Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K.…

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2000)

by J. K. Rowling

Series: Harry Potter (4)

71,4116442 (4.35)13 / 776
Recently added byprivate library, gurtowski, Madonnayac, sa206, feliciadavolio, GlendaS, KaraSnyder, heathenbee, pyco18, rhopping
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (TeamJacob101)
    TeamJacob101: I Couldn't put it down!
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: Santa Olivia is admittedly built for a more mature audience, but the themes, character types, and situations in the Harry Potter series and in Carey's work make me believe a reader who enjoys one will likely enjoy the other. Santa Olivia, though, is not a traditional fantasy, but more in the lines of speculative fiction, so that fantasy-only readers who enjoy Harry Potter for primarily the inclusion of magic may not enjoy Carey's work. I'm recommending it with this Harry Potter book in particular since, for me, this was the book when the series took a leap toward becoming more adult. Santa Olivia is also probably the beginning of a forthcoming series.… (more)
    Sasquatch Moon by R. Stone (Anonymous user)
    Dangerous Donkey by Alaric Adair (markbiblos)
    markbiblos: A hero teenager doing crazy things under difficult conditions.

English (601)  Italian (7)  French (6)  German (6)  Dutch (6)  Finnish (4)  Spanish (3)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (2)  Swedish (2)  Arabic (2)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (644)
Goblet of Fire has never been my favourite Harry Potter book. I was fourteen or so the first time I read it, and back then I didn’t like the long set-up, the introductions to Barty Crouch and Ludo Bagman, followed by the Qudditch World Cup. I don’t care about sports, not even fantasy magic ones played on brooms. It isn’t until 150 pages in that we finally get back to Hogwarts.

Re-reading 15 years later, I found some even more uncomfortable elements that I can’t remember if I picked up on as a teenager. But, yeah:

The house elf subplot made me pretty uncomfortable. Hermione is the only one who has a problem with the way the elves are treated - forced to live and work in the kitchens, obey their masters, get no wages, no health care, and even inflict self-harm if they “disobey” - or even speak badly about their masters! You would think Hermione is right to be disturbed, but all the other characters throughout the book regard her with annoyance or a sort of condescending exasperation. You even see one of the house elves say she is ”properly ashamed of being freed.”(p. 331) Then she becomes a sobbing drunk because freedom. And this is not resolved, Hermione eventually just loses steam because it is so clear the rest of the wizarding world is against her on this, which is really disturbing and sad.

This is paralleled by some awkward social class stuff going on between Harry and Ron. Throughout this entire book we read about how Ron feels shitty because everything he owns is second-hand and/or cheap. Harry is rich in the wizarding world, but he can’t share his wealth, because “the Weasleys would never accept it." This leads to a big falling out between Harry and Ron, because Ron has finally had it with Harry getting everything - including the glory of being selected as a Triwizard Champion. At least this ends a little more satisfactorily than the house elf plot, with Harry donating his winnings from the Tournament to the Weasley twins to help them launch their joke shop and buy Ron some better formal robes.

But yeah, those things - and some little annoyances, like Ron and Hermione sniping at each other throughout the whole book - really dragged down my enjoyment of this one. However, to be fair I did like the Triwizard Tournament stuff, the challenges, seeing the students from other wizarding schools, the Yule Ball, and all of that. I enjoyed Moody and Snape’s interactions and the mystery of who was behind putting Harry’s name in the goblet. The last hundred pages or so are excellent, as the climax is hair-raising and the twists and reveals stunning - as you expect from a Harry Potter book. ( )
  catfantastic | Oct 16, 2016 |
I love this book. The series has an amazing storyline through out that keeps the readers entertained and interested. It has great character development and exciting plot.
  KJoPlante | Oct 14, 2016 |
Some of the parts of Goblet of Fire that I really love are:

The whole storyline between the Weasley twins and Ludo Bagman.
Meeting the elder Weasley brothers.
When Harry doesn’t recognize Hermione at the Yule Ball.
When Harry saves everyone from the merpeople.
When Hermione finally realizes how Rita Skeeter has been listening in on private conversations.
How Harry and Voldemort’s wands, with the common core, react to each other. I love how this tidbit, that was mentioned in Book 1, finally pays off here.

There is actually a whole lot to like in Goblet, from the innocence of first romance to the betrayal of a trusted mentor, to the loss of a peer and a life. This is why Harry Potter never felt like a “kid’s” book to me; the author manages to pack in so much relatable emotion into every single book. ( )
1 vote InvestedIvana | Oct 4, 2016 |
I love Harry Potter! ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
Amazing book ( )
  Bubamdk | Sep 9, 2016 |
The fourth book in the Harry Potter phenomenon, at 734 pages, is what you call a wallow—one that some will find wide-ranging, compellingly written, and absorbing; others, long, rambling, and tortuously fraught with adverbs.
The fantasy writer's job is to conduct the willing reader from mundanity to magic. This is a feat of which only a superior imagination is capable, and Rowling possesses such equipment.
As the midpoint in a projected seven-book series, "Goblet of Fire" is exactly the big, clever, vibrant, tremendously assured installment that gives shape and direction to the whole undertaking and still somehow preserves the material's enchanting innocence.
Tras otro abominable verano con los Dursley, Harry se dispone a iniciar el cuarto curso en Hogwarts, la famosa escuela de magia y hechicería. A sus catorce años, a Harry le gustaría ser un joven mago como los demás y dedicarse a aprender nuevos sortilegios, encontrarse con sus amigos Ron y Hermione y asistir con ellos a los Mundiales de quidditch. Sin embargo, al llegar al colegio le espera una gran sorpresa que lo obligará a enfrentarse a los desafíos más temibles de toda su vida. Si logra superarlos, habrá demostrado que ya no es un niño y que está preparado para vivir las nuevas y emocionantes experiencias que el futuro le depara.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

in memory of Mr. Ridley
and to Susan Sladden,
who helped Harry
out of his cupboard.
The villagers of Little Hangleton still called it 'the Riddle House', even though it had been many years since the Riddle family had lived there.
"Kill the spare"
In this book Harry conquers various tasks via the triwizard tournament, but is this tournament more than Harry can handle?
Headmaster cancelled

the school sports program so that

four kids could hunt eggs.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439139597, Hardcover)

In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, J.K. Rowling offers up equal parts danger and delight--and any number of dragons, house-elves, and death-defying challenges. Now 14, her orphan hero has only two more weeks with his Muggle relatives before returning to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Yet one night a vision harrowing enough to make his lightning-bolt-shaped scar burn has Harry on edge and contacting his godfather-in-hiding, Sirius Black. Happily, the prospect of attending the season's premier sporting event, the Quidditch World Cup, is enough to make Harry momentarily forget that Lord Voldemort and his sinister familiars--the Death Eaters--are out for murder.

Readers, we will cast a giant invisibility cloak over any more plot and reveal only that You-Know-Who is very much after Harry and that this year there will be no Quidditch matches between Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Instead, Hogwarts will vie with two other magicians' schools, the stylish Beauxbatons and the icy Durmstrang, in a Triwizard Tournament. Those chosen to compete will undergo three supreme tests. Could Harry be one of the lucky contenders?

But Quidditch buffs need not go into mourning: we get our share of this great game at the World Cup. Attempting to go incognito as Muggles, 100,000 witches and wizards converge on a "nice deserted moor." As ever, Rowling magicks up the details that make her world so vivid, and so comic. Several spectators' tents, for instance, are entirely unquotidian. One is a minipalace, complete with live peacocks; another has three floors and multiple turrets. And the sports paraphernalia on offer includes rosettes "squealing the names of the players" as well as "tiny models of Firebolts that really flew, and collectible figures of famous players, which strolled across the palm of your hand, preening themselves." Needless to say, the two teams are decidedly different, down to their mascots. Bulgaria is supported by the beautiful veela, who instantly enchant everyone--including Ireland's supporters--over to their side. Until, that is, thousands of tiny cheerleaders engage in some pyrotechnics of their own: "The leprechauns had risen into the air again, and this time, they formed a giant hand, which was making a very rude sign indeed at the veela across the field."

Long before her fourth installment appeared, Rowling warned that it would be darker, and it's true that every exhilaration is equaled by a moment that has us fearing for Harry's life, the book's emotions running as deep as its dangers. Along the way, though, she conjures up such new characters as Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody, a Dark Wizard catcher who may or may not be getting paranoid in his old age, and Rita Skeeter, who beetles around Hogwarts in search of stories. (This Daily Prophet scoop artist has a Quick-Quotes Quill that turns even the most innocent assertion into tabloid innuendo.) And at her bedazzling close, Rowling leaves several plot strands open, awaiting book 5. This fan is ready to wager that the author herself is part veela--her pen her wand, her commitment to her world complete. (Ages 9 and older) --Kerry Fried

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:29 -0400)

Fourteen-year-old Harry Potter joins the Weasleys at the Quidditch World Cup, then enters his fourth year at Hogwarts Academy where he is mysteriously entered in an unusual contest that challenges his wizarding skills, friendships and character, amid signs that an old enemy is growing stronger.… (more)

3 2039

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,816,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible