The Last Archangel by Michael Young

The Last Archangel (edition 2011)

by Michael Young

Member:Bookswithbite
Title:The Last Archangel
Authors:Michael Young
Info:Bonneville (2011), Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:**

The Last Archangel by Michael Young

The Last Archangel is a thrilling read. With 2012 close at hand, there have been many new releases foreshadowing the future of mankind, most of them dystopian. This one is fantasy. Told from various perspectives as the plot requires, The Last Archangel incorporates angels, demons, and prophecy into a thrilling apocalyptic read that keeps you guessing as to what will happen next.

I love Xandir's brashness and unique sense of humor. He's been alive and working alone for so long that he doesn't know how to communicate well, but he does have a kind heart. He's loved a mortal woman, he has his own morals, and he keeps his promises. Jarom served as great foil to Xandir. While Xandir is corrupted, Jarom is naive, innocent, and entirely lovable.

The setting was also well developed. Young's depiction of the fallen city of Serche is fascinatingly bleak and gruesome. I was both fascinated and repelled by the sinful state of its inhabitants’ lives. I was unable to put down my Kindle even though it was late at night and not the best time to be reading about the city closest to Hell. I also loved the description of the frozen mountains where the "Yeti" is said to dwell and about the true nature of the furry creature. If I had to hide away somewhere, I would love to visit there (in spite of the freezing temperatures).

While it’s not exactly my kind of read, I like the plot. Yearti, Jarom, and Xanir are my favorite characters, and I’m disappointed me at how the story left me hanging in the end. It means that I have to wait before I get to find out what happens to these guys (and there had better be a sequel!). I recommend this book to fantasy lovers of the older teen and adult audiences. ( )
  summerskris | Jul 20, 2011 |
I was drawn in to this book by the summary and the cover. It looked like a unique and interesting read, and it absolutely was. Xandir is an angel that has been sentenced to exile on Earth until the end of the world. When someone with questionable motives presents Xandir with an opportunity to hasten the end of his exile, Xandir is faced with a difficult choice. Throw in his new apprentice cherub Jerom and a woman he Xandir was assigned to be guardian over, and Xandir quickly has his hands very full.

This was a very enjoyable book. I found the beginning to be a bit confusing, but the story quickly found it's legs. It was a great read full of action and danger. Xandir was wonderfully ambiguous. He describes himself one time as a "fence sitter," and I think this is accurate in a good way. He is complex in his reasoning, but he never becomes someone you can't sympathize with. I also thought Eden's story felt a bit unconnected to Xandir (aside from his assignment as her guardian angel), but this was all tie together in the end in ways I did not imagine.

I think what the author did best for me was create some fabulous characters. Jarom, Xandir's new apprentice, was fantastic! I was definitely left wanting to know more about him. Eden's friend Judy was another great person. She was able to be strong, supportive, and fierce all at once. I also adored Yearti. I don't want to say too much and spoil anything, but Yearti was awesome.

This book had all the makings of a great book. If you want action, adventure, and even a little romance, look no further. I felt like this was a unique concept with some surprises in the plot. The characters are probably the most enjoyable part of the book. They are extremely memorable, and help to make this book a very fun read!

Galley provided by publisher for review. ( )
  l_manning | Jul 15, 2011 |
My thoughts:
I wasn't sure what to expect from this one. An angel as a destroyer?
I am a firm believer that you can't have both Justice and Mercy - interesting considering Xandir's swords.
I was pleased to find that I enjoyed the story very much. I was swept into the story from the very beginning. The characters are wonderful. Cleverly created and original in design, they all come with interesting personalities that I found myself drawn to. I was thrilled with the relationships that develop throughout the story and couldn't wait to get to the end!
The story is well written, entertaining, inspirational, and like nothing else I have read lately.
The plot keeps the reader thinking but is a pleasure to read. I hope to see more from him! ( )
  DragonLibrary8 | Jul 13, 2011 |
I really tried to like this book, I did. But I could not just get into it. And that is saying a lot for me as a person who reads constantly. I always do my best to give the book a chance. I forced myself to read half way through and once I found myself constantly re-reading paragraphs, I deceided to set it down. This is my first DNF.

The reason why I could not get into is that while the characters are good, the storyline was not. I had a hard time really stepping into the feel of the story. I love the characters especially Judy and Eden, I could tell right from the start that these two ladies would have a profound affect in the end of the world. As far as the angel part....I am all for biblical parts because I love it. Bibical stuff has always interest me, but these angel were boring. I could not relate nor could I see the characters in my head.

I am sorry that this book did not work out for me the way I intended it. Maybe sometime in the future I will pick it up again and see how it goes. ( )
  Bookswithbite | Jul 3, 2011 |
An unusual fantasy where parallel stories describe the actions of an Archangel (Xandir) and a human woman (Eden) with her college professor/Linguist friend (Jane), as their respective lives intersect during the coming "End of Time". An interesting description of the challenges that an angel must face and the temptations that he is confronted with over eternity and the prices of a wrong choice. I really enjoyed the innocent Cherub (Jarom) who was assigned to accompany Xandir for his earth mission over Xandir's objections. Suffice it to say, this innocent Cherub is the key to the success of Xandir's mission and the salvation of mankind. I was surprised by the extent of the action and original challenges the characters survived. This is a real page turner with no easy opportunity to set the book aside, too many cliff hangers to enjoy any away time. Admittedly, I have little knowledge of the various titles and rankings of the heavenly hosts or the similar titles and rankings for the banished angels or hosts of Lucifer. This is one of the many skirmishes played out between the armies for Good and Evil with the humans as lucky or unlucky pawns between the warring factions. I enjoyed the tale, especially the human traits of the supernaturals. This story has elements from the greatest story of Good and Evil but, is original in it's telling with surprising elements that compel interest. Definitely worth scheduling time to read! ( )
  JosephLYoung | Jun 2, 2011 |

Doomed to serve as a destroying angel until the end of the world, the fallen angel Xandir sometimes wonders what is taking so long. In thousands of years, he has only cared about one person and he was forced to destroy her along with her entire city in the line of duty.

Then a secret brotherhood approaches him and claims that together they can end the world and reunite him with his lost love. To do so, he must enter an ancient sunken city and emerge with a seed from the noxious tree at its center. With the seed’s poison they could construct weapons to bring down the curtain on Earth’s final act. Xandir’s journey takes him around the world, both above and beneath, sending him rushing in where most angels fear to tread.

Xandir, an archangel assigned as a watcher angel over mankind, disobeys heavenly law by interfering with humans. As punishment, he is reassigned as a destroying angel.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,547,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible