The Student's Catullus by Daniel H. Garrison

The Student's Catullus (edition 2004)

by Daniel H. Garrison

Member:scaifea
Title:The Student's Catullus
Authors:Daniel H. Garrison
Info:University of Oklahoma Press (2004), Paperback, 234 pages
Rating:***
Tags:literature, Latin, office

The Student's Catullus by Daniel H. Garrison

Recently added byFSUClassics, private library, polymnia, tpasinet, HUILL, chriscross, dizzyweasel, darmenti, ajp7

A nice learner's edition. I got this for my 4th semester of Latin, but have used it both through my Classics undergrad and after. Garrison does a nice job balancing translation help with commentary and notes. Unlike other editions of Catullus I have used, you do not need to have a strong base knowledge. He'll give it to you. On the other hand, if you're an advanced student, he can give you some fun thoughts on the text, and spare you toting a dictionary if you're reading for fun.
  ShushilaH | Dec 14, 2009 |
Read the poems in Latin - so much funnier and more enjoyable than any English translation. ( )
  wrappedupinbooks | Jul 18, 2007 |
One of those mind opening experiences for college Latin students. I just don't think you can get the same experience reading this on your own as you can as a Freshman or Sophomore in college reading this in Intermediate Latin. I think this was the first really risque thing I ever read for a class, and I was always totally terrified I was going to have to translate something embarrassing in front of the class.
  Katissima | Aug 9, 2006 |

Although his audacious, erotic, and satirical verses survived the Middle Ages in only a single copy, Catullus has in our time become a standard author in the college Latin curriculum, ranking with Virgil, Horace, and Ovid.

In this third edition, thoroughly revised, Daniel H. Garrison makes these famous poems more accessible than ever to students of Latin. A standard college textbook as well as a comprehensive reference, the book includes a brief introduction about the poet’s life and the character of his poems, a fresh recension of all 113 poems, and a commentary in English on each poem, explaining difficult points of Latin, features of Catullus’ artistry, and background information. The notes to each poem also illuminate the meaning of Catullus’ language, with explanations of word choice, word order, sound effects, and meter. Additional aids to the reader are a Who’s Who of the most important people in Catullus’ poems, an introduction to Catullan meters, a glossary of literary terms used in the commentary, a complete Latin-English Catullan vocabulary, and six maps.

Rather than promoting specific literary judgments or theories, The Student’s Catullus provides readers of this important Latin poet with the information necessary to read the poet’s own language intelligently and to make fresh appraisals of their own.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:20 -0400)

In this third edition, thoroughly revised, Daniel H. Garrison makes these famous poems more accessible than ever to students of Latin. A standard college textbook as well as a comprehensive reference, the book includes a brief introduction about the poet?s life and the character of his poems, a fresh recension of all 113 poems, and a commentary in English on each poem, explaining difficult points of Latin, features of Catullus? artistry, and background information.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,977,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible