Charley Davidson, Book 3: Third Grave Dead…

Charley Davidson, Book 3: Third Grave Dead Ahead (edition 2012)

by Darynda Jones

Member:skullduggery
Title:Charley Davidson, Book 3: Third Grave Dead Ahead
Authors:Darynda Jones
Info:Hachette Digital (2012), Kindle Edition, 320 pages
Collections:Digital Library, Fantasy & Science Fiction
Tags:@ebook, fiction, fantasy, urban fantasy, paranormal romance, humour

Third Grave Dead Ahead by Darynda Jones

English (50)  Piratical (1)  All (51)
Third Grave Dead Ahead
3.5 Stars

A solid story and likable characters but the snarky humor is starting to get old.

Charley is a great heroine - strong willed, witty and sarcastic. She is, however, having some problems with the men in her life - Reyes is having some anger management issues (that tends to happen when you bind someone against their will), her father is suffering from an overdose of guilt, Garrett's desire to strangle her is reaching epic proportions, and Owen Vaughn still hates her with a vengeance although we do finally find out why. Thanks goodness for UB and the Biker Dudes or Charley might have to go into witness protection.

The plot revolves around two mysteries - one new: the disappearance of a doctor's wife, and one ongoing: is the man Reyes was sent to prison for killing actually still alive? Both storylines are action packed and interesting with the latter leading to a heart pounding climax and a couple of twists I just didn't see coming.

All in all, the Charley Davidson series is extremely entertaining and is a must read for fans of dark, sexy and tortured heroes. Yes, Reyes has his anti-hero, assholic moments but I, for one, can't help loving the unpredictability of his character. Looking forward to Charley finding out what she's capable of. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
This is the third book in the Charley Davidson series. Each book of this series gets better and better; Jones is doing so much right with this urban fantasy series. Right now there are ten books in this series with the eleventh book, Eleventh Grave in Moonlight, expected to release in Jan 2017.

I have been listening to this book on audiobook and the narrator does an awesome job on narrating this series. Lorelei King IS Charley, she sounds exactly like I imagine Charley would and does an wonderful job with other characters’ voices and with conveying emotion. If you like to listen to audiobooks I would highly recommend listening to this series on audiobook.

A lot happens in this book. Charley and Reyes are on the outs but somehow every time Charley falls asleep Reyes is there angry and yet...wanting. To solve this issue Charley has decided not to sleep...at all...for weeks at a time. Things get more complicated when Charley starts working on a missing person’s case and Reyes escapes from prison.

These books are written in a way that is witty and funny (sometimes a bit over-the-top eye-rolling funny...but in a good way). I love Charley and her quirky way of misinterpreting what people say...that and her extremely humorous view on death in general. Reyes is amazing and frustrating and dangerous all at once and I am glad we got to see more of him in this book than we did in the last book.

Again in this book Charley figures out a little bit more about her awesome Grim Reaper powers. I also loved that she gets a Guardian as well (and no it’s not who you think it might be).

There are so many things that Jones is doing right in this series. I love the mystery, the action, the humor, the characters, the teasing, and growth Charley goes through. The way she handles Charley being the Grim Reaper is extremely cool as well. I just can’t wait to see where this series is going.

Overall this was an amazing continuation of this series. The book is incredibly engaging and hard to stop reading. I love the characters, the mystery, and the action. The humor is incredibly refreshing and fun; Charley is so quirky and weird that you just have to love her. I would recommend to those who enjoy UF/PNR that is on the lighter side. This series reminds a bit of Molly Harper’s Jane Jameson series. ( )
  krau0098 | Sep 16, 2016 |
Third book in the Charley Davidson series. Charley is the " Grim Reaper" but earns her living as a private investigator. Darynda Jones gives the image of the "Grim Reaper" a unique and different twist from our cultural acceptance of this frightening figure. Lot's of tongue in cheek repartee that is just plain fun to read. Can't wait to read more ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jun 1, 2016 |
Ron McLarty, Orlagh Cassidy
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
In this third installment, Charley is at her funniest and yet most serious. As the story starts, Charley is trying desperately not to sleep . . . because when she does, all she sees is Reyes . . . and he doesn't want to just cuddle! She is involved in solving a missing person case with a too-perfect husband, a former football player brother, and a worried sister. Of course, there are demons to battle as they try to get to Charley, the most powerful grim reaper ever. Charley also finds out more about the bikers who own the run-down asylum where Rocket and his sister, Blue hang out. This book is fast moving, answers some of the questions I've had since the first book, and gives even more to think about. I can't wait for the next book! ( )
  MelAnnC | Feb 29, 2016 |
“. . . despite a few slight disappointments, Third Grave Dead Ahead is still incredibly enjoyable and as entertaining as always. Charley is still on top of her game. Reyes is still as sexy and smoking hot as ever, and Darynda Jones still keeps you coming back and begging for more.”

Darynda Jonesprimary authorall editionscalculated
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Carol and Melvin, aka the crazy people next door. Love you, love you, love you.
There was a dead clown sitting in my living room.

"Paranormal private eye. Grim reaper extraordinaire. Whatever. Charley Davidson is back! And she's drinking copious amounts of caffeine to stay awake because, every time she closes her eyes, she sees him: Reyes Farrow, the parthuman, part-supermodel son of Satan. Yes, she did imprison him for all eternity, but come on. How is she supposed to solve a missing persons case, deal with an ego-driven doctor, calm her curmudgeonly dad, and take on a motorcycle gang hellbent on murder when the devil's son just won't give up?"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

177 wanted3 pay5 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,763,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible