Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Watch That Ends the Night: Voices from…

The Watch That Ends the Night: Voices from the Titanic

by Allan Wolf

Other authors: Jon Klassen (Cover artist)

The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell (Joles)
    Joles: Both books are written in verse and are written for a YA audience about historical events.

Read a review of the audiobook version of this novel in verse, telling the story of the sinking of the Titanic as experienced by 20 real passengers and crew (as well as a ship's rat, the iceberg, and an undertaker), at Bookin' It. ( )
  rdg301library | Nov 20, 2018 |
Rating: To Come

I am beyond excited to read this extremely unique book about the legendary Titanic. It is told in 24 point of views including a ship rat and the tragic iceberg. The entire story is told as a very long free-verse poem with makes the story even more intriguing.

I have always been fascinated with the historic Titanic. I've seen the movie, that stars Leonardo DiCaprio, countless times. I have been to various museums. But, I have yet to find that one book that speaks to the true events and brings it to life. I hope this book is the one.

Please Note: This is an out-of-publication book. There also is no ebook for this book as there are features to the book that does not allow it to be digitally copied such as many line breaks and slanting (hence imitating the ship sinking).
  ne.may97 | Jan 1, 2018 |
A very unique and fascinating look at an historic event told through the voices of those who were there. If you read one book about the Titanic, let this one be it.

You see, I’m trying both instruments out, runnin’ each through her trials if you like, in order to decide which of the two will be Jock Home’s “life instrument.” The choice is much the same as choosing a wife—maybe even more difficult. Choosing a wife was easy enough for me. Mary Costin will soon be the mother of my child. So Mary will be the lady of my house, but my violin, she will become the voice of my soul.
-Allan Wolf (The Watch That Ends the Night: Voices From the Titanic p 74)
And I wondered how the word boy could possibly apply to both my vile annoying brother and the pretty thing before me, standing on the crane.
-Allan Wolf (The Watch That Ends the Night: Voices From the Titanic p 78)
Man’s fatal flaw is misplaced optimism: through hubris, it refuses to understand that chaos is the ruling law of Nature while order’s just a futile dream of man.
-Allan Wolf (The Watch That Ends the Night: Voices From the Titanic p 95)
Mrs. Candee commented that all of us passengers reminded her of a fancy-dress party in hell. And I quite agreed. Everyone wore a hodgepodge combination of sleepwear, evening wear, and winter wear—all of it layered in disarray. The orchestra added to the effect when it assembled on deck and launched into an endless series of ragtime tunes.
-Allan Wolf (The Watch That Ends the Night: Voices From the Titanic p 323) ( )
  nicolewbrown | Jul 31, 2016 |
This book was brilliant. Interesting - even enchanting at times - and succinct, but beautifully poetic, too.

I don't have the words to express the awe this book created for me.
Three specific pages come to mind as being nearly perfect: Mr. Andrews as the ship was going down; the pages depicting the emotions/commotions caused after the ship sank; the baker's page after being in the water for a while.

For these three passages in particular, the aesthetics were as perfect as the words.

Wolf's ability to capture the humanity in his semi-fictional characters (even those non-humans in the mix) made it easy to get lost in the tale ... and my unending interest in the ship that sank on my birthday 100 years ago made it even easier to stay hooked. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Wow! Such an interesting book about the Titanic. Poetry from a wide variety of viewpoints. The audio book version is extraordinary! I highly recommend this book? ( )
  saillergirl | Jan 18, 2016 |

Page, MichaelReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Klassen, JonCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Audio, Candlewick on BrilliancePublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Dale and Evelyn
Embalmers don't typically make house calls.

Recreates the 1912 sinking of the Titanic as observed by millionaire John Jacob Astor, a beautiful young Lebanese refugee finding first love, "Unsinkable" Molly Brown, Captain Smith, and others including the iceberg itself.

Arrogance and innocence, hubris and hope--twenty-four haunting voices of the Titanic tragedy, as well as the iceberg itself, are evoked in a stunning tour de force.

Millionaire John Jacob Astor hopes to bring home his pregnant teen bride with a minimum of media scandal. A beautiful Lebanese refugee, on her way to family in Florida, discovers the first stirrings of love. And an ancient iceberg glides south, anticipating its fateful encounter. The voices in this remarkable re-creation of the Titanic disaster span classes and stations, from Margaret ("the unsinkable Molly") Brown to the captain who went down with his ship; from the lookout and wireless men to a young boy in search of dragons and a gambler in search of marks. Slipping in telegraphs, undertaker's reports, and other records, poet Allan Wolf offers a breathtaking, intimate glimpse at the lives behind the tragedy, told with clear-eyed compassion and astounding emotional power.

Extensive back matter includes:

Author's note
Morse code with messages to decipher
Titanic miscellany
Bibliography, articles, periodicals, government documents, discography

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:04 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,503,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible