Bertie Plays The Blues: A 44 Scotland Street…

Bertie Plays The Blues: A 44 Scotland Street Novel (edition 2011)

by Alexander Mccall Smith

Member:frogball
Title:Bertie Plays The Blues: A 44 Scotland Street Novel
Authors:Alexander Mccall Smith
Info:Hachette Digital (2011), Kindle Edition, 310 pages
Tags:Scottish fiction, humour, Edinburgh

Bertie Plays the Blues by Alexander McCall Smith

English (11)  German (1)  All languages (12)
These books keep getting better and better. I am getting into all the stories now, even to seeing the vain Bruce get his comeuppance with a fall by slipping on his hair gel. I like the fact that Mr. McCall Smith challenges me with words to look up and introduces me to artists and authors I may have not known otherwise. ( )
  eliorajoy | Jun 10, 2014 |
Another visit with dear friends. Perhaps not those who I'd normally "hang out" with, however, have come to enjoy their foibles, quirks, and finer points as I've read these 7 volumes. And I will be going to my library website and requesting #8 as soon as I finish typing this.
Truly enjoy this author's descriptions, depictions, gentle philosophies and nearly side splitting dry humor as he follows this cast through several years of Edinburgh life.
Many times go back and re-read sections, realizing that he's slipped some * ighty-fine writin'* in those last paragraphs. ( )
  CasaBooks | Mar 14, 2014 |
Bertie and all of the gang from Scotland Street have returned for another installment. A compilation of columns that author McCall Smith writes for a UK newspaper have now been compiled into book format for American readers. Here, Bertie's father, Stuart, actually begins to stand up to his wife Irene, who remains quite irritating. Go, Stuart! It's about time. Also, Matthew and Elspeth try to cope with their newborn triplets and find it's a bit more than they ever imagined possible. And Domenica and Angus face the decision of where to live after they marry and whether to even marry. Big Lou looks for a new man. Lots of good stuff! ( )
  kblinn | Mar 2, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this latest installment in the 44 Scotland Street series. I skipped The Unbearable Lightness of Scones because I couldn't get into it (despite the awesome title) but I may go back and read it now. The characters feel like old friends and the series seems to have found its center, in Bertie. ( )
  bearette24 | Oct 25, 2013 |
More goings on in Scotland Street and its environs. Is there a glimmer of hope that Irene will become a little less awful?

This series is basically a written soap opera. Confusing if you leave it for a while but addictive once you pick up the threads again. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Jun 22, 2013 |
This book is for
Mary Davidson
Elspeth Harmony's triplets arrived in the order that was to dog them for the rest of their lives: first, second and third.

Anything could happen to Bertie and the gang, especially with an invitation to one of Scotland's premier jazz festivals.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,026,830 books! | Top bar: Always visible