The House of Silk - Audio by Anthony…

The House of Silk - Audio (edition 2011)

by Anthony Horowitz, Derek Jacobi (Reader)

1,108867,473 (3.84)1 / 80
Member:sandragon
Title:The House of Silk - Audio
Authors:Anthony Horowitz
Other authors:Derek Jacobi (Reader)
Info:Hachette Audio (2011), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Collections:Heard but unowned
Tags:British, mystery, fiction, Sherlock Holmes, audio, nil, borrowed-library, 2012-audio, historical fiction

The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz

English (80)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (85)
Never having read ACD, I had no expectations or disappointments. Enjoyable read, although text was not 'final' - twittered about 'Somersville' and Charlestown being placed south of Boston. Apparently corrected in final text. ( )
  KymmAC | Jan 22, 2015 |
Doctor Watson's manuscript tells this "undiscovered story". Anthony Horowitz is faithful to the style, tone, characters and language of the original stories. He offers a number of plots and sub-plots that come together in the end and there are many puzzles and deductions that Holmes has always excelled in along the way. It is a good addition to the Sherlock Holmes library. ( )
  Rhondda | Jan 15, 2015 |
I am not a Sherlock Holmes devotee so I cannot judge how closely Horowitz approaches the style of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. The descriptive passages set the scene thoroughly and establish an appropriately bleak tone for a wintry case of stalking, robbery, and murder. Holmes is suitably clever and Watson struggles to keep up intellectually but never lags in his faithfulness to Sherlock and the plucky bravery to back it up. The plot was somewhat lacking in intensity by today's standards but probably quite appropriate for an homage to Conan Doyle. Horowitz captures Sherlock's enigmatic mix of aloofness, wit, and caring quite well and creates a sensual delight for mystery readers who have read and re-read the canon and long for a "new" tale. Three stars because I'm not a fan of the genre but five stars for Horowitz's bold (an apparently successful, based on other readers' reviews) attempt to match a master. ( )
  bookappeal | Jan 7, 2015 |
‘Show Holmes a drop of water and he would deduce the existence of the Atlantic. Show it to me and I would look for a tap. That was the difference between us.’

In London, during the Autumn of 1890, Holmes and Watson are investigating a seemingly ordinary crime involving rare art and of course murder. Their investigation manages to take them far from the beaten path and propels them straight into a most horrific ongoing crime involving The House of Silk. They hit a brick wall being unable to find any useful information about it but both Holmes and Watson are unable to stop investigating, of course, even with the obvious danger they are putting themselves in by continuing to do so. Watson narrates the tale wonderfully, giving us insight into the quirks of Sherlock and the sheer brilliance of his mind. There are mysteries within mysteries in this story and the inevitable unraveling is truly the best part.

The House of Silk is the first installment in a new Holmes series written by Anthony Horowitz that has been sanctioned and commissioned by the estate of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Horowitz definitely has some big shoes to fill but his writing skills shine and Holmes and Watson feel as if they were never gone. I’m a huge fan of the original Conan Doyle stories and have always been leery of picking up the various pastiches out there; I’d much rather just read the originals. I took the risk once with The Beekeeper’s Apprentice and it quickly became one of my all-time favorites. The House of Silk was my second foray into Holmes pastiches and my luck continued. This was a fantastically faithful representation of everything I love about the originals, yet managed to add a level of excitement that I feel are sometimes missing from the classics. Horowitz did an honorable job of continuing the Sherlock legacy and these are well worth the read to all you Sherlock fans out there. ( )
  bonniemarjorie | Jan 6, 2015 |
READ IN DUTCH

Sherlock Holmes has been immensely popular, ever since the first publication of the novels by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Fan fiction about the characters of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John H. Watson has been written since. Not always has this been a good idea though. But now, after the recent success from BBC Sherlock and American Elementary, The House of Silk certainly made a good impression.

What I liked best about it is that it just reads like a Sherlock Holmes novel by Arthur Conan Doyle. The story feels like other Sherlock Holmes' stories without feeling repetitive. Anthony Horowitz has done a great job recreating the style and world of the original Sherlock Holmes world. For that reason I just really liked the book, and I would definitely recommend this novel! ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
So, all of the elements are there: the data, the data, the data. Nothing of consequence overlooked. And yet can Horowitz, like Holmes, make from these drops of water the possibilities of an Atlantic or a Niagara? Can he astonish us? Can he thrill us? Are there "the rapid deductions, as swift as intuitions, and yet always founded on a logical basis" that we yearn for?

Emphatically, yes. The characters are, as Conan Doyle himself would have them, as close to cliché as good writing allows. Horowitz's Watson cleverly excuses himself right at the start from any complaints about style or content by reminding us of Holmes's oft-stated judgment of the stories: "He accused me more than once of vulgar romanticism, and thought me no better than any Grub Street scribbler." We must take them on their own terms, then: Mr Carstairs, the troubled dealer in fine art, who is being watched by a mysterious stranger in a flat cap with a "livid scar on his right cheek". Carstairs's wife, the mysterious foreign adventuress. Cornelius Stillman, the bumptious American millionaire. The dastardly Boston Irish gang, led by the ruthless O'Donaghue twins. The madwoman in the attic. The creepy reverend who runs a home for boys. The big set-pieces: the train robbery; the escape from prison; the freak show; the high-speed horse-drawn carriage chase.

Dorothy L Sayers understood the rules of the Holmesian game when she remarked that "it must be played as solemnly as a county cricket match at Lord's: the slightest touch of extravagance or burlesque ruins the atmosphere". Horowitz plays a perfectly straight bat. This is a no-shit Sherlock.

Anthony Horowitzprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jacobi, Sir DerekNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wardle, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
12,13,14 ASH
For my old friend, Jeffrey S. Joseph
I have often reflected upon the strange series of circumstances that led me to my long association with one of the most singular and remarkable figures of my age. If I were of a philosophical frame of mind I might wonder to what extent any one of us is in control of our own destiny, or if indeed we can ever predict the far-reaching consequences of actions which, at the tie, may seem entirely trivial.

The Game is afoot
Baker Street Irregulars
Lead dangerous lives
(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316196991, Hardcover)

For the first time in its one-hundred-and-twenty-five-year history, the Arthur Conan Doyle Estate has authorized a new Sherlock Holmes novel.

Once again, THE GAME'S AFOOT...

London, 1890. 221B Baker St. A fine art dealer named Edmund Carstairs visits Sherlock Holmes and Dr John Watson to beg for their help. He is being menaced by a strange man in a flat cap - a wanted criminal who seems to have followed him all the way from America. In the days that follow, his home is robbed, his family is threatened. And then the first murder takes place.

Almost unwillingly, Holmes and Watson find themselves being drawn ever deeper into an international conspiracy connected to the teeming criminal underworld of Boston, the gaslit streets of London, opium dens and much, much more. And as they dig, they begin to hear the whispered phrase-the House of Silk-a mysterious entity that connects the highest levels of government to the deepest depths of criminality. Holmes begins to fear that he has uncovered a conspiracy that threatens to tear apart the very fabric of society.

The Arthur Conan Doyle Estate chose the celebrated, #1 New York Times bestselling author Anthony Horowitz to write The House of Silk because of his proven ability to tell a transfixing story and for his passion for all things Holmes. Destined to become an instant classic, The House of Silk brings Sherlock Holmes back with all the nuance, pacing, and almost superhuman powers of analysis and deduction that made him the world's greatest detective, in a case depicting events too shocking, too monstrous to ever appear in print...until now.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:50 -0400)

With approval from the estate of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, a best-selling novelist and Sherlock Holmes expert brings the greatest detective in literary history back to life on Baker Street for the first time since 1930.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,170,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible