opening another restaurant and a famous author wants to attend the writer's group she belongs to. But before the meeting the author is killed and because he was so interested in the group, or rather in one of the group member's, Harris' home, Olivia feels she has to investigate. Once again I didn't know who the killer was until the end. Ms. Adams has got the pace down keeping us engaged but still connecting to the characters. Can't wait till the next book. ( )
  mmoj | Aug 16, 2015 |
"All houses have secrets."

Olivia Limoges and the Bayside Book Writers are excited about Oyster Bay's newest resident: bestselling novelist Nick Plumley, who's come to work on his next book. But when Olivia stops by Plumley's rental she finds that he's been strangled to death. Her instincts tell her that something from the past came back to haunt him, but she never expects that the investigation could spell doom for one of her dearest friends.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,716,331 books! | Top bar: Always visible