How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran

How to Be a Woman (2011)

by Caitlin Moran

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson (generalkala)
    Be Awesome: Modern Life for Modern Ladies by Hadley Freeman (nessreader)
    nessreader: My love for Hadley Freeman is unbounded. Both these authors are columnists in the UK newspapers, young, female, funny and intelligent. If you've read the books of both and are hunting more in the same vein, try Lucy Mangan from the Guardian (My Family And Other Disasters) Alas, the jacket design for be awesome is godawful.… (more)
    Sex Object: A Memoir by Jessica Valenti (g33kgrrl)

English (148)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (150)
Moran is funny, smart, and has a way with words. We actually have a lot in common in terms of interests and social groups and I think she would be a hoot to hang out with, on occasion. Many of us know someone like her, someone who with their presence fills the room with energy and mirth but who thinks she knows everything by dint of being her (not through study.) That person is very quick to judge those who don't live by her rules. That person is fun as all get out, until you get exhausted and just can't muster the energy to stay with the tone she sets and/or you realize she is talking out of her ass, and is utterly wrong about many many things which she states as fact, not opinion. The thing is, she is right about those things AS THEY APPLY TO HER but she is blustery and fully confident that she is right about how everyone in the worlds should live-- full stop. It gets really old.

In Moran world you are a ridiculous anti-feminist ruled by men if you wear heels -- unless you are a drag queen in which case it is the best thing that has ever happened in the world. Strip clubs are dens of iniquity and women within them all are victims who clearly should not be allowed to make their own decisions about sex work. (In what was for me the oddest passage in the book she bolsters this argument by saying you know strip clubs are bad because gay men don't do things that are harmful to women and gay men would never go to clubs to objectify the young and pretty. What?! Does she know any gay men? I have been in a whole lot of clubs that featured boys in cages, boys swinging their anally inserted pony tails, boys on poles, etc. Also, I have had gay bosses who were super happy with the patriarchy and delighted to perpetuate it to the lasting harm of women. What world does she live in?) If you don't actually think about anything Moran says she is enjoyable. I wish she would spend more time thinking things though and coming to a logical conclusion instead of finding a permutation that endorses her world view and blinding herself to any flaws in the argument. She would be pretty awesome if she did that. ( )
  Narshkite | Mar 4, 2019 |
Have you ever read a book that made you blush? Well this one did!! So, I quickly decided that I was only listening to this audio in the car, ALONE, and as I loosened up a bit I found myself completely laughing out loud. (You HAVE to get the audio!) Let's be real. The Brits, for all their prim and properness, take everyday life and sex to new levels of honesty. I mean I doubled my anatomical slang vocabulary!! But Moran has a serious side, too, and time and again, she makes very insightful comments. (Which is an argument for print, so you can make note of these passages, something I was unable to do while driving.) Topics include but are not limited to: feminism, childbirth, waxing, abortion, periods, dating, marriage, etc. And men--don't shy away from this one--it could be exactly what you need to understand the other sex! I highly recommend this book. ( )
  Berly | Feb 4, 2019 |
How to Be a Woman is hilarious! Caitlin describes various aspects of womanhood using her experiences and humorous insight. I don't know much about her career as a journalist, but I have read her novel and enjoyed it. She has a way of writing about women's issues in a witty, sarcastic and funny way. She makes a lot of great points, but going in you have keep in mind these are her opinions and it's okay to disagree, she even acknowledges this is how she feels wtf does she know kind of thing. I agreed with a lot, but I thought she was a bit insensitive to other cultures. How is someone not familiar with a groups customs going to suggest something is sexist without understanding it? You just can't. I enjoyed the parts of her sharing her own experiences and liked her insights and how she was able to add humor to it. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Oct 4, 2018 |
Its hard not to read Caitlin Moran in multiple personalities. Both her sister from tv comedy Raised by Wolves and her writer character from how to build a girl seep into this autobiography (or vice versa). She has plenty of strong opinions and expresses them with humour.
  kk1 | Sep 24, 2018 |
Hilarious and to the point about some things that traditional books on feminism tend to dance around. ( )
  mmaestiho | Sep 20, 2018 |
The joy of this book is just that: the joy. What Moran is really arguing for is more female happiness. Women spend too much of their time worrying, beating themselves up, going along with time-wasting, restrictive, often expensive, sexist mores. The triumph of How To Be A Woman is that it adds to women's confidence. It reminds us that sexism, and all that is associated with it, is not only repressive, it is tedious and stupid. It is boring. Best give it a body swerve and get on with having fun

Wolverhapmton, April 5, 1988
"Pencil skirts, skin-tight jeans and leggings - they all allow us to witness an exact outline of the wearer's pants, rather like the 'Geo-Phys print-out of an ancient drainage system on Time Team."

Though they have the vote and the Pill and haven't been burned as witches since 1727, life isn't exactly a stroll down the catwalk for modern women. They are beset by uncertainties and questions: Why are they supposed to get Brazilians? Why do bras hurt? Why the incessant talk about babies? And do men secretly hate them? Caitlin Moran interweaves provocative observations on women's lives with laugh-out-loud funny scenes from her own, from the riot of adolescence to her development as a writer, wife, and mother. With rapier wit, Moran slices right to the truth--whether it's about the workplace, strip clubs, love, fat, abortion, popular entertainment, or childred--to jump-start a new conversation about feminism. With humor, insight, and verve, How To Be a Woman lays bare the reasons why female rights and empowerment are essential issues not only for women today but also for society itself.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,762,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible