The Last Word by Ellery Adams

The Last Word (edition 2011)

by Ellery Adams

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Mystery

The Last Word by Ellery Adams

In Adams’ mystery novel, Olivia and the Bayside Book Writers are once again on the case. When bestselling author Nick Plumley arrives in town thinking about putting down roots, everyone is excited. But after the author stops by for one of the writer’s meetings, everyone is perplexed that he appears more interested in checking out the digs rather than discussing his work. Prompted by curiosity, Olivia stops by his bungalow one day unannounced only to find him very dead. She can conclude only one thing—something in his past caught up to him.

Another strong addition to the A Books by the Bay Mystery series. ( )
  debbieaheaton | Jan 26, 2014 |
The Last Word is the third in the Books By The Bay Mystery series, and in my opinion the best one.

Olivia has a full plate these days, what with her trying to help Harris find his dream house, working with Laurel and her personal problem and the opening of a new restaurant to be run by her half brother. Then the famous author Nick Plumley takes up residence in Oyster Bay. It is thought he has moved here to work on his sequel to his award winning book. It seems that he wants the same house that Harris wants. Then Harris finds painting hidden in the house and it is learned that it was done by a POW in WWII camp that was located not far from Oyster Bay.

As the story unfolds, Olivia's concerned with the birth of her nephew who has to have emergency surgery and this gives her time to think about why Plumley just has to have the same house Harris. Upon returning to Oyster Bay, Olivia decides to visit Plumley and take the painting to show him. But, arriving at the house where he is living she finds that he has been killed.

Olivia in researching the history at the camp soon learns that two of the prisoners had broken out of the camp and killed one of the guards in the process. These prisoners had had some freedoms while interned at the camp and one had struck up a friendship with a young girl in Oyster Bay.

Now it is up Olivia to unravel the history of the paintings, understand just which of the prisoners had killed the guard and to finally tie it back to the murder of Plumley.

Another wonderful story from Oyster Bay. All the interesting characters from the previous books are back to help Olivia to solve the mystery.

Looing forward to the next book of Oyster Bay, Written in Stone. Which will be ut around September or so. ( )
  yoder | Sep 20, 2013 |
This is my favorite book of the Books by the Bay Series, and probably one of my favorite "cozy" mysteries ever. Interesting character development of already-smart characters, a coastal North Carolina setting, plus a little North Carolina history thrown in, made this a book I hated to see come to an end this afternoon!

One of the things I really like about this book is that none of the characters come across as nosy. I've been noticing the nosiness trait in mysteries lately, but not in this book. Refreshing, really. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
The Books by the Bay series just keeps getting better and better. In "The Last Word" the author group that contains all of Olivia's closest friends get involved with a famous author, an author who wrote about the POW camp in North Carolina, not all that far from their home. When said author turns up dead Olivia and friends are determined to find out who killed him, and why.

With lots of red herrings, a very expensive and famous painting, and plenty of personal twists and turns this story packs a whole lot of emotion into the mystery.

Now, really looking forward to the next book. ( )
  bookswoman | Mar 31, 2013 |
First Line: "All houses have secrets."

Olivia Limoges has hired her half-brother and his wife to manage her newest restaurant in Oyster Bay, North Carolina. Opening day is just a few days away, last minute details are piling up, and the last thing she needs is to be drawn into a flap over a famous author moving to town. But drawn in she is when the author seems to be very interested in the house that friend and fellow Books by the Bay Writers group member Harris Williams is determined to buy.

At first it seems that bestselling author Nick Plumley is merely interested in the house and its history because of the new book he's writing. But when he turns up dead, Olivia has to think that there's more to his interest than meets the eye. And if Plumley was interested in the house, does that mean that new homeowner Harris is in danger with a killer on the loose?

Of all the cozy mystery series that I read, this is one of my very favorites. The character of Olivia Limoges just grabs me by the heart and takes off running. Aside from some superficial differences like money, looks, and age, I could almost believe that Olivia is based upon me because so many of our emotional reactions to people and things are the same. From Olivia's feeling like an outsider to her reaction to children to her judging people based on their reactions to her dog, I "get" this woman, and once I'm this emotionally involved in a book it's almost impossible for me not to devour it as quickly as possible.

Yes, the plot is an interesting one, and I loved the tie-in with the actual World War II prisoner of war camp in nearby New Bern. Adams' sense of misdirection was marvelous, and I was kept guessing clear through to the end. But as any connoisseur of cozies knows, it's not the plot that keeps us coming back for more, it's the cast of characters. The spirit of friendship and support that flows through Olivia and her writers group is wonderful, and although each member has flaws, none is from Central Casting. There's no requisite busybody, femme fatale, or bumbling police officer amongst them, and each character gets his or her moment to shine and to develop. What an absolute treat!

In the mood for a cozy that not only will keep you guessing but will give you several new fictional friends? I heartily recommend Ellery Adams' Books by the Bay series. ( )
  cathyskye | Dec 18, 2012 |
"All houses have secrets."

Olivia Limoges and the Bayside Book Writers are excited about Oyster Bay's newest resident: bestselling novelist Nick Plumley, who's come to work on his next book. But when Olivia stops by Plumley's rental she finds that he's been strangled to death. Her instincts tell her that something from the past came back to haunt him, but she never expects that the investigation could spell doom for one of her dearest friends.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,418,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible