Third grave dead ahead by Darynda Jones

Third grave dead ahead (edition 2012)

by Darynda Jones

Member:MrsMich02
Title:Third grave dead ahead
Authors:Darynda Jones
Info:New York : St. Martin's Press, 2012.
Collections:Read but unowned

Third Grave Dead Ahead by Darynda Jones

English (40)  Piratical (1)  All languages (41)
Charley isn’t sleeping – and because she’s a Grim Reaper, she’s managed to get by without sleep for 15 days, all an attempt to avoid Reyes in her dreams. Of course, a sleep deprived Charley isn’t exactly healthy or reasonably Charley – and no amount of sleep deprivation will stop Reyes escaping and approaching her in real life. He’s broken out of prison to find his step-father – the man he was thrown in prison for murdering. He’s alive, he’s out there and Reyes intends to clear his name

Of course Charley has a busy life and in addition to tackling Reyes and his handy-knife-wielding, she has a missing doctor’s wife (and a suspicious doctor) and an animal loving motorcycle gang to deal with. Also, her dad wants her to quit her job.

A lot of the elements I love about this series are very much present in this book. Charley is fun, immensely, incredibly fun. She’s ridiculously silly, she will wisecrack about anything and for some reason it doesn’t annoy me. I’d theorised in the last book that her super-healing combined with her lack of fear of death was part of the reason why she was so irreverent and reckless – but I recognise I may be stretching to try and justify an unrealistic element of a book I just find so fun. So, yes, it may not make sense, but it’s excellent. Almost as excellent as the way she bounces of Cookie – the Banter between these two best friends is hilarious and I could honestly read an entire book that just involves her and Cookie going about their day, solving a case without any supernatural elements at all.

Yes, it does get ridiculous at times – like when she is literally being threatened with death and even tortured (though through that we do get a much darker feel so the comedy doesn’t continue forever) and her comedic sleep deprivation and driving was off the mark – with zero sense of the risk that poses to others.

I liked each of the storylines – and we had three separate ones in this book. Charley looking for her client’s missing wife (which also had excellent portrayals of the different forms an abusive, controlling relationship can take), clearing Reyes’s name (which was probably the weakest investigation because it, ultimately, relied on the perpetrator trying to kill Charley which is always a rather weak investigative tool) and a brief, but fun interaction with Charley and the biker gang and the acquisition of her new guardian. I liked all of these stories individually – but collectively the story was left a little distracted – too many things going on which is then mixed with Charley’s book-long sleep deprivation means the book often loses focus and there’s a few times when I forgot an actual plot line was ongoing.

A far greater problem for me is Reyes. The oh-so-very-very-very sexy love interest. And I don’t care – I don’t care how sexy he is or if he has a body beyond all concept of beauty, he has crossed so many lines now that I cringe every time he appears. In this book he takes Charley hostage at knife point, he threatens her family, her hurts her, kidnaps her and is generally irredeemable. And Charley doesn’t see it – she continues to make excuses for him and mentally justify his actions and seems to think that “he’s ruthless and will do whatever he needs” is some kind of excuse rather than a great big warning flag that he needs to be dropped yesterday. Worse, his endless sexiness (and the fact that Charley can’t even sleep because of the lure of his sexy sexy body) becomes more cringeworthy because it feels like Charley is tolerating this completely intolerable abuser not because of fear or even a moral drive for justice even if he’s evil – but because he’s just that hot.

Thankfully towards the end of the book Charley does realise that Reyes has finally crossed a line into unforgiveable territory (or, rather, he crosses yet ANOTHER line) and she ends angry with him. This leaves me hoping that that anger lasts more than 10 minutes in the next book, but I suspect it won’t.

Still, one element I do like is Charley finally confronting the way most of the men in her life treat her time and time again. They rely on her abilities, are quite willing to use her abilities to their own advantage – but at the same time don’t trust her skills or competence enough to give her all the information they need even while they use her or put her at risk for their own ends. At times, like her father in the last book, this comes with the twist of both putting Charley at risk for their own agenda and then deciding not to tell her anything for her own “protection.” It really does an excellent job of showing how ridiculous the whole “protective” idea is – because it’s not about protection, it’s about control and trust. It’s about making Charley’s (or any woman for that matter) decisions for her and making use of her without having to deal with her own opinions or wishes.

Read More ( )
1 vote FangsfortheFantasy | Apr 18, 2015 |
Judging by the fact that I was still up reading this at 2:40 am I'd say it's pretty darn good. Charley is still just amazing! Toward the end I thought I was going to have to break up with the series because I got so upset however Ms Jones pulled me through and has me chomping at the bit for the fourth book. I will say with this being the first book in the series I've read and not listened to I really missed the narrator. She does a much better job of bringing the characters to life than the voices in my head. I really want to hear her take on Donovan's voice and I can't wait to learn more about his character in general. This biker gang brings some interesting possibilities. Oh and Reyes, we can never forget Reyes. *dreamy sigh*

This is a bunch of rambling I know but when a book is good to me I can't keep my thoughts about it in order. 4.5 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
I simply love this series! Love the snarkiness of Charlie and her relationships with Cookie, Ubie, Reyes, Swopes. ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
Contemporary, Suspense, Romantic Elements

Albuquerque, New Mexico

Charley Davidson is both a private investigator and the grim reaper. Now she drinking copious amounts of caffeine to stay awake. She knows that if she doesn’t the moment she closes her eyes she is going to see Reyes Farrow again. He is also the part-human son of Satan. Charley may have imprisoned him for all eternity but is that any reason for him to haunt her with his plan of seduction and revenge? She has to solve a missing person case. She is also having to deal with a motorcycle gang bent on murder, try and calm her curmudgeonly dad and also handle an ego-driven doctor. Reyes is getting in the way of all that and making life difficult.

This is another Charley Davidson book that is sure to please fans of the series. The humor is there in spades and makes for a book that readers won’t want to put down. They will want to see how Charley gets out of her latest difficulties and see just what is going to happen next. The story also takes some very fun twists that makes for a book that will have readers laughing out loud and wanting to read the next book in the series right away. This is proving to be a series that is addictive and a lot of fun to read. It will also have readers hoping for many more books in this series. This is a must read. ( )
  lrhubble | Dec 28, 2014 |

bookjunkie57 | Sep 22, 2014 |
“. . . despite a few slight disappointments, Third Grave Dead Ahead is still incredibly enjoyable and as entertaining as always. Charley is still on top of her game. Reyes is still as sexy and smoking hot as ever, and Darynda Jones still keeps you coming back and begging for more.”

Darynda Jonesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Carol and Melvin, aka the crazy people next door. Love you, love you, love you.
There was a dead clown sitting in my living room.

"Paranormal private eye. Grim reaper extraordinaire. Whatever. Charley Davidson is back! And she's drinking copious amounts of caffeine to stay awake because, every time she closes her eyes, she sees him: Reyes Farrow, the parthuman, part-supermodel son of Satan. Yes, she did imprison him for all eternity, but come on. How is she supposed to solve a missing persons case, deal with an ego-driven doctor, calm her curmudgeonly dad, and take on a motorcycle gang hellbent on murder when the devil's son just won't give up?"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

466 wanted3 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,256,388 books! | Top bar: Always visible