Be Brave, Be Strong: A Journey Across the…

Be Brave, Be Strong: A Journey Across the Great Divide

by Jill Homer

Rounded up from 4.5 stars. A very well written tale of the Ride the Divide mountain bike race from Banff, Canada to the Mexican border. ( )
  patl | Mar 29, 2013 |
I too won this one through LibraryThing. It took me awhile to read the whole thing (nothing to do with the qualities of the book, my life being a little preoccupied at the time). When I did get a chance, I enjoyed this book great deal. It is an evocative and skillfully written story of the writer's experiences travelling the expanse of the North American continental divide as part of the Tour Divide race. An insane undertaking, not something I could imagine myself or most people trying, she perseveres through undeniable physical and personal adversity, and then proceeds to write a superbly written, interesting account ot it. ( )
  brianfergusonwpg | Nov 25, 2011 |
I won this book as a LibraryThing Member Giveaway and apologise for my late review. Unfortunately I was interupted in my reading of it and as yet I have not finished the book but I do hope to get back to it as what I have read so far was well written and the writer/athlete drew me into her world. I am not into sports or endurance feats of any kind but that has not made the book any less interesting or enjoyable. I have awarded 4 stars, so far so good. ( )
  lesleymc | Oct 7, 2011 |
free e-book received in exchange for a review
This is an inspirational story about perseverance and determination. The author took part in a mountain bike race which took her from Canada to Mexico. The story allowed me to get inside the head of a serious athlete and see what drives that type of person. Her descriptions of the vistas and sights that she sees are really captivating. There were some points where I thought more caution could have been taken, such as riding when injured. I am not a serious athletic competitor, but reading this book helped me get a better idea of why they do the tough things they do. Enjoyable story, even for a non-cyclist ( )
  kkunker | Sep 19, 2011 |
The Great Divide is a 2,740 mile mountain bike race from Canada to Mexico across the Continental Divide. Jill, a newspaper editor in Alaska decides to undertake this momentous feat amidst injuries, a break-up and the uncertainty of her career. Jill details her journey through the race as she battles rain, mountains, bicycle breakdown, self-doubt and a tumult of emotions regarding her life.

Let me begin by saying that I did enjoy this book. However, I felt at times that the same things happened over and over and that Jill made monumentally stupid decisions. From repeatedly failing to refill her water bag, to trudging ahead with a failing bicycle and failing to take care of injuries, I am quite amazed that she didn't die of dehydration, exhaustion or exposure to the elements. The book was very well written, Jill is a wonderful story teller and I was cheering as she hit the Mexico border. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Aug 25, 2011 |
For Beat, my next adventure
Each year on the second Friday in June, several dozen mountain bik-
ers from around the world set out to challenge speed records on the
world’s longest off-pavement cycling route, the Great Divide Moun-
tain Bike Route.
We were a blur of gummy-bear-powered speed.

Jill Homer has an outlandish ambition: Racing a mountain bike 2,740 miles from Canada to Mexico along the Continental Divide. But her dream starts to unravel the minute she sets it in motion. An accident on the Iditarod Trail results in serious frostbite. She struggles with painful recovery and growing uncertainties. Then, just two days before their departure, her boyfriend ends their eight-year relationship, dismantling everything Jill thought she knew about life, love and her identity. This is the story of an adventure driven relentlessly forward as foundations crumble. During her record-breaking ride in the 2009 Tour Divide, Jill battles a torrent of anger, self-doubt, fatigue, loneliness, pain, grief, bicycle failures, crashes and violent storms. Each night, she collapses under the crushing effort of this savage new way of life. And every morning, she picks up the pieces and strikes out to find what lies on the other side of the Divide: Astonishing beauty, unconditional kindness, and boundless strength.

Jill Homer, a newspaper editor in the isolated, soggy hamlet of Juneau, Alaska, has an outlandish ambition: Racing a mountain bike 2,740 miles from Canada to Mexico along the Continental Divide. Her preparation plans are equally ambitious: A 350-mile winter bicycle race on Alaska's frozen Iditarod Trail, followed by two months of focused training during a summer sojourn with her boyfriend in the Utah desert. But in the tradition of best-laid plans, Jill's dream begins to unravel the minute she sets it in motion. Less than 25 miles into the Iditarod Trail Invitational, Jill breaks through lake ice and suffers serious frostbite on her foot that forces her to drop out of the race. While she's laid up on crutches and unable to train, Jill's employer coerces her into taking a job that may prevent her from even starting the 2009 Tour Divide. Then, just two days before they planned to embark on their sojourn, Jill's boyfriend ends their eight-year-relationship. This final dismantling of expectations causes Jill to question everything she thought she knew about life, love and her own identity. Faced with a summer of plans they're both reluctant to change, Jill and her now-ex-boyfriend embark on a road trip from Juneau to San Francisco in an effort to salvage a long-term friendship. She vows to repair her crumbling relationship with her ex, but a chance discovery and a jarring bicycle crash reveal the truth -- that their past, and her heart, have been irrevocably broken. She returns alone to her family home in Salt Lake City, Utah, with a vague plan to pick up the pieces and continue pursuing the Tour Divide. Despite a lack of motivation and overarching desire to do something more conducive to "getting on with her life," Jill embarks on a series of training rides to prepare her for the rigors of a self-supported endurance race. She spends long nights huddled in a thin sleeping bag beneath a wash of stars, trying to reconcile her heartbreak and uncertainty. Just days before the start of the Tour Divide, Jill travels to Banff, Alberta, where she meets kindred spirits who help spark greater perspective and new enthusiasm for a solo journey. On June 12, 2009, she joins 42 other racers at the start of the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route. Jill finds herself almost instantly in over her head, facing a sudden deluge of loose gravel, rocky terrain, hard fatigue, violent thunderstorms, difficult route-finding, stream crossings, bear encounters, and seemingly insurmountable obstacles -- and she hasn't even pedaled out of Canada yet. On the third day, Jill meets a veteran Divide racer named John who sustained a knee injury descending a high pass in the rain. They agree to ride together for the day, which stretches into several days as John settles into Jill's pace and Jill enjoys the company of a methodical, results-driven athlete who loves cycling but seems so much unlike her in nearly every other way. They part ways in western Wyoming, and suddenly Jill finds herself facing nearly 2,000 miles of Rocky Mountains backwoods, completely alone. The difficulties compound quickly. Mud and weather slow her progress, knee pains become chronic, food planning errors leave her low on calories, and a rear hub failure nearly strands her in the harsh desert of the Great Divide Basin more than 100 miles from the next town. Brake failure leads to a bad crash in northern Colorado. Amid the mounting demands of her savage new way of life, Jill's sense of civility wears away and her emotions become those of a child, raw and affecting. But Jill's adventure also swings toward the sublime, from the unconditional kindness of strangers to a deliriously beautiful descent from the sweeping mountains above Salida, Colorado. Jill allows herself to believe the worst is behind her, unaware that the most jarring discovery still awaits her beyond the storm-ravaged peaks of the southern San Juan Mountains.… (more)

Jill Homer is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,227,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible