Remainder by Tom McCarthy

Remainder (2007)

by Tom McCarthy

Recently added byeastlake_uk, BooksOn23rd, drbrand, WakefieldGuy, OceaniaDawn, jshttnbm, private library, thejayray
    The Mezzanine by Nicholson Baker (machinemachine)
    machinemachine: Obsession with the intimate experience of the present moment binds both these books together
    Wolf in White Van by John Darnielle (revbean)
    revbean: Though quite different in a number of ways, Darnielle's Wolf in White Van and McCarthy's Remainder are both stories of men scarred by traumatic events who embrace world-creation as a means of coming to terms with their situations and (re)discovering themselves.… (more)
    Familiar by J. Robert Lennon (sduff222)
    Who is Mr Satoshi? by Jonathan Lee (alzo)
    Survivor: A Novel by Chuck Palahniuk (ACGalaga)

English (36)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (39)
3.5 out of 5. It's just a little too constructed for me. I don't always mind that (obvious construction) but there's an artificiality here that, while I admire it immensely, keeps me at arm's length. Every time a rough edge or a weirdness appeared, McCarthy made pains to smooth it back out - just as the narrator does with the apartment block and the ensuing reenactments. Conceptually, this is interesting - but in practice, a book requires more than just superb craftsmanship. Even the biggest brain requires some heart to balance it out (ed. note - and vice versa, although that's a completely different argument). Otherwise, you're just appreciative of the technical beauty but left cold about the project as a whole. Like I was here.

More at RB: http://ragingbiblioholism.com/2015/06/15/remainder/ ( )
  drewsof | Sep 30, 2015 |
Strange yet plodding and difficult to get through... but I think deliberately so. I knew it would be experimental, I didn't expect it to be so dreary. An unpleasant shock to my literary sensibility, but I'm not sorry I read it. ( )
  amydross | Sep 3, 2015 |
Wow! Hmm.

That could be my whole review.

But let me add some advice. Keep going with this book. The first part gives the impression that you're about to read a confessional weepy survivor story, and then the story veers without warning into a story that grapples in the most graphic way possible with the question of what makes our lives meaningful. It plays with the idea that a few perfect moments in one's life, however brief, are all that is necessary to give life meaning...and then it subverts this idea brilliantly. If you are a skimmer you might be tempted to skim right over some of the repetitive buildup of events. I advise against this and suggest you read as linearly as possible. It's worth making the effort to experience the story fully. ( )
  poingu | Jan 29, 2015 |
Unsettling tableau of a damaged psyche, the cause/ injury from a falling object hazily referenced. Through financial manipulation of others, the warped narrator is able to play out his jagged sense of reality, in the form of never-ending loops of exacting re-enactments. On the whole I enjoyed this, but the narrator's obduracy of purpose and his relating to the reader his every thought becomes tedious. Reminds me of Auster's New York Trilogy in its "post-modern" atmosphere. ( )
1 vote JamesMScott | Sep 30, 2013 |
[A] novel of astonishing genius in which an unnamed protagonist, who has suffered an unnameable accident, seeks to uncover real feeling again.

As recompense for his coma-inducing brain injury, the narrator receives a substantial payout from an unnamed party and decides to spend it re-creating—in full-scale—spaces and moments in time.

Tom McCarthyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Асланян, АннаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"For my parents"
About the accident itself I can say very little. Almost nothing.

A man is severely injured in a mysterious accident, receives an outrageous sum in legal compensation, and has no idea what to do with it.

Then, one night, an ordinary sight sets off a series of bizarre visions he can’t quite place.

How he goes about bringing his visions to life–and what happens afterward–makes for one of the most riveting, complex, and unusual novels in recent memory.

Remainder is about the secret world each of us harbors within, and what might happen if we were granted the power to make it real.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:49 -0400)

Traumatised by an accident which 'involved something falling from the sky' and leaves him eight and a half million pounds richer but hopelessly estranged from the world around him, the hero of this novel spends his time and money obsessively reconstructing and re-enacting vaguely remembered scenes and situations from his past.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,949,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible