Northwest Angle by William Kent Krueger

Northwest Angle

by William Kent Krueger

2462069,086 (3.82)23

Good adventure detective story. Minnesota writer. Heard in speak in October 2011 MLA. ( )
  Kevin.Bokay | Aug 5, 2018 |
For the last book in the O'Connor series, I made a comment in my review that while I enjoyed the book, I was disappointed that the story did not feature any other members of Cork's family. Well for this book, Cork's entire family plays a role from the first page to the last and I was excited for it. Krueger has really figured out a style of writing that perfectly blends plot, characters, and setting in a way that I truly enjoy. Highly recommended series. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
Another great book by Krueger. His writing is always so beautiful and I love the native Ojibwa wisdom and spiritual messages that run through his books. In this book detective Cork O'Connor must solve the murder of a young girl who has recently had a baby. Jenny, Cork's daughter, becomes attached to the baby but death seems to follow the child and Cork is determined to find out why. The author's characters always feel so real and his descriptions of the settings make you feel like you are there. The plot begins with a bang and kept my interest all the way through with plenty of action and suspense. I look forward to reading the next book in the series and I highly recommend this series to those who love mystery and adventure. ( )
  EadieB | Feb 4, 2018 |
In the 11th installment of the Cork O’Connor series, Cork takes his extended family for vacation on a houseboat on the Lake of the Woods. The plot is set in motion when a powerful storm, a derecho, shatters their plans. Cork and his daughter, Jenny, find themselves on an isolated island where they discover a cabin with the body of a woman who had been tortured and, hidden nearby, a baby. Then a man with a rifle comes to stalk them. Is he the killer of the woman seeking to cover his tracks? Is he after the baby that Cork and Jennie have rescued? Is there more? Of course there is: drug smuggling, a religious cult, Jenny’s bond with the baby and its effects on her fraught relationship with her boyfriend Noah and with Cork. The book delivers what I have come to expect from this excellent series: good plotting, vivid descriptions of minor characters, Ojibwe lore, evolving family relationships and the wonderful and wise Ojibwe Mide, Henry. In addition, threaded through this book is a discourse on the nature of religion.

I am on to the next in the series, Trickster’s Point. ( )
  jwrudn | Oct 28, 2017 |
Much of the action in this book takes place away from the usual Aurora, Minnesota setting. Cork and his family are in Lake of the Woods, a large lake between Ontario and Minnesota that contains 14,552 islands. Cork and Jenny are out traveling in a small boat when a violent wind (known as derecho) sweeps through, leaving chaos and devastation in its wake and Cork and Jenny stranded on a small island. Jenny finds a cabin on the island that contains the body of a young woman who has been murdered, and a tiny baby hidden away. Before rescue can come an unknown man with a rifle arrives on the island.

I had begun to worry that I would get bored with Cork and Jenny stuck on an island for most of the book. I should have trusted the author better by now. He doesn’t let the story slow or become stagnant, but gradually builds suspense to its natural explosive conclusion. I liked how the author bookended the story with Cork’s original concern about his family, and the reaffirmation of that family at the end.
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
For Morgan and Riley Bucholz,
two blessings who dropped from heaven into my heart.
He woke long before it was necessary, had awakened in this way for weeks, troubled and afraid.

Discovering a murdered teen while stranded by a gale on the remote Lake of the Woods, detective Cork O'Connor and his daughter, Jenny, also discover a mysterious baby boy whose life is threatened by powerful adversaries.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,369,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible