How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran

How to Be a Woman (2011)

by Caitlin Moran

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson (generalkala)
    Be Awesome: Modern Life for Modern Ladies by Hadley Freeman (nessreader)
    nessreader: My love for Hadley Freeman is unbounded. Both these authors are columnists in the UK newspapers, young, female, funny and intelligent. If you've read the books of both and are hunting more in the same vein, try Lucy Mangan from the Guardian (My Family And Other Disasters) Alas, the jacket design for be awesome is godawful.… (more)

English (121)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  English (123)
I LOVED this, even the sections in all caps when I felt like she was yelling at me.

It made me laugh, cry, and finally come to terms with the fact that I can be a woman even if I do not care about shoes and handbags.

By the end, I was standing on a chair shouting I am a strident feminist, just like she told me to.

fyi, if you have ladybits and I exchange Hanukkah or Christmas gifts with you, you are probobly receiving it, so don't buy it. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
The author is at her best when she recounts her hilarious and awkward youthful experiences; the commentary after the fact can sound, on the other hand, a bit stilted. What makes the most sense to me is her viewpoint that women have so long been considered the "losers"--a term even more direct, and sadly probably more accurate, than Simone de Beauvoir's "other"--that feminism has a long, uphill road ahead. Recommended for all libraries and for readers of all gender. ( )
  librarianarpita | Oct 26, 2016 |
Very funny and still thought provoking. Sometimes she is all over the place, but it's okay, but with the way she writes it's almost as if you are having a conversation with her. Her passages on feminism are not something we haven't heard of, but she does take a very strong stance on them, reminding us that we need to also. I haven't read a non-fiction in a while, and I usually avoid them unless it's a history book, but I am glad I read this. If you like Tina Fey, you will definitely like this. The one problem I have is catching on to the references she makes sometimes, but that has to do with generation and geography. I don't think I lost anything by not catching on. ( )
  Sareene | Oct 22, 2016 |
Please can Caitlin be my new best friend. Part-autobiography and part rant about what it is to be a modern woman. Funny, honest, revealing; an enjoyable read. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't understand high heels and designer handbags. ( )
  LARA335 | Aug 17, 2016 |
How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran was the April book from the feminist book club on Goodreads called Our Shared Shelf started by Emma Watson. I am continually thankful for this book group as it has really opened my horizons to some truly fantastic and interesting books that I don't know I would have necessarily picked up on my own. I had heard SO much about this book in particular that I was starting to wonder if it was fated for me to read it. Yes, I have definitely fallen under Caitlin Moran's spell. I challenge anyone to read this book and not think she's the epitome of awesomeness. The basic premise of this book is that Caitlin feels that she has never truly known how to be a "woman" in all the ways that society/family/ourselves tell us are the defining characteristics of a "woman". She talks about growing up in a family of 8 as the oldest in a very poor household and her journey in discovering her place in feminism. However, it was her no-holds-barred satirical take on the pitfalls of trying to mold ourselves to fit one perfect mold that made me truly love this book. 10/10 highly recommend

PS This is definitely an adult book. So be prepared. ( )
  AliceaP | Jun 21, 2016 |
The joy of this book is just that: the joy. What Moran is really arguing for is more female happiness. Women spend too much of their time worrying, beating themselves up, going along with time-wasting, restrictive, often expensive, sexist mores. The triumph of How To Be A Woman is that it adds to women's confidence. It reminds us that sexism, and all that is associated with it, is not only repressive, it is tedious and stupid. It is boring. Best give it a body swerve and get on with having fun

Wolverhapmton, April 5, 1988
"Pencil skirts, skin-tight jeans and leggings - they all allow us to witness an exact outline of the wearer's pants, rather like the 'Geo-Phys print-out of an ancient drainage system on Time Team."

Though they have the vote and the Pill and haven't been burned as witches since 1727, life isn't exactly a stroll down the catwalk for modern women. They are beset by uncertainties and questions: Why are they supposed to get Brazilians? Why do bras hurt? Why the incessant talk about babies? And do men secretly hate them? Caitlin Moran interweaves provocative observations on women's lives with laugh-out-loud funny scenes from her own, from the riot of adolescence to her development as a writer, wife, and mother. With rapier wit, Moran slices right to the truth--whether it's about the workplace, strip clubs, love, fat, abortion, popular entertainment, or childred--to jump-start a new conversation about feminism. With humor, insight, and verve, How To Be a Woman lays bare the reasons why female rights and empowerment are essential issues not only for women today but also for society itself.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,638,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible