The House of Silk - Audio by Anthony…

The House of Silk - Audio (edition 2011)

by Anthony Horowitz, Derek Jacobi (Reader)

1,231996,459 (3.83)1 / 87
Title:The House of Silk - Audio
Authors:Anthony Horowitz
Other authors:Derek Jacobi (Reader)
Info:Hachette Audio (2011), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Collections:Heard but unowned
Tags:British, mystery, fiction, Sherlock Holmes, audio, nil, borrowed-library, 2012-audio, historical fiction

The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz

Recently added byweeksj10, SupriyaMK, LacyLK, private library, BookNerd1q84, cawilson, Stitswerd, electrice

English (94)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (99)
This was a very well-written story and it echoed Conan Doyle's style very well. I thought the 'crime' covered a very dark and unpleasant area that I doubt the original author would have tackled.
However, it was a gripping tale and great to revisit some old friends.
  rosiezbanks | Nov 14, 2015 |
The Arthur Conan Doyle Estate officially authorized this Sherlock Holmes novel but somehow Anthony Horowitz’s attempt to mimic Doyle's Sherlock novels falls flat leaving the reader without the complexity of Doyle's Holmes.

Similarities are apparent - Watson as the narrator, Holmes' deductions that have to be explained and the back stories of Doyle's but the story itself was not spectacular and in comparison with other non-authorized stories with Holmes , I prefer the ones by Laurie R. King. Here, Holmes was 2 dimensional, he never really came alive. ( )
  cyderry | Nov 12, 2015 |
I'm a huge fan of Laure R. King's version of Sherlock Holmes, and this version doesn't quite match up, although the overall story is probably fairly similar in style and delivery to those of Arthur Conan Doyle. Parts of the story were too convoluted to keep my attention, but I enjoyed the "locked room" mystery of how Holmes escaped prison. I strongly disliked the audiobook narrator's rendition of Holmes' voice, however. Way too high pitched. Jenny Sterlin's rendition (in the Laure R. King books) is what I imagine Holmes actually sounds like. ( )
  PerpetualRevision | Oct 25, 2015 |
A well written Holmesian adventure worthy of the originals. This was wonderful. ( )
  MizPurplest | Sep 21, 2015 |
In The House of Silk, Anthony Horowitz channels Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Dr. John Watson in presenting a "lost" Holmes mystery, for which Watson had given instructions to delay the publication for 100 years out of fear of causing a scandal. Horowitz clearly knows the Holmes canon and perfectly sets this novel within Conan Doyle's work, possibly during The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes or immediately following The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, though there is a possible reference to "The Adventure of the Dying Detective" from His Last Bow. In any event, Horowitz effortlessly evokes the spirit and feel of Conan Doyle's original work.
In this story, Holmes begins by investigating a case of art theft, but quickly finds himself working against the eponymous House of Silk, an organization that affects many highly placed members of British society and is engaged in a crime of the worst sort. Horowitz's skill is in setting Holmes against a crime that few writers prior to the mid-twentieth century would tackle while not losing touch of the characters or their world. Fans of Holmes are sure to delight and even the Conan Doyle Estate gave their blessing to this worthy successor to Conan Doyle's canon. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Aug 24, 2015 |
So, all of the elements are there: the data, the data, the data. Nothing of consequence overlooked. And yet can Horowitz, like Holmes, make from these drops of water the possibilities of an Atlantic or a Niagara? Can he astonish us? Can he thrill us? Are there "the rapid deductions, as swift as intuitions, and yet always founded on a logical basis" that we yearn for?

Emphatically, yes. The characters are, as Conan Doyle himself would have them, as close to cliché as good writing allows. Horowitz's Watson cleverly excuses himself right at the start from any complaints about style or content by reminding us of Holmes's oft-stated judgment of the stories: "He accused me more than once of vulgar romanticism, and thought me no better than any Grub Street scribbler." We must take them on their own terms, then: Mr Carstairs, the troubled dealer in fine art, who is being watched by a mysterious stranger in a flat cap with a "livid scar on his right cheek". Carstairs's wife, the mysterious foreign adventuress. Cornelius Stillman, the bumptious American millionaire. The dastardly Boston Irish gang, led by the ruthless O'Donaghue twins. The madwoman in the attic. The creepy reverend who runs a home for boys. The big set-pieces: the train robbery; the escape from prison; the freak show; the high-speed horse-drawn carriage chase.

Dorothy L Sayers understood the rules of the Holmesian game when she remarked that "it must be played as solemnly as a county cricket match at Lord's: the slightest touch of extravagance or burlesque ruins the atmosphere". Horowitz plays a perfectly straight bat. This is a no-shit Sherlock.

Horowitz, Anthonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jacobi, Sir DerekNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wardle, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
12,13,14 ASH
For my old friend, Jeffrey S. Joseph
I have often reflected upon the strange series of circumstances that led me to my long association with one of the most singular and remarkable figures of my age. If I were of a philosophical frame of mind I might wonder to what extent any one of us is in control of our own destiny, or if indeed we can ever predict the far-reaching consequences of actions which, at the tie, may seem entirely trivial.

The Game is afoot
Baker Street Irregulars
Lead dangerous lives

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316196991, Hardcover)

For the first time in its one-hundred-and-twenty-five-year history, the Arthur Conan Doyle Estate has authorized a new Sherlock Holmes novel.

Once again, THE GAME'S AFOOT...

London, 1890. 221B Baker St. A fine art dealer named Edmund Carstairs visits Sherlock Holmes and Dr John Watson to beg for their help. He is being menaced by a strange man in a flat cap - a wanted criminal who seems to have followed him all the way from America. In the days that follow, his home is robbed, his family is threatened. And then the first murder takes place.

Almost unwillingly, Holmes and Watson find themselves being drawn ever deeper into an international conspiracy connected to the teeming criminal underworld of Boston, the gaslit streets of London, opium dens and much, much more. And as they dig, they begin to hear the whispered phrase-the House of Silk-a mysterious entity that connects the highest levels of government to the deepest depths of criminality. Holmes begins to fear that he has uncovered a conspiracy that threatens to tear apart the very fabric of society.

The Arthur Conan Doyle Estate chose the celebrated, #1 New York Times bestselling author Anthony Horowitz to write The House of Silk because of his proven ability to tell a transfixing story and for his passion for all things Holmes. Destined to become an instant classic, The House of Silk brings Sherlock Holmes back with all the nuance, pacing, and almost superhuman powers of analysis and deduction that made him the world's greatest detective, in a case depicting events too shocking, too monstrous to ever appear in print...until now.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:32 -0400)

With approval from the estate of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, a best-selling novelist and Sherlock Holmes expert brings the greatest detective in literary history back to life on Baker Street for the first time since 1930.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,854,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible