The House of Silk: The New Sherlock Holmes…

The House of Silk: The New Sherlock Holmes Novel (Sherlock Holmes Novel 1) (edition 2011)

by Anthony Horowitz

944None9,161 (3.86)1 / 73
Member:siberian_island
Title:The House of Silk: The New Sherlock Holmes Novel (Sherlock Holmes Novel 1)
Authors:Anthony Horowitz
Info:Orion (2011), Kindle Edition, 305 pages
Rating:*****

The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz

19th century (17) 2011 (7) 2012 (23) 2013 (7) adventure (6) audio (8) audiobook (8) crime (36) crime fiction (18) detective (28) ebook (13) England (19) fiction (99) historical (8) historical fiction (21) historical mystery (12) Holmes (11) London (33) murder (15) mystery (115) novel (12) own (7) pastiche (14) read (8) read in 2012 (10) sherlock (7) Sherlock Holmes (100) to-read (35) unread (6) Victorian (12)

English (71)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (75)
Authorized by the Doyle estate, Anthony Horowitz has written one of the best Sherlock Holmes stories since Doyle himself was writing. With the loyal Watson as his narrator, Holmes is brought back to life. While I am not a Holmes scholar I am a huge fan and have read the entire canon several times. This book feels very much like all those original stories.

This story is set somewhere in the middle of all the earlier Doyle stories, before the Reichenbach Falls episode but after the Red-Headed League. The two adventures of this book are tied together but have very distinct story lines. One is about a flat-hat worn by a villain and the other is the House of Silk. Because they both involve some very high powered people, Watson claims he couldn't write about them until most of the parties had died.

I do hope that Horowitz continues with more Holmes books, this one was excellent and I would love to read more. ( )
  bookswoman | Apr 10, 2014 |
The initial mystery was okay (the flat cap gang one.) The house of silk mystery however started out good, but upon finding out what it was, became disturbing. ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
Horowitz does a riveting read in this continuation of the Sherlock Holmes stories. He stays true to the characters. Watson narrates this story that leads to a house of ill-repute. Of course the trail goes in different directions, but in the end Holmes, even after escaping from jail, solves the case. I listened to the audio version and it was superb. ( )
  brangwinn | Feb 25, 2014 |
Perfectly fine version of Holmes with a central conspiracy that Doyle wouldn't have written. ( )
  MikeRhode | Feb 21, 2014 |
So, all of the elements are there: the data, the data, the data. Nothing of consequence overlooked. And yet can Horowitz, like Holmes, make from these drops of water the possibilities of an Atlantic or a Niagara? Can he astonish us? Can he thrill us? Are there "the rapid deductions, as swift as intuitions, and yet always founded on a logical basis" that we yearn for?

Emphatically, yes. The characters are, as Conan Doyle himself would have them, as close to cliché as good writing allows. Horowitz's Watson cleverly excuses himself right at the start from any complaints about style or content by reminding us of Holmes's oft-stated judgment of the stories: "He accused me more than once of vulgar romanticism, and thought me no better than any Grub Street scribbler." We must take them on their own terms, then: Mr Carstairs, the troubled dealer in fine art, who is being watched by a mysterious stranger in a flat cap with a "livid scar on his right cheek". Carstairs's wife, the mysterious foreign adventuress. Cornelius Stillman, the bumptious American millionaire. The dastardly Boston Irish gang, led by the ruthless O'Donaghue twins. The madwoman in the attic. The creepy reverend who runs a home for boys. The big set-pieces: the train robbery; the escape from prison; the freak show; the high-speed horse-drawn carriage chase.

Dorothy L Sayers understood the rules of the Holmesian game when she remarked that "it must be played as solemnly as a county cricket match at Lord's: the slightest touch of extravagance or burlesque ruins the atmosphere". Horowitz plays a perfectly straight bat. This is a no-shit Sherlock.

Anthony Horowitzprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jacobi, Sir DerekNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wardle, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
12,13,14 ASH
For my old friend, Jeffrey S. Joseph
I have often reflected upon the strange series of circumstances that led me to my long association with one of the most singular and remarkable figures of my age. If I were of a philosophical frame of mind I might wonder to what extent any one of us is in control of our own destiny, or if indeed we can ever predict the far-reaching consequences of actions which, at the tie, may seem entirely trivial.

The Game is afoot
Baker Street Irregulars
Lead dangerous lives
(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316196991, Hardcover)

For the first time in its one-hundred-and-twenty-five-year history, the Arthur Conan Doyle Estate has authorized a new Sherlock Holmes novel.

Once again, THE GAME'S AFOOT...

London, 1890. 221B Baker St. A fine art dealer named Edmund Carstairs visits Sherlock Holmes and Dr John Watson to beg for their help. He is being menaced by a strange man in a flat cap - a wanted criminal who seems to have followed him all the way from America. In the days that follow, his home is robbed, his family is threatened. And then the first murder takes place.

Almost unwillingly, Holmes and Watson find themselves being drawn ever deeper into an international conspiracy connected to the teeming criminal underworld of Boston, the gaslit streets of London, opium dens and much, much more. And as they dig, they begin to hear the whispered phrase-the House of Silk-a mysterious entity that connects the highest levels of government to the deepest depths of criminality. Holmes begins to fear that he has uncovered a conspiracy that threatens to tear apart the very fabric of society.

The Arthur Conan Doyle Estate chose the celebrated, #1 New York Times bestselling author Anthony Horowitz to write The House of Silk because of his proven ability to tell a transfixing story and for his passion for all things Holmes. Destined to become an instant classic, The House of Silk brings Sherlock Holmes back with all the nuance, pacing, and almost superhuman powers of analysis and deduction that made him the world's greatest detective, in a case depicting events too shocking, too monstrous to ever appear in print...until now.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:50 -0400)

With approval from the estate of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, a best-selling novelist and Sherlock Holmes expert brings the greatest detective in literary history back to life on Baker Street for the first time since 1930.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,486,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible