How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran

How to Be a Woman (2011)

by Caitlin Moran

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson (generalkala)
    Be Awesome: Modern Life for Modern Ladies by Hadley Freeman (nessreader)
    nessreader: My love for Hadley Freeman is unbounded. Both these authors are columnists in the UK newspapers, young, female, funny and intelligent. If you've read the books of both and are hunting more in the same vein, try Lucy Mangan from the Guardian (My Family And Other Disasters)… (more)

English (115)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (117)
I loved everything about this book! Caitlin Moran is one of those people that you just want to be friends with because she writes so well that you can relate with her! Reading each page was a joy and literally laugh out loud funny. I know some people don't agree with her brand of feminism saying it's not all politically kosher and she's making fun of it, but I disagree. I found it refreshing! She wasn't talking down to readers or even preaching, she just used her hilarious life stories to discuss modern day feminism. From the fashion industry to weddings to abortions, this book covers a plethora of topics. After finishing this I immediately put her second book on hold at the library. Her writing style is just too damn funny and her stories stick with you. An all around great read. ( )
1 vote ecataldi | Apr 20, 2016 |
How to Be a Woman is hilarious! Caitlin describes various aspects of womanhood using her experiences and humorous insight. I don't know much about her career as a journalist, but I have read her novel and enjoyed it. She has a way of writing about women's issues in a witty, sarcastic and funny way. She makes a lot of great points, but going in you have keep in mind these are her opinions and it's okay to disagree, she even acknowledges this is how she feels wtf does she know kind of thing. I agreed with a lot, but I thought she was a bit insensitive to other cultures. How is someone not familiar with a groups customs going to suggest something is sexist without understanding it? You just can't. I enjoyed the parts of her sharing her own experiences and liked her insights and how she was able to add humor to it.
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | Apr 7, 2016 |
Powerful! I highly recommend this to anyone with feelings about feminism. The cheeky style kept me laughing. ( )
  LaPhenix | Mar 31, 2016 |
Nerdy, British, Hilarious, and Feminist. Everything I never knew I needed in a book. I LOVED IT. ( )
  Nelinator | Mar 23, 2016 |
I found this both entertaining and thought-provoking, which is a pretty great combination. I knock off a star only because a few of the Britishisms were over my head, so I think a little more effort could have been undertaken to translate or explain certain things for the American market.

But on the whole, Caitlin Moran is fierce, funny, unafraid to make fun of herself, but also eager to pass along actual life lessons by doing so. The best part is, those life lessons don't sound preachy or cliche or dull; they ring with common sense and reasonableness. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
The joy of this book is just that: the joy. What Moran is really arguing for is more female happiness. Women spend too much of their time worrying, beating themselves up, going along with time-wasting, restrictive, often expensive, sexist mores. The triumph of How To Be A Woman is that it adds to women's confidence. It reminds us that sexism, and all that is associated with it, is not only repressive, it is tedious and stupid. It is boring. Best give it a body swerve and get on with having fun

Wolverhapmton, April 5, 1988
"Pencil skirts, skin-tight jeans and leggings - they all allow us to witness an exact outline of the wearer's pants, rather like the 'Geo-Phys print-out of an ancient drainage system on Time Team."

Though they have the vote and the Pill and haven't been burned as witches since 1727, life isn't exactly a stroll down the catwalk for modern women. They are beset by uncertainties and questions: Why are they supposed to get Brazilians? Why do bras hurt? Why the incessant talk about babies? And do men secretly hate them? Caitlin Moran interweaves provocative observations on women's lives with laugh-out-loud funny scenes from her own, from the riot of adolescence to her development as a writer, wife, and mother. With rapier wit, Moran slices right to the truth--whether it's about the workplace, strip clubs, love, fat, abortion, popular entertainment, or childred--to jump-start a new conversation about feminism. With humor, insight, and verve, How To Be a Woman lays bare the reasons why female rights and empowerment are essential issues not only for women today but also for society itself.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible