Skye Object 3270a by Linda Nagata

Skye Object 3270a (edition 2011)

by Linda Nagata

5736207,436 (4)8
Member:khrister
Title:Skye Object 3270a
Authors:Linda Nagata
Info:Mythic Island Press LLC (2011), Paperback, 234 pages
Collections:Your library, ebooks
Rating:***1/2
Tags:ebook, early reviewers, science fiction

Skye Object 3270a by Linda Nagata

Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder (terriko)
    terriko: Great teen science fiction reminiscent of classics like Monica Hughes' Devil on My Back or The Keeper of the Isis Light.
    Iron Sunrise by Charles Stross (cwallen)

Interesting and somewhat offbeat YA story with nice science fiction elements. I particularly liked the characters and how they interacted. ( )
  sennebec | Sep 25, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a book that I got from LibraryThing some months ago to review, but it sat on my desktop for months before I remembered to move it onto the Kindle, and then it sat there a while longer before I actually read it. I'm sorry I didn't get to it sooner.

This is a nice little YA novel, set in a world where humans have gotten fairly good at using nanotech but not so good that Clarke's Law seems to have taken over, as in Charles Stross' regrettable Glasshouse. Our heroine is a castaway, the apparent sole survivor of a colony ship's contact with the berserker-like Chinzeme, and as the book opens she's fourteen and ready to make a big jump. Literally. From there, things get interesting and don't stop until the end. In contrast to the Hive kids in John Barnes' Jak Jinnaka novels, Skye and her friends have an adolescent innocence about them, which is a nice change of pace, and when the novel comes to an end, you're left wishing there was more to it, or maybe a sequel in the works. Hats off to Linda Nagata for doing a nice job telling the story of a nice young lady who starts her life in the middle of an adventure and looks to be having more in the near future. I particularly liked that the book is tightly written, without a lot of time being spent describing the orbital colony Skye calls home, the planetary base at the other end of the beanstalk, or any of the other potentially distracting things in the background of our heroine's adventures. We get a little background for her friends, and none of it is wasted because everything that's mentioned comes back later and is put to use. I liked it a lot, and I think your teenaged kids might, too. ( )
  wombat-socho | Dec 5, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found it really hard to get through this book, I notice others have said the same thing and I agree, I would probably have liked it more if I was a 14yr old girl. The story seems a little forced in places and a bit simplistic but the target audience would probably find it a good read.
  mrangel | Sep 12, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Skye Object 3270A is a (barely) fourteen year old girl in Silk, a city some way up on the space elevator over Deception Well. Together with her best friend Zia and two boys, she goes on an adventure that will change their lives forever.

Skye was discovered in an escape pod, in cryogenic suspension, at the age of two, and much of this book tells the story of her seeking for the truth to what happened to the ship the pod came from. I found the book both funny and exciting, although there were some parts that didn't hold my interest as much. All in all, a good book, and I wouldn't mind reading more from this author. ( )
  khrister | Jan 11, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. I have read, and liked, Linda Nagata before, but I just couldn't get into this one. It may be just that it's aimed at young adults, although I also read quite a bit of YA. Or maybe it was just because it was more of a space opera, and I'm not really into that right now. For whatever reason, it took me forever to read this because I found it somewhat boring. But that's not to say that a younger person, more interested in hard SF, might not find it interesting. ( )
  willac | Aug 28, 2012 |

In an isolated star system far from any other human outposts, a space-faring "lifeboat" was discovered by a scientist from the city of Silk. Inside the lifeboat was a two-year-old girl in frozen sleep. She had no name and no history. The people of Silk believed her to be the only survivor of a star-faring great ship attacked in the void and destroyed by the automated warships of the alien Chenzeme. They rescued and revived the child, and named her "Skye." But the people of Silk face dangers of their own. Their city is in space, built around the column of a space elevator that rises from the planet's surface into high orbit. Three-hundred kilometers below is the wild, plague-ridden planet called Deception Well. Far-above, a dusty nebula shrouds the star system. The nebula is made of drifting dust, gas, and tiny nanomachines left behind by an ancient and mysterious race. The microscopic nanomachines were made to attack and destroy any Chenzeme ship that enters the system . . . but they will defend against other threats too, and they have no loyalty to human life. Still, life in Silk is comfortable, and the dangers of their world mean little to the city's youth. Skye has grown into an adventurous, independent teen-but more and more she wonders about her mysterious past. Where did she come from? Who were her parents? And, most importantly, was she really the only survivor? When evidence of her past begins to awaken within her own body, Skye finds herself driven to explore both the dangerous surface of Deception Well and the airless reaches of outer space. She is not alone in her quest. Her best friend Zia Adovna, the handsome young astronomer Devi Hand, and the adventurous Buyu Mkolu join her as she seeks to prove that other survivors of the great ship might still be found. Unique young-adult science fiction by the Locus and Nebula Award winning author.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:38 -0400)

In an isolated star system far from any other human outposts, a space-faring "lifeboat" was discovered by a scientist from the city of Silk. Inside the lifeboat was a two-year-old girl in frozen sleep. She had no name and no history. The people of Silk believed her to be the only survivor of a star-faring great ship attacked in the void and destroyed by the automated warships of the alien Chenzeme. They rescued and revived the child, and named her "Skye." But the people of Silk face dangers of their own. Their city is in space, built around the column of a space elevator that rises from the planet's surface into high orbit. Three-hundred kilometers below is the wild, plague-ridden planet called Deception Well. Far-above, a dusty nebula shrouds the star system. The nebula is made of drifting dust, gas, and tiny nanomachines left behind by an ancient and mysterious race. The microscopic nanomachines were made to attack and destroy any Chenzeme ship that enters the system, but they will defend against other threats too, and they have no loyalty to human life. Still, life in Silk is comfortable, and the dangers of their world mean little to the city's youth. Skye has grown into an adventurous, independent teen--but more and more she wonders about her mysterious past. Where did she come from? Who were her parents? And, most importantly, was she really the only survivor? When evidence of her past begins to awaken within her own body, Skye finds herself driven to explore both the dangerous surface of Deception Well and the airless reaches of outer space. She is not alone in her quest. Her best friend Zia Adovna, the handsome young astronomer Devi Hand, and the adventurous Buyu Mkolu join her as she seeks to prove that other survivors of the great ship might still be found.… (more)

Linda Nagata is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Skye Object 3270a by Linda Nagata was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,006,913 books! | Top bar: Always visible