Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K.…

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2000)

by J. K. Rowling

Series: Harry Potter (4)

66,6725534 (4.35)13 / 665
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (TeamJacob101)
    TeamJacob101: I Couldn't put it down!
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: Santa Olivia is admittedly built for a more mature audience, but the themes, character types, and situations in the Harry Potter series and in Carey's work make me believe a reader who enjoys one will likely enjoy the other. Santa Olivia, though, is not a traditional fantasy, but more in the lines of speculative fiction, so that fantasy-only readers who enjoy Harry Potter for primarily the inclusion of magic may not enjoy Carey's work. I'm recommending it with this Harry Potter book in particular since, for me, this was the book when the series took a leap toward becoming more adult. Santa Olivia is also probably the beginning of a forthcoming series.… (more)
    Dangerous Donkey by Alaric Adair (markbiblos)
    markbiblos: A hero teenager doing crazy things under difficult conditions.

English (512)  German (6)  Italian (6)  French (6)  Dutch (5)  Finnish (4)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (2)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (2)  Arabic (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All languages (553)
Excellent book, really enjoyed it!!!! ( )
  Claire5555 | Jan 21, 2015 |
Description: Harry Potter is midway through his training as a wizard and his coming of age. Harry wants to get away from the pernicious Dursleys and go to the International Quidditch Cup. He wants to find out about the mysterious event that's supposed to take place at Hogwarts this year, an event involving two other rival schools of magic, and a competition that hasn't happened for a hundred years. He wants to be a normal, fourteen-year-old wizard. But unfortunately for Harry Potter, he's not normal - even by wizarding standards. And in his case, different can be deadly.

Thoughts: This has never been my favorite Harry Potter, a lot because I do actually adore the depictions of the day to day Hogwarts life that the other books detail (and QUIDDITCH!) but mostly because this one raises so many nagging questions that continue to irk me.

I am very glad that I revisited it for this reread project, though. It's been many years since I read it last and I had forgotten so many of the little details that the movie leaves out. This was definitely a good thing and made listening it it a lot more enjoyable that I thought it would be.

More thoughts posted on the reread thread.

Rating: 3.75

Liked: 3.5
Plot: 3.5
Characterization: 4
Writing: 4
Audio: 4

https://www.librarything.com/topic/172068#4692107 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 20, 2015 |
Summary: This book is about a boy names Harry Potter. He's a wizard and everyone knows his name because he was the only one to survive when the evil wizard Voldemort tried to kill him. He was left with a lightning shaped scar on his forehead. In this book, he finds out a wizard names Sirius killed his parents, and has now escaped jail, and is in hiding. Every one thinks he will try to kill Harry next, so they set up guards all around the school he goes to called Hogwarts. Even with the guards around people have spotted evidence of Sirius sneaking into the school. When Harry finally finds him with his friends Ron and Hormione, he tries to kill him because he thought Sirius killed his parents. But in the end Sirius explained that it wasn't him, but Rons rat, who turned into a rat after killing Harry's parents and making it look like it was Sirius who did it. But no one else except the Princible believed him, so he had to escape to somewhere far away until Harry and his friends finally cleared his name.
Opinion: I really liked how confusing it was at the beginning and how towards the end all the mystery started unfolding. I didn't like how boring some of the chapters where. some chapters seemed like they could have been left out to make it less boring.I loved how magical it was, because the school he goes to is for wizards they use wands and have pet owls and do spells etc. I liked when they played quidditch (a game sort of like basketball but on brooms and with 4 balls and 3 hoops) because it was super exciting. I liked that some parts where a little scary, but in the end weren't as scary after the mystery was explained. I didn't like how I wasn't interested enough to read it 24/7 like I am with some books. ( )
  aliya.b1 | Jan 12, 2015 |
READ IN DUTCH

The Prisoner of Azkaban was my favorite book of the series, so it's obvious I didn't like this one as much as I did the third. In my opinion it took too long before Harry and his friends are actually going to school again. And I always liked the schoolparts of the stories. I liked the end of this book...
I thought you can really feel that Rowling is willing to make her books 'darker' and more sinister in comparison with the first books. ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
Finally, a Harry Potter book that actually lives up to the hype, even for an adult reader. I have definitely appreciated the first three books in the series, but thought to myself, "Seriously, these are definitely for younger readers. Why are so many grown-ups so enthralled by these?" Rowling appears to have adopted an approach of maturing her story along with the first audience to have had a chance to read it. This fourth entry is twice as long as each of its predecessors, handles some more disturbing themes, and even incorporates a few "damns," which I don't remember from the first three books. Most welcome to me, it also dispenses with rehashing the opening of the first book over again, instead jumping straight into a very suspenseful scene. Needless to say, by the end of the story, I finally felt that I got what everyone has been raving about.

That doesn't mean that I agree with every choice Rowling makes as a writer. There are times that the pacing lags, as the author indulges a thorough explanation of all the little angst-inducing irritations that so overwhelm teenagers, and are probably appreciated more by the readers still living that stage of their life than by someone who has made it through to the other side. The youthfulness of the anticipated audience also seems to require more exposition on the other end of the climax than I would otherwise expect to see. These are permissible given the purpose they serve for younger readers, and I will admit that Rowling ties up loose ends that I forgot had even been left dangling. I'm more curious as to the choice to ratchet up the maturity level, and the reading difficulty, of the books in the middle of the series. For children who aged along with the series as it was originally being written, this makes sense. But I can't help but wonder what might happen to the avid young reader nowadays who plows eagerly through three books and desperately wants to continue on before achieving the maturity not to be overly scared or disturbed by what follows.

A further concern of mine in reading was a subplot about the welfare of house-elves that clearly echoes slavery and racism. At first, I was happy to see this territory being explored, but then I realised that for much of the book, we're only hearing about the issue through the privileged characters' perspectives. Hermione seems to know exactly which side of injustice she is on without ever having really spoken to the victims of the injustice about their feelings on the matter. When she finally does, their affected speech is uncomfortably reminiscent of the stereotyped dialects of African-American slaves, and this bothered me. But there are other ways that prejudice is explored throughout the book, and the final message readers are left with seems to be a positive one, so I'll hope this was just unfortunate overthinking on my part as a result of having read this at a time when justice for all is not looking as rosy in the United States as we might like. And I'll hope that books like this contribute to a change in the way the next generation thinks about such issues. ( )
  quaintlittlehead | Dec 24, 2014 |
The fourth book in the Harry Potter phenomenon, at 734 pages, is what you call a wallow—one that some will find wide-ranging, compellingly written, and absorbing; others, long, rambling, and tortuously fraught with adverbs.

The fantasy writer's job is to conduct the willing reader from mundanity to magic. This is a feat of which only a superior imagination is capable, and Rowling possesses such equipment.

As the midpoint in a projected seven-book series, "Goblet of Fire" is exactly the big, clever, vibrant, tremendously assured installment that gives shape and direction to the whole undertaking and still somehow preserves the material's enchanting innocence.

J. K. Rowlingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
in memory of Mr. Ridley
and to Susan Sladden,
who helped Harry
out of his cupboard.
The villagers of Little Hangleton still called it 'the Riddle House', even though it had been many years since the Riddle family had lived there.
"Kill the spare"
In this book Harry conquers various tasks via the triwizard tournament, but is this tournament more than Harry can handle?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439139597, Hardcover)

In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, J.K. Rowling offers up equal parts danger and delight--and any number of dragons, house-elves, and death-defying challenges. Now 14, her orphan hero has only two more weeks with his Muggle relatives before returning to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Yet one night a vision harrowing enough to make his lightning-bolt-shaped scar burn has Harry on edge and contacting his godfather-in-hiding, Sirius Black. Happily, the prospect of attending the season's premier sporting event, the Quidditch World Cup, is enough to make Harry momentarily forget that Lord Voldemort and his sinister familiars--the Death Eaters--are out for murder.

Readers, we will cast a giant invisibility cloak over any more plot and reveal only that You-Know-Who is very much after Harry and that this year there will be no Quidditch matches between Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Instead, Hogwarts will vie with two other magicians' schools, the stylish Beauxbatons and the icy Durmstrang, in a Triwizard Tournament. Those chosen to compete will undergo three supreme tests. Could Harry be one of the lucky contenders?

But Quidditch buffs need not go into mourning: we get our share of this great game at the World Cup. Attempting to go incognito as Muggles, 100,000 witches and wizards converge on a "nice deserted moor." As ever, Rowling magicks up the details that make her world so vivid, and so comic. Several spectators' tents, for instance, are entirely unquotidian. One is a minipalace, complete with live peacocks; another has three floors and multiple turrets. And the sports paraphernalia on offer includes rosettes "squealing the names of the players" as well as "tiny models of Firebolts that really flew, and collectible figures of famous players, which strolled across the palm of your hand, preening themselves." Needless to say, the two teams are decidedly different, down to their mascots. Bulgaria is supported by the beautiful veela, who instantly enchant everyone--including Ireland's supporters--over to their side. Until, that is, thousands of tiny cheerleaders engage in some pyrotechnics of their own: "The leprechauns had risen into the air again, and this time, they formed a giant hand, which was making a very rude sign indeed at the veela across the field."

Long before her fourth installment appeared, Rowling warned that it would be darker, and it's true that every exhilaration is equaled by a moment that has us fearing for Harry's life, the book's emotions running as deep as its dangers. Along the way, though, she conjures up such new characters as Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody, a Dark Wizard catcher who may or may not be getting paranoid in his old age, and Rita Skeeter, who beetles around Hogwarts in search of stories. (This Daily Prophet scoop artist has a Quick-Quotes Quill that turns even the most innocent assertion into tabloid innuendo.) And at her bedazzling close, Rowling leaves several plot strands open, awaiting book 5. This fan is ready to wager that the author herself is part veela--her pen her wand, her commitment to her world complete. (Ages 9 and older) --Kerry Fried

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:05 -0400)

Harry Potter, a fourth-year student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, longs to escape his hateful relatives, the Dursleys, and live as a normal fourteen-year-old wizard, but what Harry does not yet realize is that he is not a normal wizard, and in his case, different can be deadly.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,160,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible