How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran

How to Be a Woman (2011)

by Caitlin Moran

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson (generalkala)
    Be Awesome: Modern Life for Modern Ladies by Hadley Freeman (nessreader)
    nessreader: My love for Hadley Freeman is unbounded. Both these authors are columnists in the UK newspapers, young, female, funny and intelligent. If you've read the books of both and are hunting more in the same vein, try Lucy Mangan from the Guardian (My Family And Other Disasters) Alas, the jacket design for be awesome is godawful.… (more)

English (126)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All (128)
I was a little put off by the title of Caitlin Moran’s bestseller, but the book came with a glowing recommendation from a friend that shares very similar tastes with me, so I decided to go for it. For the next couple days, I was moved, comforted, inspired… To use one of my current English teacher’s favorite expressions, the book felt like both a window and a mirror. I not only related to Moran’s escapades, but also got to see parts of her life – from growing up impoverished in a small English town to interviewing the likes of Paul McCartney and Lady Gaga – that I will never be able to fully comprehend.

I also laughed to the point of tears. A lot. Sometimes on the tube. Not even sorry. ( )
  hungrylittlebookworm | Mar 27, 2017 |
I found myself agreeing with most of what she says - "are the men having to do this too?" If not, then it's cobblers. I did get a bit bored at some sections though. ( )
  infjsarah | Mar 4, 2017 |
Part memoir, Moran discusses life and difficulties as a modern woman. The memories of growing up as one of eight children in a poor Northern family are hilarious, and the basis for the tv show Raised by Wolves, written by Moran and her sister.
Moran became a tv presenter and newspaper columnist who hangs out with pop stars and celebrities, but she compares the difference between being female in the last generations to now. She discusses what is expected from women, the difference money makes, aging, motherhood and choosing not to be a mother. Wound through these topics are stories of her own life involving siblings, un-reciprocated love, break-ups and her workplace reputation. ( )
  mstrust | Feb 24, 2017 |
Caitlin Moran is as funny as she is smart in How To Be a Woman. The book isn't going to shatter the glass ceiling or anything, but it's a great example of a memoir with something very important to say and a very entertaining way of saying it. Recommended for the young and old, women and men alike. ( )
  StefanieBrookTrout | Feb 4, 2017 |
Caitlin Moran tells the true story of her life, and how she learned how to be a woman.

Moran is one of those brilliant authors who can make you think, tug on your heartstrings, and then have you laughing uproariously (out loud on a bus, in my case).

This is another book that, like in the previous review, suffers a bit from comparison. We are lucky enough to have so many brilliant, funny women writing their truth, that there are a lot of excellent books out there in this same genre Moran is writing in. To me, I still prefer Jenny Lawson and Tina Fey, but that doesn't mean I can't still really like what Moran is doing here.

This is one of those books it just feels really important to read, given everything going on in the world right now--and it's an enjoyable read too. ( )
  seasonsoflove | Jan 12, 2017 |
The joy of this book is just that: the joy. What Moran is really arguing for is more female happiness. Women spend too much of their time worrying, beating themselves up, going along with time-wasting, restrictive, often expensive, sexist mores. The triumph of How To Be A Woman is that it adds to women's confidence. It reminds us that sexism, and all that is associated with it, is not only repressive, it is tedious and stupid. It is boring. Best give it a body swerve and get on with having fun

Wolverhapmton, April 5, 1988
"Pencil skirts, skin-tight jeans and leggings - they all allow us to witness an exact outline of the wearer's pants, rather like the 'Geo-Phys print-out of an ancient drainage system on Time Team."

Though they have the vote and the Pill and haven't been burned as witches since 1727, life isn't exactly a stroll down the catwalk for modern women. They are beset by uncertainties and questions: Why are they supposed to get Brazilians? Why do bras hurt? Why the incessant talk about babies? And do men secretly hate them? Caitlin Moran interweaves provocative observations on women's lives with laugh-out-loud funny scenes from her own, from the riot of adolescence to her development as a writer, wife, and mother. With rapier wit, Moran slices right to the truth--whether it's about the workplace, strip clubs, love, fat, abortion, popular entertainment, or childred--to jump-start a new conversation about feminism. With humor, insight, and verve, How To Be a Woman lays bare the reasons why female rights and empowerment are essential issues not only for women today but also for society itself.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,258,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible