Remainder by Tom McCarthy

Remainder (2007)

by Tom McCarthy

The Mezzanine by Nicholson Baker (machinemachine)
    machinemachine: Obsession with the intimate experience of the present moment binds both these books together
    Who is Mr Satoshi? by Jonathan Lee (alzo)
    Familiar by J. Robert Lennon (sduff222)
    Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk (ACGalaga)

English (35)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (38)
Unsettling tableau of a damaged psyche, the cause/ injury from a falling object hazily referenced. Through financial manipulation of others, the warped narrator is able to play out his jagged sense of reality, in the form of never-ending loops of exacting re-enactments. On the whole I enjoyed this, but the narrator's obduracy of purpose and his relating to the reader his every thought becomes tedious. Reminds me of Auster's New York Trilogy in its "post-modern" atmosphere. ( )
1 vote JamesMScott | Sep 30, 2013 |
Hits a bit hard. Possibly too relatable? Just as a person gets self-conscious seeing their selves in photos or hearing their voices on a recording, I think I may have enjoyed this book on a whole other level if I wasn't distracted by my own reflection.

Empathy isn't strong enough of a word.

It also reminded me of one of me all time favorite Sherlock Holmes quotes: “My mind," he said, "rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for mental exaltation. That is why I have chosen my own particular profession, or rather created it, for I am the only one in the world.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Sign of Four ( )
  Melissarochell | Jul 20, 2013 |
I think what I liked about this book isn't what most people would like...
But I loved reading about how a very efficient person carried out the very complicated and difficult tasks that were required of him by a crazy person with too much money.
It was very deeply satisfying, on a sort of molecular librarian level.
I think this would make a great book club book, because it's not too long and is pretty easy to read, and the weirdness of it would give you a lot to discuss. ( )
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |
Tom McCarthy spins an outlandish, addictive thread to please readers with a penchant for the anti-hero. In his debut novel, Remainder, a nameless survivor of an unnamed accident receives an £8.5 million settlement on the condition that he remains silent on the event. The problem is "fixed" through no fault of his own -- our narrator suffers from memory loss and cannot recall the details of his injury. After stumbling through his initial post-rehab world, the narrator becomes fixated on the idea of rediscovering the fluid, uncalculated movements he once took for granted. With his newfound riches, he enlists the help of a bizarre agency to furnish his fantasy. The narrator invests his time and resources into "re-enacting" real or imagined moments, both mundane and violent. What begins as a bizarre past-time builds toward a tragic end for all those closest to him…

McCarthy is an expert with convincing, first-person narration. This nameless narrator is relatable and has a simple sort of charm to him. For fans of Torchwood out there, all I could picture was Rhys Williams (played by Kai Owen) inhabiting this role. Excellent choice, I should think.

Ideal for: Fans of first-person anti-heroes; Kids who like of experimentation in their fiction; People who love the smell of liver and the constant repetition of piano music (and also hate cordite).(less) ( )
1 vote MizMoffatt | Jan 2, 2012 |
[A] novel of astonishing genius in which an unnamed protagonist, who has suffered an unnameable accident, seeks to uncover real feeling again.

As recompense for his coma-inducing brain injury, the narrator receives a substantial payout from an unnamed party and decides to spend it re-creating—in full-scale—spaces and moments in time.

Tom McCarthyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Асланян, АннаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"For my parents"
About the accident itself I can say very little. Almost nothing.

A man is severely injured in a mysterious accident, receives an outrageous sum in legal compensation, and has no idea what to do with it.

Then, one night, an ordinary sight sets off a series of bizarre visions he can’t quite place.

How he goes about bringing his visions to life–and what happens afterward–makes for one of the most riveting, complex, and unusual novels in recent memory.

Remainder is about the secret world each of us harbors within, and what might happen if we were granted the power to make it real.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:33 -0400)

Traumatised by an accident which 'involved something falling from the sky' and leaves him eight and a half million pounds richer but hopelessly estranged from the world around him, the hero of this novel spends his time and money obsessively reconstructing and re-enacting vaguely remembered scenes and situations from his past.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,822,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible