SantaThing sign up ends in 17 minutes (23:00 GMT) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

The House of Silk: The New Sherlock Holmes…

The House of Silk: The New Sherlock Holmes Novel (Sherlock Holmes Novel 1) (edition 2011)

by Anthony Horowitz

1,4431105,200 (3.83)1 / 113
Member:siberian_island
Title:The House of Silk: The New Sherlock Holmes Novel (Sherlock Holmes Novel 1)
Authors:Anthony Horowitz
Info:Orion (2011), Kindle Edition, 305 pages
Rating:*****

The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz

Recently added byannesadleir, Bengan, David.Manns, FiLoMa, RobertPop, private library, LarsTH, SLVLIB, The_Book_Nook, Rena37

English (106)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Piratical (1)  English (110)
To give them their due, the Conan Doyle estate has been very protective of the Holmes legacy, so the appearance of The House of Silk was something of a surprise. A new Holmes novel by the man responsible for Alex Rider and Midsomer Murders? Hmm.

But, Mr Horowitz, it turns out, knows his Reichenback from his Valley of Fear. He does a great approximation of Doyle's prose style and while the evocation of Victorian London isn't quite what it could be, he keeps the intertwined stories that make up the plot moving along at a nice pace. The appearance of America and secret criminal societies (a pet device of Conan Doyle, used in both A Study in Scarlet and The Valley of Fear) is a nice touch, as is the fleeting appearance of a certain master criminal. The familiar characters are here, Lestrade, Mrs Hudson, The Baker Street Irregulars (indeed these young street urchins play a major and tragic part in the story) and Horowitz gets the interplay between Holmes and Watson just about right.

To my mind there is a dip in the middle of the novel but that is a small quibble in a book that is almost twice the length of any Holmes novel by Doyle himself. To my mind Doyle only wrote one entirely successful Holmes novel anyway: The Sign of Four. His forte was the short story and it is still my preferred way to experience the great detective.

That said The House of Silk is an enjoyable read. The plot is robust enough to stand scrutiny and is probably more shocking than anything Doyle would, or could have written back in Holmes' heyday. Very well done indeed. ( )
  David.Manns | Nov 28, 2016 |
Good story line, typical Sherlock Holmes tale with lots of twists and turns. I was left guessing right up until the last. What I enjoyed the most about this Audiobook, was the narration, by Derek Jacobi, it was absolutely fantastic! Being such an acclaimed actor and one of my favourites, he read it like a play, and I was totally enthralled. ( )
  Fliss88 | Oct 1, 2016 |
There have been a lot of Sherlock Holmes stories produced since Arthur Conan Doyle stopped writing them himself, and the ones I've read have ranged all over the place, from the excellent to the ridiculous. This one has the unusual distinction of being authorized by Doyle's estate, but that didn't strike me, in itself, as any guarantee of quality. I'm pleased to say, though, that it is, in fact, really good. Although it's surely not a story that Doyle himself would have written, it captures the feel of a Holmes story, both the style and the plot, extremely well, giving more of the sense of reading an authentic new Holmes story than probably any other attempt I've seen. But there is a hint of freshness to it, too, including a touch of social commentary not really seen in the original. That could have seemed heavy-handed or out of place, but I think it ultimately works pretty well. The exact same thing could be said of the inevitable little touches of Holmes-fan indulgence, including at least one brief character appearance that was not really necessary, but enjoyable anyway. And the mystery itself -- actually two intertwined mysteries -- is very engaging, with lots of crazy twists and revelations and Holmes, as usual, being two steps ahead of both Watson and the reader the entire time. I'm actually a little surprised by just how thoroughly I enjoyed it all. ( )
1 vote bragan | Aug 11, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book, and wasn't really expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. Anthony Horowitz did a fantastic job of writing a Sherlock Holmes book. Had me hooked and couldn't put it down! If you like Sherlock Holmes do read this. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
The House of Silk – Anthony Horowitz
Audio version performed by Derek Jacobi

4 stars

Comfortably, if tediously, confined to a nursing home, the elderly Dr. Watson is once more musing over his famous friend. Officially ‘sanctioned’ by the estate of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Anthony Horowitz brings one more adventure to the Sherlock Holmes canon. This story has all of the elements typical of a Holmes/Watson investigation and for the most part stays very true to the originals.

The story begins very much like a typical Holmes adventure. A client comes to Baker’s Street with a story concerning an art theft and an Irish American gang called the Flat Cap Gang. As the first mystery becomes entwined with the darker events involving The House of Silk, Horowitz is able to touch upon subjects that Conan Doyle would never have placed in a story. Naturally, Dr. Watson stipulated that the story should not be published in his lifetime. Twenty-first century sensibilities creep into the narrative subtly, but do not prevent it from maintaining the essence of the originals. Horowitz allows Dr. Watson to provide more realistic and damning descriptions of the extreme poverty and degradation of London’s underside. Sherlock Holmes is forced acknowledge his responsibility for the safety of his Baker Street Irregulars. Much of the mystery seemed fairly obvious all along, but there were still a few twists at the end which, as usual, only Holmes had anticipated.

Derek Jacobi gave Dr. Watson a very believable voice. I enjoyed his performance of this book.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
So, all of the elements are there: the data, the data, the data. Nothing of consequence overlooked. And yet can Horowitz, like Holmes, make from these drops of water the possibilities of an Atlantic or a Niagara? Can he astonish us? Can he thrill us? Are there "the rapid deductions, as swift as intuitions, and yet always founded on a logical basis" that we yearn for?

Emphatically, yes. The characters are, as Conan Doyle himself would have them, as close to cliché as good writing allows. Horowitz's Watson cleverly excuses himself right at the start from any complaints about style or content by reminding us of Holmes's oft-stated judgment of the stories: "He accused me more than once of vulgar romanticism, and thought me no better than any Grub Street scribbler." We must take them on their own terms, then: Mr Carstairs, the troubled dealer in fine art, who is being watched by a mysterious stranger in a flat cap with a "livid scar on his right cheek". Carstairs's wife, the mysterious foreign adventuress. Cornelius Stillman, the bumptious American millionaire. The dastardly Boston Irish gang, led by the ruthless O'Donaghue twins. The madwoman in the attic. The creepy reverend who runs a home for boys. The big set-pieces: the train robbery; the escape from prison; the freak show; the high-speed horse-drawn carriage chase.

Dorothy L Sayers understood the rules of the Holmesian game when she remarked that "it must be played as solemnly as a county cricket match at Lord's: the slightest touch of extravagance or burlesque ruins the atmosphere". Horowitz plays a perfectly straight bat. This is a no-shit Sherlock.

Horowitz, Anthonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jacobi, Sir DerekNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wardle, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
12,13,14 ASH
For my old friend, Jeffrey S. Joseph
I have often reflected upon the strange series of circumstances that led me to my long association with one of the most singular and remarkable figures of my age. If I were of a philosophical frame of mind I might wonder to what extent any one of us is in control of our own destiny, or if indeed we can ever predict the far-reaching consequences of actions which, at the tie, may seem entirely trivial.

The Game is afoot
Baker Street Irregulars
Lead dangerous lives
(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316196991, Hardcover)

For the first time in its one-hundred-and-twenty-five-year history, the Arthur Conan Doyle Estate has authorized a new Sherlock Holmes novel.

Once again, THE GAME'S AFOOT...

London, 1890. 221B Baker St. A fine art dealer named Edmund Carstairs visits Sherlock Holmes and Dr John Watson to beg for their help. He is being menaced by a strange man in a flat cap - a wanted criminal who seems to have followed him all the way from America. In the days that follow, his home is robbed, his family is threatened. And then the first murder takes place.

Almost unwillingly, Holmes and Watson find themselves being drawn ever deeper into an international conspiracy connected to the teeming criminal underworld of Boston, the gaslit streets of London, opium dens and much, much more. And as they dig, they begin to hear the whispered phrase-the House of Silk-a mysterious entity that connects the highest levels of government to the deepest depths of criminality. Holmes begins to fear that he has uncovered a conspiracy that threatens to tear apart the very fabric of society.

The Arthur Conan Doyle Estate chose the celebrated, #1 New York Times bestselling author Anthony Horowitz to write The House of Silk because of his proven ability to tell a transfixing story and for his passion for all things Holmes. Destined to become an instant classic, The House of Silk brings Sherlock Holmes back with all the nuance, pacing, and almost superhuman powers of analysis and deduction that made him the world's greatest detective, in a case depicting events too shocking, too monstrous to ever appear in print...until now.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:32 -0400)

With approval from the estate of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, a best-selling novelist and Sherlock Holmes expert brings the greatest detective in literary history back to life on Baker Street for the first time since 1930.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,653,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible