The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz

The House of Silk (edition 2012)

by Anthony Horowitz

993788,624 (3.86)1 / 74
Member:Eyejaybee
Title:The House of Silk
Authors:Anthony Horowitz
Info:Orion (2012), Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Fiction, Crime, Historical, Sherlock Holmes, Murder, Dr Watson, London, Victorian England, Nineteenth century

The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz

Recently added byFliss88, private library, pcollins, comstockhouse, jmdziadik, Ashlyns, janillabean, Pmmenon

English (74)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (78)
A fascinating new foray into the mind of Sherlock Holmes. Horowwitz does a fine job of writing in the style of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and his attention to historical detail brings this atmospheric novel to life.
  LibraryGirl11 | Jun 16, 2014 |
It's been awhile since I've read a Sherlock Holmes story, so I was excited to see that Anthony Horowitz was authorized by Arthur Conan Doyle's estate to write a new Sherlock Holmes mystery. It's a tough act to follow, but I found this story to fit in line with my memory of the series. Holmes was his usual abrupt and know-it-all self and Watson was the perfect chronicler of the tale. I really enjoyed the appearance of some of the 'old gang' - Mycroft and LeStrade, specifically. The mystery was a good one - a bit on the dark side - but had some good elements that showcased the Victorian setting. Enjoyable! ( )
  jmoncton | May 21, 2014 |
If I had never read the genius which is Arthur Conan Doyle I would have liked this book. I however, have read the original Sherlock Holmes and loved it. Rather than try to put his own interpretation on the stories for me Anthony Horowitz tries to imitate the previous author and this was simply not for me. I understand that the original remit for the author may have been to copy the style completely but then this book left me thinking it was a poor imitation and was not really needed in todays market.
As mentioned by other reviewers there are clear inconsistencies with the story and the original although this did not spoil the story for me as I have not studied the original text clear enough for this to be an issue. I just simply found the book hard to get into and the story uninspiring. I was never eager to pick it up again and start reading. It didn't help that the production of my book made it hard to read as a paperback as it was unyielding and hard to hold.

Having completed this read I have to say that I would prefer to stick to the original literature and am not going to look at any of these new stories again. However, I will eagerly still read other works by this author. ( )
  samarnold1975 | Apr 23, 2014 |
Authorized by the Doyle estate, Anthony Horowitz has written one of the best Sherlock Holmes stories since Doyle himself was writing. With the loyal Watson as his narrator, Holmes is brought back to life. While I am not a Holmes scholar I am a huge fan and have read the entire canon several times. This book feels very much like all those original stories.

This story is set somewhere in the middle of all the earlier Doyle stories, before the Reichenbach Falls episode but after the Red-Headed League. The two adventures of this book are tied together but have very distinct story lines. One is about a flat-hat worn by a villain and the other is the House of Silk. Because they both involve some very high powered people, Watson claims he couldn't write about them until most of the parties had died.

I do hope that Horowitz continues with more Holmes books, this one was excellent and I would love to read more. ( )
  bookswoman | Apr 10, 2014 |
The initial mystery was okay (the flat cap gang one.) The house of silk mystery however started out good, but upon finding out what it was, became disturbing. ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
So, all of the elements are there: the data, the data, the data. Nothing of consequence overlooked. And yet can Horowitz, like Holmes, make from these drops of water the possibilities of an Atlantic or a Niagara? Can he astonish us? Can he thrill us? Are there "the rapid deductions, as swift as intuitions, and yet always founded on a logical basis" that we yearn for?

Emphatically, yes. The characters are, as Conan Doyle himself would have them, as close to cliché as good writing allows. Horowitz's Watson cleverly excuses himself right at the start from any complaints about style or content by reminding us of Holmes's oft-stated judgment of the stories: "He accused me more than once of vulgar romanticism, and thought me no better than any Grub Street scribbler." We must take them on their own terms, then: Mr Carstairs, the troubled dealer in fine art, who is being watched by a mysterious stranger in a flat cap with a "livid scar on his right cheek". Carstairs's wife, the mysterious foreign adventuress. Cornelius Stillman, the bumptious American millionaire. The dastardly Boston Irish gang, led by the ruthless O'Donaghue twins. The madwoman in the attic. The creepy reverend who runs a home for boys. The big set-pieces: the train robbery; the escape from prison; the freak show; the high-speed horse-drawn carriage chase.

Dorothy L Sayers understood the rules of the Holmesian game when she remarked that "it must be played as solemnly as a county cricket match at Lord's: the slightest touch of extravagance or burlesque ruins the atmosphere". Horowitz plays a perfectly straight bat. This is a no-shit Sherlock.

Anthony Horowitzprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jacobi, Sir DerekNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wardle, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
12,13,14 ASH
For my old friend, Jeffrey S. Joseph
I have often reflected upon the strange series of circumstances that led me to my long association with one of the most singular and remarkable figures of my age. If I were of a philosophical frame of mind I might wonder to what extent any one of us is in control of our own destiny, or if indeed we can ever predict the far-reaching consequences of actions which, at the tie, may seem entirely trivial.

The Game is afoot
Baker Street Irregulars
Lead dangerous lives
(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316196991, Hardcover)

For the first time in its one-hundred-and-twenty-five-year history, the Arthur Conan Doyle Estate has authorized a new Sherlock Holmes novel.

Once again, THE GAME'S AFOOT...

London, 1890. 221B Baker St. A fine art dealer named Edmund Carstairs visits Sherlock Holmes and Dr John Watson to beg for their help. He is being menaced by a strange man in a flat cap - a wanted criminal who seems to have followed him all the way from America. In the days that follow, his home is robbed, his family is threatened. And then the first murder takes place.

Almost unwillingly, Holmes and Watson find themselves being drawn ever deeper into an international conspiracy connected to the teeming criminal underworld of Boston, the gaslit streets of London, opium dens and much, much more. And as they dig, they begin to hear the whispered phrase-the House of Silk-a mysterious entity that connects the highest levels of government to the deepest depths of criminality. Holmes begins to fear that he has uncovered a conspiracy that threatens to tear apart the very fabric of society.

The Arthur Conan Doyle Estate chose the celebrated, #1 New York Times bestselling author Anthony Horowitz to write The House of Silk because of his proven ability to tell a transfixing story and for his passion for all things Holmes. Destined to become an instant classic, The House of Silk brings Sherlock Holmes back with all the nuance, pacing, and almost superhuman powers of analysis and deduction that made him the world's greatest detective, in a case depicting events too shocking, too monstrous to ever appear in print...until now.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:50 -0400)

With approval from the estate of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, a best-selling novelist and Sherlock Holmes expert brings the greatest detective in literary history back to life on Baker Street for the first time since 1930.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible