Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire by J.K.…

Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire (original 2000; edition 2002)

by J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPre (Illustrator)

78,6977296 (4.36)13 / 889
Member:pgoogs
Title:Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Other authors:Mary GrandPre (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2002), Paperback, 752 pages

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling (2000)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (TeamJacob101)
    TeamJacob101: I Couldn't put it down!
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: Santa Olivia is admittedly built for a more mature audience, but the themes, character types, and situations in the Harry Potter series and in Carey's work make me believe a reader who enjoys one will likely enjoy the other. Santa Olivia, though, is not a traditional fantasy, but more in the lines of speculative fiction, so that fantasy-only readers who enjoy Harry Potter for primarily the inclusion of magic may not enjoy Carey's work. I'm recommending it with this Harry Potter book in particular since, for me, this was the book when the series took a leap toward becoming more adult. Santa Olivia is also probably the beginning of a forthcoming series.… (more)
    Sasquatch Moon by R. Stone (Anonymous user)
    Dangerous Donkey (Adam Cranford Series) by Alaric Adair (markbiblos)
    markbiblos: A hero teenager doing crazy things under difficult conditions.
Elevenses (161)
Ghosts (105)

English (680)  Italian (8)  German (8)  Dutch (6)  French (6)  Spanish (4)  Finnish (4)  Swedish (3)  Danish (2)  Arabic (2)  Portuguese (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All languages (728)
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire starts with Harry having a nightmare about Voldemort and Wormtail killing someone. Harry is afraid this is another prediction of the future because his scar hurt. Soon after the dream, Harry goes to the Weasly's house and tells his friends Hermione and Ron about his dream before they go to the Quidditch Cup.
They all enjoy the game but after the game there was sort of a riot on the camp ground and someone castes a dark mark or a sign that a death eater (a follower of Voldemort) killed someone. Nobody was killed but a house elf was accused of doing it.
Harry, Ron, and Hermione arrive at Hogwarts on a really stormy night and hear about the Triwizard tournament and see that they have a new teacher commonly called "Mad eyed Moody." Harry, Ron, and the twins are upset that they can't enter because they are too young.
Someone puts Harry's name into the goblet of fire (an attempt to kill him with the games) and somehow gets accepted into the Triwizard tournament.
Hagrid tells Harry that the first task is dragons and shows Harry how to deal with them while Harry is under an invisibility cloak because Hagrid brought his crush Madam Maxime.
Cedric tries to help Harry but gets killed during the games. Harry is devastated.
Harry becomes friends with Mad eyed Moody.

Over all I thought this book was pretty good but I think I dragged on a bit. ( )
  sdewG3 | Mar 27, 2019 |
I can't believe I read this yet again... ( )
  jakebornheimer | Mar 27, 2019 |
I honestly didn't see myself getting that childlike sense of wonder back while reading these books. I know, I'm 21 and I haven't finished this series, but I did do it on purpose. I wanted it to drag on a little longer after the movies were long gone. I loved this one, as usual. I can't believe all the things that are left out and changed in the movies. I loved the characters, I loved the story. The only word that can really describe these books is fantastic. ( )
  AlliWolfe | Mar 25, 2019 |
I listened to this book on tape (yes tape) years ago when it first came out back in 2000. I had trouble getting into the first Harry Potter book and found that listening to it made it easier. I highly recommend listening to either the American or the British version of the audiobook. They are so amazingly well done and enjoyable to listen to. But anyway, I decided to pick this book and read it because my daughter is going through the series and I wanted to read them with her.

Harry is back at the Dursley's but things are a little bit different now that they know that his godfather is a wanted murderer who could pop up at any point and take issue with anything they do to Harry. So when the Weasleys ask if Harry can come with them to the Quidditch World Cup and to spend the rest of the summer with them Mr. Dursley wants to say no but doesn't dare do so for fear of what Sirius will do. Besides, it gets Harry out of his hair even earlier.

What Harry isn't telling anyone except only Sirius and only part of it to him is that he had a dream about Voldemort killing someone and that he had plans to kill someone, perhaps Harry, and that he woke up with his scar hurting. Sirius replies to keep him informed of anything suspicious.

The Weasleys arrive by flue powder into a fireplace that's blocked up and must be unblocked but that's not the worst of it. George and Fred leave behind one of their joke candies they have concocted for their business they're trying to start and Dudley eats it and his tongue grows exponentially. Once that's taken care of they head off toward the Weasley's home where Harry's best friend Ron's older brothers Bill and Charlie and Percy are all there taking time off from work to go with them.

They use a boot as a port key to arrive at the game grounds and find their campground area and set up their tents which Harry is surprised to find hold three rooms inside of them and multiple beds. The Irish are going up against Bulgaria. The Irish have a strong team but Bulgaria has a strong and popular seeker named Viktor Krum. Neither disappoints as the Irish win the game but Viktor catches the seeker spectacularly.

Then after the game, some Death Eaters began to have fun with some Muggles by tossing them in the air so wizards have to deal with them when suddenly across the sky is the Dark Mark, the signal to the Death Eaters to come to Lord Voldemort. The Death Eaters scatter and when Ludo Bagman who works in the Ministry as the Head of Magical Games and Sports as he was once a famous beater for a professional team is there in the forest where Ron, Hermione, and Harry are which is where the Dark Mark was sent. He accuses Harry but realizes how ridiculous that is when pointed out by Mr. Weasley. Then Barty Crouch who works for the Ministry finds his house elf, Winky, holding Harry's missing wand right behind them suspicion falls to her but not for long because house elves wouldn't know how to do the spell it is more likely she picked up his wand from the ground after whoever did the spell left. Barty looks in the bushes for anyone but finds no one there. He gives his house elf clothes and turns her away from his house. She is distraught.

Once they return to school they find out about their new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher Mad Eye Moody who is an Auror, or one who captures Death Eaters and the Triwizard Tournament that is only open to those wizards that are seventeen and up. Wizards from two other schools Beauxbatons from France and Durmstrang from Bulgaria are also competing. Viktor Krum will be one of those attempting to compete in the tournament from his school. You place your name in the goblet but it is spelled to keep out underage wizards. When they call out the names from each school Viktor Krum is called from Drumstang while Fleur Delacour for Beauxbaton and Cedric Digory from Hogwarts who is from the Hufflepuff House. Then the goblet throws out another name: Harry Potter. Someone put his name in the goblet perhaps to try to kill him with the tasks. But Ron refuses to believe that Harry didn't put his name in and he's pissed at Harry whom he has had to play second fiddle to too many times and won't have anything to do with Harry who gets pissed at Ron for not believing him and won't have anything to do with him which puts Hermione in the middle.

Hagrid finds out what the first task is which is dragons and shows Harry while under his invisibility cloak since he's also showing Madam Maxime the head of Beauxbaton whom he has taken a liking too since she is part giant too, though she won't admit it. Professor Karkaroff of Durmstrang is sneaking around and finds out himself. Harry will end up telling Cedric about the dragons to keep things fair. Mad Eye will also offer some help with the task by pointing him in the right direction to the answer as to how to defeat the dragons. And during the second task, Cedric will return the favor by helping Harry out though at this point Harry isn't sure he can trust Cedric who took the girl Harry wanted to take to the big dance leaving him scrambling to find a date with someone he didn't care about.

There are all sorts of subplots going on such as Hermione's crusade to free the house elves at Hogwarts whether they want to be freed or not. And Rita Skeeter a reporter who seems to know things she couldn't know as she's not allowed on school grounds who distorts the truth and makes a general menace of herself.

Mad Eye is the fourth Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher and he's only around for this year. I wonder who they'll get next year? He befriends Harry not quite as Lupin did but in his own way. Professor Karkoff is said to teach his students the Dark Arts magic. Is he a Death Eater? Is that why Moody's here? To keep an eye on him?

This is one of Rowlings longest books and the first where a kid dies. When I was a librarian and this book came out there was a huge fight over where to place it between the children's librarian and the young adult librarian. The young adult librarian argued that someone dies and that's heavy stuff and it should be in the older section of the library. Since my daughter is reading my copy I checked out a copy from the library and it was found in the young adult section. I use two libraries from two counties and it was there in both of them. But my daughter is nine and I had no problem with her reading it. But then I don't believe in really putting limits on her reading. This book is a turning point in the series where Rowling begins to take no prisoners. It's the last book of innocence, which is shattered. People die including a kid and Ron and Harry's friendship is tested to the limits. Voldemort is back but no one knows it except maybe Harry and a few other people. But in what form he's back is unknown as is what he is up to. This book is one of the best books in the series. I give it five out of five stars. ( )
  nicolewbrown | Mar 18, 2019 |
The story starts with Harry Potter at the Dursleys' as usual. Later he gets to go to Ron's house for the Quidditch world cup. Sadly Death Eater's attacked. He goes home and is escorted to platform 9 3/4. He goes to Hogwarts where Dumbledore reveals that the Tri-Wizard tournament will be held at Hogwarts. Only wizards in their last year of Hogwarts could try and enter. Hogwarts students, Durmstrang students, and the wizard/witch students from Paris. But somehow Harry was registered and became a champion of a forth imaginary school. The first 2 challenges consisted of getting a fake egg from a dragon, and finding 4 people tied to a rock at the bottom of a lake surrounded by merpeople. The last obstacle consisted of trying to find a trophy in a maze with plenty of treacherous trials and obstacles. Cedric Diggory and Harry decide to take the trophy together. Sadly they are warped to Lord Voldemort where Cedric Diggory died. After fighting Voldemort and seeing the spirit of his parents, he escapes by using the trophy to warp back home. He later finds out that his favorite teacher is an impostor and is trying to kill him. Sadly before Dumbledore gets something really important out of him, Fudge's dementor sucks the soul out of the impostor. Luckily (yet sadly) they find the real teacher in a chest. ( )
1 vote AlexanderL.B4 | Feb 19, 2019 |
Tras otro abominable verano con los Dursley, Harry se dispone a iniciar el cuarto curso en Hogwarts, la famosa escuela de magia y hechicería. A sus catorce años, a Harry le gustaría ser un joven mago como los demás y dedicarse a aprender nuevos sortilegios, encontrarse con sus amigos Ron y Hermione y asistir con ellos a los Mundiales de quidditch. Sin embargo, al llegar al colegio le espera una gran sorpresa que lo obligará a enfrentarse a los desafíos más temibles de toda su vida. Si logra superarlos, habrá demostrado que ya no es un niño y que está preparado para vivir las nuevas y emocionantes experiencias que el futuro le depara.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

in memory of Mr. Ridley
and to Susan Sladden,
who helped Harry
out of his cupboard.
The villagers of Little Hangleton still called it 'the Riddle House', even though it had been many years since the Riddle family had lived there.
"Kill the spare"
In this book Harry conquers various tasks via the triwizard tournament, but is this tournament more than Harry can handle?
Headmaster cancelled

the school sports program so that

four kids could hunt eggs.

(CathWhitney)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439139597, Hardcover)

In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, J.K. Rowling offers up equal parts danger and delight--and any number of dragons, house-elves, and death-defying challenges. Now 14, her orphan hero has only two more weeks with his Muggle relatives before returning to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Yet one night a vision harrowing enough to make his lightning-bolt-shaped scar burn has Harry on edge and contacting his godfather-in-hiding, Sirius Black. Happily, the prospect of attending the season's premier sporting event, the Quidditch World Cup, is enough to make Harry momentarily forget that Lord Voldemort and his sinister familiars--the Death Eaters--are out for murder.

Readers, we will cast a giant invisibility cloak over any more plot and reveal only that You-Know-Who is very much after Harry and that this year there will be no Quidditch matches between Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Instead, Hogwarts will vie with two other magicians' schools, the stylish Beauxbatons and the icy Durmstrang, in a Triwizard Tournament. Those chosen to compete will undergo three supreme tests. Could Harry be one of the lucky contenders?

But Quidditch buffs need not go into mourning: we get our share of this great game at the World Cup. Attempting to go incognito as Muggles, 100,000 witches and wizards converge on a "nice deserted moor." As ever, Rowling magicks up the details that make her world so vivid, and so comic. Several spectators' tents, for instance, are entirely unquotidian. One is a minipalace, complete with live peacocks; another has three floors and multiple turrets. And the sports paraphernalia on offer includes rosettes "squealing the names of the players" as well as "tiny models of Firebolts that really flew, and collectible figures of famous players, which strolled across the palm of your hand, preening themselves." Needless to say, the two teams are decidedly different, down to their mascots. Bulgaria is supported by the beautiful veela, who instantly enchant everyone--including Ireland's supporters--over to their side. Until, that is, thousands of tiny cheerleaders engage in some pyrotechnics of their own: "The leprechauns had risen into the air again, and this time, they formed a giant hand, which was making a very rude sign indeed at the veela across the field."

Long before her fourth installment appeared, Rowling warned that it would be darker, and it's true that every exhilaration is equaled by a moment that has us fearing for Harry's life, the book's emotions running as deep as its dangers. Along the way, though, she conjures up such new characters as Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody, a Dark Wizard catcher who may or may not be getting paranoid in his old age, and Rita Skeeter, who beetles around Hogwarts in search of stories. (This Daily Prophet scoop artist has a Quick-Quotes Quill that turns even the most innocent assertion into tabloid innuendo.) And at her bedazzling close, Rowling leaves several plot strands open, awaiting book 5. This fan is ready to wager that the author herself is part veela--her pen her wand, her commitment to her world complete. (Ages 9 and older) --Kerry Fried

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:29 -0400)

Fourteen-year-old Harry Potter joins the Weasleys at the Quidditch World Cup, then enters his fourth year at Hogwarts Academy where he is mysteriously entered in an unusual contest that challenges his wizarding skills, friendships and character, amid signs that an old enemy is growing stronger.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,116,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible