Going Underground by Susan Vaught

Going Underground

by Susan Vaught

Heartbreaking. Very good story. Scary. ( )
  kweber319 | May 13, 2019 |
Using a current hot button issue and putting a realistic face to it, is not a new way to come up with a plot, but Vaught makes her characters believable and likable. After an unfortunate incident 3 years ago, 17 year old Del suffers from the results of a ridiculous and over-zealous felony conviction. Frozen by lack of choices, as well as fear of making bad ones, Del struggles to figure out if he even has a future.
While this book does deal with (as already stated) a hot button issue, I didn't feel as if Vaught was writing the book thinking, "ahhh, this can be used in classrooms and children and adults can learn from it and the world will be a better place." This is refreshing and earns the book 4 stars. That being said, the book actually will provoke good discussions and may actually help kids make better choices (just don't sext, kids!) ( )
  VanChocStrawberry | Apr 2, 2018 |
Read the full review at Short & Sweet Reviews.

YA "contemporary issues" books don't always work very well for me, as they often feel forced, like someone just wanted to jump on the bandwagon of a popular, maybe controversial, issue. Going Underground didn't feel cheap or forced, however, and Del's narration and inner thoughts felt very real. He doesn't always sound like a 17-year old boy (or, at least, the 17 year old boys that I remember), but maybe that's because his circumstances have vastly changed his life and, in many ways, isolated him from most other people. He was an interesting narrator because you could see when things started to click in his head and when he decided to take control of his own life. I didn't expect to spend most of the last quarter of the book near tears, moved by Del's struggles, but I definitely found myself blinking back tears at several points. I also really enjoyed the role that music played over the course of the book. Several chapters are introduced with a "theme" song to set the tone. I'm a huge music nerd so I really appreciated the mini-soundtrack that the author provides. ( )
  goorgoahead | Dec 4, 2013 |
Actual rating: 3.5 stars ( )
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |
Review from ARC from co-worker (probably originally from publisher)

I was worried that some of the subject matter might squick me, but for the most part it was okay. ( )
  kcarrigan | Aug 26, 2013 |
"Where am I to go, now that I've gone too far?" --Twilight Zone, by Golden Earring
For anybody who doesn't know what they want to be when they grow up.  For anybody who doesn't know--or care--what growing up is supposed to mean.  For Livia, who wanted to see her name in a book.  And for Fred, even though her name is really Frank.
Dead zones.  Dead zones are places without life, without feeling, without air.

Interest in a new girl and pressure from his parole officer cause seventeen-year-old Del, a gravedigger, to recall and face the "sexting" incident three years earlier that transformed him from a straight-A student-athlete into a social outcast and felon.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,763,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible