Out of Oz by Gregory Maguire

Out of Oz

by Gregory Maguire

Series: The Wicked Years (4)

Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: What happens to children who spend what feels like years in a magical world, and are then unable to reintegrate with our own world when they return?

I really wanted to love this book. I would find myself just aching for plot, character, emotion, anything to compel me further. I adore Mr. Maguire and could not wait for the final Oz book to come out and alas, here it is and I hate it. I hope it's me and not the author. Maybe I'm just not in the mood for Oz right now, perhaps I am being overly critical but I just felt pulled along on the flat ramblings of a long dead story. Too harsh? Sigh. ( )
  ambersnowpants | Aug 23, 2018 |
I liked a lot of it, and trudged through more, but the last few sections... WTF?
As long and drawn out as most of the book is, I couldn't believe one the end major parts was like only 2 sentences long. I nearly missed it.
And the very end, seriously, wtf? ( )
  shorte | Feb 26, 2018 |
Well, I liked the Glinda parts. ( )
  majesdane | Aug 8, 2017 |
It has Maguire's characteristically slow pacing, but fans of the series will find this a satisfying conclusion. ( )
  Birdo82 | Jan 16, 2017 |
The best of the four. ( )
  Contusions | Dec 23, 2016 |

Gregory Maguireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Smith, DouglasIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Cassie Jones
It would take Dorothy Gale and her relatives three days to reach the mountains by train from Kansas, the conductor told them.

The marvelous land of Oz is knotted with social unrest: The Emerald City is mounting an invasion of Munchkinland, Glinda is under house arrest, and the Cowardly Lion is on the run from the law. And look who’s knocking at the door. It’s none other than Dorothy. Yes, that Dorothy.

Amid all this chaos, Elphaba’s granddaughter, the tiny green baby born at the close of Son of a Witch, has come of age. Now, Rain will take up her broom in an Oz wracked by war.

The stirring, long-awaited conclusion to the extraordinary bestselling series begun with Wicked, Out of Oz is a magical journey rife with revelations and reversals, reprisals and surprises — the hallmark’s of the brilliant and unique imagination of Gregory Maguire.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060548940, Hardcover)

“Elphaba’s Heirs and Assigns” by Gregory Maguire

Depending on how you count the years, I am about at my 25th anniversary of the original inspiration for Wicked. I was on a walk on a country road in Massachusetts, thinking myopically and somewhat self-regardingly about various offenses that I felt had been perpetrated against me. I was wondering about how apparently trustworthy people could turn dangerous, or if they really had been dangerous all along, merely well-disguised, even from themselves? A standard issue college dorm question, I suppose, but the matter seemed urgent to me that year. I moved from the slightly sore subject of my personal life into the realm of imagination to keep the question alive without it hurting so much, and almost immediately I thought of the Wicked Witch of the West--admittedly, more Margaret Hamilton than L. Frank Baum--and I wondered: Was she always terrible?

The momentary crisis of that year, combined with attention to acts of evil and distress in our larger world a few years later, brought me into Oz and the world of Wicked. Still, even eight years later when Wicked was first published, I hadn't expected that the story would remain a presence in the world. I had an imagination big enough to see into every cranny of Oz, but not big enough to imagine that anyone else might get interested, and stay interested.

After the story of Elphaba hit the bookstores, the national bestseller lists, the book clubs, and then the Broadway stage, the increasing attention to the story prompted me to go back and follow up the clues I had liberally sprinkled in the first book. Son of a Witch posited that Elphaba and Fiyero had an illegitimate boy, and considered the troubles he would have first growing up with the Witch as a negligent mother and then, even worse, with his negligent mother gone from his life. A Lion Among Men followed up with the Cowardly Lion's tale. Why the Lion and not the Tin Woodman or the Scarecrow, readers ask me. For a number of reasons, but chief among them is that the Lion is an Animal, and Elphaba's concern for the flight of talking Animals makes his life story more urgent to the themes of the Wicked Years sequence.

So finally we come to Out of Oz, the fourth and I believe final book in the series. I feel both elated and elegiac to be bringing it to readers. I get to revisit characters I love--Glinda, under house arrest; the Cowardly Lion, on the run from the law; Liir, the Witch's boy; and a little girl growing up in the shadows who may be pivotal to the resolution of military and social struggle in Oz.

Oh, and yes--Dorothy too. Dorothy Gale. That Dorothy. She comes on for something more than a curtain call. Face it: you always knew Dorothy was too strong a force to stay buckled down on the Kansas prairie, didn't you? No earthly gravity can hold that girl in one place for long: she defies gravity, too, only without the broomstick.

Come for a visit and stay a while. (It's over five hundred pages!) Out of Oz is, I hope, out of this world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:39 -0400)

The wonderful land of Oz is plagued by social unrest and, amid the chaos and threat of war, Elphaba's granddaughter comes of age and is ready to take up her broom.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,533,626 books! | Top bar: Always visible