Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)…

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4) (original 2000; edition 2000)

by J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré (Illustrator)

72,0366562 (4.36)13 / 801
Member:VincentGoren
Title:Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Other authors:Mary GrandPré (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Press (2000), Edition: 1st American Edition, Hardcover, 734 pages

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling (2000)

Recently added byprivate library, Frankie_Andrews, MontagueES, harlaquin64, RaileyMaree, KimOtis, ToniFGMAMTC, warrior4321
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (TeamJacob101)
    TeamJacob101: I Couldn't put it down!
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: Santa Olivia is admittedly built for a more mature audience, but the themes, character types, and situations in the Harry Potter series and in Carey's work make me believe a reader who enjoys one will likely enjoy the other. Santa Olivia, though, is not a traditional fantasy, but more in the lines of speculative fiction, so that fantasy-only readers who enjoy Harry Potter for primarily the inclusion of magic may not enjoy Carey's work. I'm recommending it with this Harry Potter book in particular since, for me, this was the book when the series took a leap toward becoming more adult. Santa Olivia is also probably the beginning of a forthcoming series.… (more)
    Sasquatch Moon by R. Stone (Anonymous user)
    Dangerous Donkey (Adam Cranford Series) by Alaric Adair (markbiblos)
    markbiblos: A hero teenager doing crazy things under difficult conditions.

English (613)  Italian (7)  French (6)  German (6)  Dutch (6)  Finnish (4)  Spanish (3)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (2)  Swedish (2)  Arabic (2)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All (1)  All (656)
The best of the series? I think the books start to get kind of bloated after #4, and here Rowling's at her mysterious, comedic, suspenseful best. So much fun to read to my girls. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
Beware: Some spoilers!

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is my second favorite of all the Potter books, and for good reason - it's filled with action, new characters, and it's the turning point of the series. Listening to the audiobook just made it better. Narrator Jim Dale continues to improve his voices. I particularly enjoyed his choice for Madame Maxime. I also continue to enjoy his choices for the Weasley twins, Professor McGonagall, and Professor Snape. I think a good narrator really brings the characters to life.

As for the story itself, I think that GoF is most enjoyable because it is different. Yes, yes, it's still a story about Harry fighting Voldemort, but the nature of it is much different than the previous three. Harry's routine classes start to slide into the back seat as the three tasks take prominence. Having daily life at Hogwarts in the rearview mirror instead of front and center is a theme that will continue through the rest of the series. Although I really enjoy walking through Harry's classes, it's very much essential that these things fade away to focus more prominently on Voldemort's rise.

GoF challenges the relationship between Harry and his friends. We see the first real fracture between himself and Ron, and the bitter seed planted here will continue to root and grow for the rest of the series. In addition, the dance between Ron and Hermione as a future couple begins to get interesting at the Yule Ball. But outside of the regulars, we also get to see a bit of development in Hagrid's story, which is a wonderful treat, as well as some background on Neville Longbottom. Both these characters have been hovering supportively near the trio since book one, and it's nice to see they've not been forgotten.

Despite the shifting focus of the story, Rowling continues to outline the beauty and wonder of the magical world, and she never fails to add comedy to the edges. Life, after all, is not always busy and grim. While our usual comedians, the Weasley twins, are a bit busy this book, they still have their moment. Add to that Dobby's socks, the awkwardness of the Yule Ball, and the notorious Amazing Bouncing Ferret... and despite the dark turn of things, I still found myself chuckling.

All in all, I'd say Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire still holds its place as my second favorite of the Potter books and as one of my top 25 Desert Island books... It's captivating, engrossing, fun, action-filled, witty, beautifully written, and dear to my heart. It was good fun to renew my memories of this story, and I love looking back in retrospective and finding all the bits and pieces I've managed to miss in previous readings that the audio book really illuminated. All the points to Gryffindor! ( )
  Morteana | Dec 29, 2016 |
This book took me forever to read because it didn’t pull me in - I had plenty of reading time, but wasn’t motivated to pick it up. The story was pretty good overall; I liked the storyline better than the one in book 3. I also like that the books are getting more involved…they seem a little less Harry-centric (if that’s possible) and more well-rounded to give a complete story of a year at Hogwarts. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Dec 26, 2016 |
So far this one is my favorite in the series. It was definitely a long read but it kept my interest the whole way through. This time around Harry gets picked for the Triwizard Tournament and as you can imagine, things go crazy througout the story.

For the rest of the review, visit my blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/118952.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Dec 20, 2016 |
Another cracker from JK, good story, a nice quick read. ( )
  mhanlon | Dec 13, 2016 |
The fourth book in the Harry Potter phenomenon, at 734 pages, is what you call a wallow—one that some will find wide-ranging, compellingly written, and absorbing; others, long, rambling, and tortuously fraught with adverbs.

The fantasy writer's job is to conduct the willing reader from mundanity to magic. This is a feat of which only a superior imagination is capable, and Rowling possesses such equipment.

As the midpoint in a projected seven-book series, "Goblet of Fire" is exactly the big, clever, vibrant, tremendously assured installment that gives shape and direction to the whole undertaking and still somehow preserves the material's enchanting innocence.

Tras otro abominable verano con los Dursley, Harry se dispone a iniciar el cuarto curso en Hogwarts, la famosa escuela de magia y hechicería. A sus catorce años, a Harry le gustaría ser un joven mago como los demás y dedicarse a aprender nuevos sortilegios, encontrarse con sus amigos Ron y Hermione y asistir con ellos a los Mundiales de quidditch. Sin embargo, al llegar al colegio le espera una gran sorpresa que lo obligará a enfrentarse a los desafíos más temibles de toda su vida. Si logra superarlos, habrá demostrado que ya no es un niño y que está preparado para vivir las nuevas y emocionantes experiencias que el futuro le depara.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

in memory of Mr. Ridley
and to Susan Sladden,
who helped Harry
out of his cupboard.
The villagers of Little Hangleton still called it 'the Riddle House', even though it had been many years since the Riddle family had lived there.
"Kill the spare"
In this book Harry conquers various tasks via the triwizard tournament, but is this tournament more than Harry can handle?

AR Level 6.8, 32 pts
Headmaster cancelled

the school sports program so that

four kids could hunt eggs.

(CathWhitney)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439139597, Hardcover)

In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, J.K. Rowling offers up equal parts danger and delight--and any number of dragons, house-elves, and death-defying challenges. Now 14, her orphan hero has only two more weeks with his Muggle relatives before returning to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Yet one night a vision harrowing enough to make his lightning-bolt-shaped scar burn has Harry on edge and contacting his godfather-in-hiding, Sirius Black. Happily, the prospect of attending the season's premier sporting event, the Quidditch World Cup, is enough to make Harry momentarily forget that Lord Voldemort and his sinister familiars--the Death Eaters--are out for murder.

Readers, we will cast a giant invisibility cloak over any more plot and reveal only that You-Know-Who is very much after Harry and that this year there will be no Quidditch matches between Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Instead, Hogwarts will vie with two other magicians' schools, the stylish Beauxbatons and the icy Durmstrang, in a Triwizard Tournament. Those chosen to compete will undergo three supreme tests. Could Harry be one of the lucky contenders?

But Quidditch buffs need not go into mourning: we get our share of this great game at the World Cup. Attempting to go incognito as Muggles, 100,000 witches and wizards converge on a "nice deserted moor." As ever, Rowling magicks up the details that make her world so vivid, and so comic. Several spectators' tents, for instance, are entirely unquotidian. One is a minipalace, complete with live peacocks; another has three floors and multiple turrets. And the sports paraphernalia on offer includes rosettes "squealing the names of the players" as well as "tiny models of Firebolts that really flew, and collectible figures of famous players, which strolled across the palm of your hand, preening themselves." Needless to say, the two teams are decidedly different, down to their mascots. Bulgaria is supported by the beautiful veela, who instantly enchant everyone--including Ireland's supporters--over to their side. Until, that is, thousands of tiny cheerleaders engage in some pyrotechnics of their own: "The leprechauns had risen into the air again, and this time, they formed a giant hand, which was making a very rude sign indeed at the veela across the field."

Long before her fourth installment appeared, Rowling warned that it would be darker, and it's true that every exhilaration is equaled by a moment that has us fearing for Harry's life, the book's emotions running as deep as its dangers. Along the way, though, she conjures up such new characters as Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody, a Dark Wizard catcher who may or may not be getting paranoid in his old age, and Rita Skeeter, who beetles around Hogwarts in search of stories. (This Daily Prophet scoop artist has a Quick-Quotes Quill that turns even the most innocent assertion into tabloid innuendo.) And at her bedazzling close, Rowling leaves several plot strands open, awaiting book 5. This fan is ready to wager that the author herself is part veela--her pen her wand, her commitment to her world complete. (Ages 9 and older) --Kerry Fried

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:29 -0400)

Fourteen-year-old Harry Potter joins the Weasleys at the Quidditch World Cup, then enters his fourth year at Hogwarts Academy where he is mysteriously entered in an unusual contest that challenges his wizarding skills, friendships and character, amid signs that an old enemy is growing stronger.… (more)

3 2059

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,756,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible