Bertie Plays The Blues: 44 Scotland Street…

Bertie Plays The Blues: 44 Scotland Street (44 Scotland Street 7) (edition 2011)

by Alexander McCall Smith

193None60,678 (4.01)11
Member:LizzySiddal
Title:Bertie Plays The Blues: 44 Scotland Street (44 Scotland Street 7)
Authors:Alexander McCall Smith
Info:Polygon An Imprint of Birlinn Limited (2011), Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:in 2011, bought 2011, fiction, British, C21

Bertie Plays the Blues by Alexander McCall Smith

Another visit with dear friends. Perhaps not those who I'd normally "hang out" with, however, have come to enjoy their foibles, quirks, and finer points as I've read these 7 volumes. And I will be going to my library website and requesting #8 as soon as I finish typing this.
Truly enjoy this author's descriptions, depictions, gentle philosophies and nearly side splitting dry humor as he follows this cast through several years of Edinburgh life.
Many times go back and re-read sections, realizing that he's slipped some * ighty-fine writin'* in those last paragraphs. ( )
  CasaBooks | Mar 14, 2014 |
Bertie and all of the gang from Scotland Street have returned for another installment. A compilation of columns that author McCall Smith writes for a UK newspaper have now been compiled into book format for American readers. Here, Bertie's father, Stuart, actually begins to stand up to his wife Irene, who remains quite irritating. Go, Stuart! It's about time. Also, Matthew and Elspeth try to cope with their newborn triplets and find it's a bit more than they ever imagined possible. And Domenica and Angus face the decision of where to live after they marry and whether to even marry. Big Lou looks for a new man. Lots of good stuff! ( )
  kblinn | Mar 2, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this latest installment in the 44 Scotland Street series. I skipped The Unbearable Lightness of Scones because I couldn't get into it (despite the awesome title) but I may go back and read it now. The characters feel like old friends and the series seems to have found its center, in Bertie. ( )
  bearette24 | Oct 25, 2013 |
More goings on in Scotland Street and its environs. Is there a glimmer of hope that Irene will become a little less awful?

This series is basically a written soap opera. Confusing if you leave it for a while but addictive once you pick up the threads again. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Jun 22, 2013 |
I have come to expect only elegant writing from A. McCall Smith, and this book was no exception. In fact, this installment of "44 Scotland Street" is one of my most favorite so far (among all his books, I'd say). It made me happier - as simple as that! It shall never cease to amaze me how he tackles such a great variety of human concerns with such reflective elegance and the most incredible sense of humor. ( )
1 vote Clara53 | Feb 3, 2013 |
This book is for
Mary Davidson
Elspeth Harmony's triplets arrived in the order that was to dog them for the rest of their lives: first, second and third.

Anything could happen to Bertie and the gang, especially with an invitation to one of Scotland's premier jazz festivals.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,508,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible