11 Experiments That Failed by Jenny Offill

11 Experiments That Failed

by Jenny Offill, Nancy Carpenter (Illustrator)

11812102,161 (4)None

The book, “11 Experiments That Failed”, I found to be very funny an entertaining. In the book, the girl formulates ideas in her head and then tests them to see if they will actually work. The author did an excellent job capturing a young girl’s mindset and how she thinks. I enjoyed reading this book for a couple reasons. The first reason I enjoyed this book is the illustrations. The illustrator used real images, patterned paper, and also fine lined pen illustrations. The way the illustrations were set up on each page, it looked like magazine cut outs were pasted on a piece of graph paper and then drawn on with a pen. The illustrator used real pictures of dirt, leaves, and even a bottle of ketchup! I loved the multimedia illustrations because of the technique and the creativity of the illustrator. Another reason I liked this book is because it introduces young readers to how to set up experiments and hypothesize. For example, the book reads, “Question: Can a kid make it through the winter eating only snow and ketchup? Hypothesis: Ketchup and snow are the only food groups a kid needs. What happened: Stomachache, brain freeze, love of ketchup wavering”. These experiments are quite funny in the way that a child might think that they can live through winter by only eating ketchup and snow. The main idea of this book is to introduce young readers to scientific theory, but also the fact that science can be more than just a learning experience. ( )
  vharsh1 | Nov 19, 2014 |
Like a cross between Ramona Quimby and Calvin & Hobbes. ( )
  JennyArch | Jun 9, 2014 |
Do dogs like to be covered in glitter? Will a piece of bologna fly like a Frisbee? Is there a way to make stinky cheese smell better? Our young female protagonist is thinking like a scientist and testing her hypotheses. Although the experiments are not the most scientific, they are undoubtedly entertaining. The multimedia illustrations with photographs and hand drawings are eye-catching with funny details to find on each page. Each of the eleven short experiments conducted are complete with the tested question, the hypothesis, materials needed, step-by-step list of what to do, and what happened all in friendly kid language. This can be a wonderful, engaging mentor text for elementary students being introduced to the scientific method and initiate thinking of what kinds of experiments would be more feasible to try. ( )
  alizastein | Nov 14, 2013 |
I read "11 Experiments That Failed" with my six-year-old nephew, a veritable connoisseur of both the silly and the scientific. While we got some mild amusement out of it, the premise -- "here are some goofy ideas that would never work as real experiments" -- grew tiresome for us both quickly. If it had gone past eleven experiments, I don't think he would have wanted to finish.

The experiments don't really change their model/format, and the author missed a chance to add a little suspense to get the reader invested by ratcheting up each experiment's stakes as the book progressed. Even a children's book needs to offer that type of engagement -- look at the master, Dr. Seuss -- but this one just doesn't get there.

I'm genuinely glad others enjoyed "11 Experiments That Failed" so much, but if your young reader is looking for something that gets more and more inventive with each page, this is probably one to skip. ( )
  JAshleyOdell | Nov 11, 2013 |
11 experiments that turned out to fail are told in this picture book. It is nicely structure since for every experiment there is raised a question, constructed a hypothesis, the following of the experiments, and finally the results. What I liked best about this book are the illustrations. They are totally thorough; a mixture between real pictures and painting - great idea!
But reading this book could tempt the children to try them out what would definitely not be a good idea. So make sure that your children are old enough to not get into mischief or read it together with the children to explain that these experiments are not serious. But on the other hand, it could make children curious about experimenting. ( )
  sabrina89 | Apr 19, 2013 |

Jenny Offillprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carpenter, NancyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

"This is a most joyful and clever whimsy, the kind that lightens the heart and puts a shine on the day," raved Kirkus Reviews in a starred review.

Is it possible to eat snowballs doused in ketchup—and nothing else—all winter? Can a washing machine wash dishes? By reading the step-by-step instructions, kids can discover the answers to such all-important questions along with the book's curious narrator. Here are 12 "hypotheses," as well as lists of "what you need," "what to do," and "what happened" that are sure to make young readers laugh out loud as they learn how to conduct science experiments (really!).

Jenny Offill and Nancy Carpenter—the ingenious pair that brought you 17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore—have outdone themselves in this brilliant and outrageously funny book.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:27 -0400)

A young child tries a series of wacky experiments, such as seeing if a piece of bologna will fly like a frisbee and determining whether seedlings will grow if watered with expensive perfume, and then must suffer the consequences of experiments gone awry.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,472,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible