The Watch That Ends the Night: Voices from…

The Watch That Ends the Night: Voices from the Titanic

by Allan Wolf

Other authors: Jon Klassen (Cover artist)

Recently added byKaiHalligan, radioactivepotatoes, hixh, Ankine, private library, saillergirl, Sarah_Gruwell
    The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell (Joles)
    Joles: Both books are written in verse and are written for a YA audience about historical events.

Wow! Such an interesting book about the Titanic. Poetry from a wide variety of viewpoints. The audio book version is extraordinary! I highly recommend this book? ( )
  saillergirl | Jan 18, 2016 |
This narrative of the sinking of the Titanic is a powerful account of its untimely end, and the audio version adds much to the story. Told in first person by several of the passengers and crew – as well as one rat – the desperation and finally the acceptance of the inevitable is well portrayed. Though fiction, much of what was told is true and that is what makes this story all the more compelling. Well written and gripping, the author has captured the feelings of those onboard in captivating prose. ( )
  Maydacat | Dec 20, 2015 |
In The Watch That Ends the Night, Allan Wolf selects twenty-five voices of individuals affected by the sinking of the Titanic, which at the time of its disastrous maiden voyage in 1912 was the largest moving object on the planet ever created by man. Some of the characters, such as Margaret Brown and John Jacob Astor, are well known; others, including immigrants, a violinist and the ship's wireless man, less so; and still others, namely the ship's rat and, yes, the iceberg, aren't even human at all. Nevertheless, they all have a story to tell.

After plucking it off a shelf in the library, I held this book reverently and cautiously in my hands before cracking it open. There was a feeling that this was something special, and I was hesitant to begin lest I find myself unable to appreciate it properly. It was breathtaking and thrilling in the way only tragic, historical fiction viewed through the lenses of the future can be. Although I knew full well what the outcome would be, I still yearned for something to happen differently, for someone to take an alternative action that would somehow affect the eventual, deadly conclusion. Despite its width the book is a fairly quick read, owing partly to being written in poetic form. Although occasionally lyrical, this chosen style was awkward in places and I didn't find that it necessarily enhanced the story, so as a reader I simply read through as though it were prose. By far, the book's greatest triumph is in giving names, personalities and histories to the men and women who are more often than not relegated to being merely hash marks in columns of who lived and who perished. As a bonus, true and fascinating biographies of each of the voices are included in an appendix. ( )
  ryner | Nov 5, 2014 |
This audiobook is a theatrical performance of historical fiction persona poems. Some poems are from the point of people who were on the Titanic, others are from the point of the rats and the iceberg itself.

This book started off confusing the hell out of me, but that was largely my own fault. It was an impulse grab in the audiobook section of the library. I had absolutely no idea what I was getting myself into. Once I figured out that was I was hearing was performance poetry it all made a lot more sense.

I would give a spoiler warning here but come on, we all know how this book ends right? The ship sinks? Ok, glad we have that covered.

Wolf has done two things I'm not quite as keen on with this book. The first is the rat. Aside from being comical, he doesn't offer much for me. He is repetitive and if I had been reading the paper version I probably would have flicked past him. The other plot ties, like the girl's money bag and the "dragon hunters" keep the story moving much better than this obnoxious rodent.

The other thing I take issue with is the way Wolf personifies the iceberg. I understand the need for some sort of omniscient being to describe the ship hitting the iceberg, that I'm okay with even if it was a bit too faux-avant-garde for me. But the iceberg almost sounds sadistic at points, as though she was seeking out the ship. Hunting the hearts of the souls within it. The reader is given the opportunity to vilify her in a situation when the true villains were chance and circumstance and human error more than any chunk of ice.

I really appreciate that Wolf clarifies what is true in his narrative and what is the product of his imagination in his last chapter, revisiting where his research took him and what he stretched along the way.

I am glad I happened to find this book, and even more happy it was in audio form. This performance far outweighed reading it silently. Wolf writes to be heard and this work should be experienced. It will change the way you look at historical fiction and where that genre can be taken in today's literary world. I had a lovely and emotional time on Titanic's promenades. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
I'm a Titanic junkie. I'm not sure I can consider myself a "Titaniac" (the equivalent of a "Trekkie/Trekker"), but all the same, I absorb most anything Titanic related.

This particular book is fascinating. It is a novel (written in verse), but a unique novel in that it is told by people who were on the ship. You read their thoughts and the things they were concerned with both before, during, and after the sinking. Husbands, parents, children, siblings, friends... very humanizing. And Wolf did a lot of research for this... virtually every character that "speaks" in this tale was a real person. No, it isn't 100% factual (compared to what is actually known) and obviously the actual thoughts and actions of each person are largely based on the author's character studies, but it sucks you in all the same.

I found myself both excitedly looking forward to getting to the actual sinking but also dreading it because I knew that some/many of these people that were sharing their lives with me would not survive.

Wolf also includes a lot of interesting info at the end... comments about the actual people his characters represented, statistics, notes, and an extensive bibliography. ( )
  RottenArsenal | Jul 28, 2014 |

Allan Wolfprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klassen, JonCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Dale and Evelyn
Embalmers don't typically make house calls.

Recreates the 1912 sinking of the Titanic as observed by millionaire John Jacob Astor, a beautiful young Lebanese refugee finding first love, "Unsinkable" Molly Brown, Captain Smith, and others including the iceberg itself.

Arrogance and innocence, hubris and hope--twenty-four haunting voices of the Titanic tragedy, as well as the iceberg itself, are evoked in a stunning tour de force.

Millionaire John Jacob Astor hopes to bring home his pregnant teen bride with a minimum of media scandal. A beautiful Lebanese refugee, on her way to family in Florida, discovers the first stirrings of love. And an ancient iceberg glides south, anticipating its fateful encounter. The voices in this remarkable re-creation of the Titanic disaster span classes and stations, from Margaret ("the unsinkable Molly") Brown to the captain who went down with his ship; from the lookout and wireless men to a young boy in search of dragons and a gambler in search of marks. Slipping in telegraphs, undertaker's reports, and other records, poet Allan Wolf offers a breathtaking, intimate glimpse at the lives behind the tragedy, told with clear-eyed compassion and astounding emotional power.

Extensive back matter includes:

Author's note
Morse code with messages to decipher
Titanic miscellany
Bibliography, articles, periodicals, government documents, discography

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:04 -0400)

Recreates the 1912 sinking of the Titanic as observed by millionaire John Jacob Astor, a beautiful young Lebanese refugee finding first love, "Unsinkable" Molly Brown, Captain E.J. Smith, and others including the iceberg itself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,181,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible