Chasing Sunsets: A Cedar Key Novel by Eva…

Chasing Sunsets: A Cedar Key Novel

by Eva Marie Everson (Author)

Still reeling from a divorce, Kimberly struggles when her ex-husband manipulates a judge into allowing him a longer summer vacation with their boys. At a loss for what to do, Kim finds herself back in Cedar Key, Florida at her family's vacation home. Yearning to recover from the emotional upheavals in her life, she also learns secrets about her own family and finds herself reacquainted with an old friend and an old flame. As she rediscovers past memories and experiences, she also reacquaints herself with God and his role in her life.

Chasing Sunsets deals with serious topics of divorce and alcoholism, but it's not a heavy book. It's also not a light-hearted beach read, but a terrific combination of both. Eva Marie Everson tackles these topics well and her characters are likeable, real people with strengths and weaknesses. I liked Kimberly and Steve. I can't wait for more of Patsy's story to be revealed in the next book.

This is the first in a new series and I look forward to more Cedar Key novels. ( )
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
Due to some glitches with my book club’s selections this fall, I was scrambling to find an alternate for our October discussion. Looking through the many titles on my Kindle, I came upon Chasing Sunsets by Eva Marie Everson. That title had been in the TBR queue for a while and my group read and enjoyed two of her other novels, Things Left Unspoken and The Potluck Club. Add that the book is currently FREE on Kindle, and we got our book! What at first seemed like a second choice soon became a boy-am-I-glad-I-chose-this-one book. Chasing Sunsets is sure to be a hit with my group and create great discussion.

Kim Tucker is one year divorced and still not sure how it happened. As the novel opens things are strained between her and her ex, Charlie. He wants an extra week with their two boys and she is unwilling to give up without a fight. But a biased judge forces Kim to give up some of her time with her kids and gives her an opportunity to go back to Cedar Key to handle a few housekeeping issues for her father. Cedar Key holds wonderful childhood memories for Kim, but was also the scene of heartache and lost love. But being the responsible and dutiful oldest daughter, Kim reluctantly agrees to spend at least a few days at the vacation home. What Kim finds there opens old wounds, exposes secrets and offers a second chance at love.

There are a lot of things to examine in Chasing Sunsets – life after divorce, giving over control to God and confronting past demons. Kim grows in her relationships with family and friends, as well as with God. Characters are credible in their actions and reactions, both good and bad. Kim had a lot to learn and by the end of the book she is well on her way to peace. There are a few loose ends left in the book, making way for two additional books in the series that I am eager to read (Waiting for Sunrise and Slow Moon Rising). A great book for those who like women’s fiction with the plus of being set on a Florida island, Chasing Sunsets will make you eager to grab a cool drink, kick up your feet and lose yourself in its pages.

Highly Recommended.

Audience: Adults. ( )
  vintagebeckie | Oct 10, 2014 |
NCLA Review -Kimberly Tucker's marriage has ended and she doesn't understand why her husband left. Her two sons will be spending several weeks with their father during the summer. She goes to her family's vacation home where she spent many summers growing up. It is a beautiful island retreat of beaches and sunsets that she has not visited in many years. The story is a journey through Kim's unexpected altered life where she learns more about herself, accepts her sister's and mother's alcoholism and has a second chance at love with someone from her past. It is very well written and makes you feel like you are right there on the beautiful island walking along the beach and seeing the sunsets. Eva Marie Everson has written over twenty five books and has won multiple awards. Rating: 4 —PD ( )
  ncla | Oct 2, 2011 |
CHASING SUNSETS by Eva Marie Everson is the first book I’ve read by this author and I think I’ve found a new favorite author to follow!

This is a book of hope, forgiveness, introspection and love. I love the fact that the main character decided to take a trip to Cedar Key by herself to do a little relaxing. For the first time since college, she’s alone for 5 weeks in the summer. She seemed to be at loose ends until she meets her neighbor and “wise woman”, Patsy. This time alone gives Kimberly the opportunity to examine her life, her ended marriage, her family's "hidden" issues and what she wants to do in the future. As in real life, it’s a difficult road to take.

I love that the characters in the book are developed – it’s like you actually know them. When an author can pull that off, I’d say the book will be a success. You want to take sides in the character plots but Ms. Everson brings out both the good & the not-so-good qualities of everyone. No single character is black or white---just like in real life---but they have awesome traits and everyday flaws. Personally I like that in my reading.

Chasing Sunsets is a fabulous summer read---by the pool, in a chaise lounge, or even on the patio. Bring out a fruity drink & you have the makings of a relaxing time just for you. I’m giving this a 5 star rating and look forward to the next book in the series!

Available June 2011 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group. ( )
  iluvf14 | Jun 14, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080073436X, Paperback)

Kimberly Tucker's life hasn't turned out the way she thought it would. A divorced mother of two, Kim resents her ex-husband for moving on with his life and living it up while she struggles to understand what went wrong. When her sons end up spending five weeks of summer vacation with their father, Kim's own father suggests a respite in the family vacation home on tiny Cedar Key Island. As Kim revisits her childhood memories and loves, she soon discovers that treasures in life are often buried, and mistakes--both past and present--become redeemable in God's hand.

Readers will be swept away to an island retreat where they walk alongside Kim as she discovers that God's answers may not come easily, but they do come.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:47 -0400)

Kimberly Tucker's life hasn't turned out the way she thought it would. While her ex is living it up, she struggles to understand what went wrong. When her two sons end up spending five weeks of summer vacation with their father, Kim plans a respite at the family vacation home on tiny Cedar Key. As she revisits the long-forgotten past, she discovers that treasures in life are often buried, and sometimes you do get a second chance at love.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,407,419 books! | Top bar: Always visible