Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)…

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4) (original 2000; edition 2000)

by J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré (Illustrator)

78,8667296 (4.36)13 / 893
Member:FifteenMeanings
Title:Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Other authors:Mary GrandPré (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Press (2000), Edition: 1st American Edition, Hardcover, 734 pages

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling (2000)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (TeamJacob101)
    TeamJacob101: I Couldn't put it down!
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: Santa Olivia is admittedly built for a more mature audience, but the themes, character types, and situations in the Harry Potter series and in Carey's work make me believe a reader who enjoys one will likely enjoy the other. Santa Olivia, though, is not a traditional fantasy, but more in the lines of speculative fiction, so that fantasy-only readers who enjoy Harry Potter for primarily the inclusion of magic may not enjoy Carey's work. I'm recommending it with this Harry Potter book in particular since, for me, this was the book when the series took a leap toward becoming more adult. Santa Olivia is also probably the beginning of a forthcoming series.… (more)
    Sasquatch Moon by R. Stone (Anonymous user)
    Dangerous Donkey (Adam Cranford Series) by Alaric Adair (markbiblos)
    markbiblos: A hero teenager doing crazy things under difficult conditions.
Elevenses (161)
Orphans (10)
Ghosts (81)

English (682)  Italian (8)  German (8)  Dutch (6)  French (6)  Spanish (4)  Finnish (4)  Swedish (3)  Danish (2)  Arabic (2)  Portuguese (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All languages (730)
I liked this book. It was packed with action, not only adventures of Harry but also interaction with other students, lines that more or less followed the visitors of the other schools in their mingling with the Hogwarts' pupils and staff. I liked Hermione's attempt to 'free' the house elfs at Hogwarts.
I haven't seen alle the movies, but I was happy to have seen the one that Dobby appeared in for the first time. Now at least I have an idea what house elfs look like.
I hope the next book will be as good as this one! ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | May 6, 2019 |
The book was amazing, I've been waiting to read it and it is written so well. It was full of detail and while reading this book you can imagine everything clearly, down to Harry Potter and Cedric Diggory both trying to get to the trophy to win the Triwizard Tournament in the maze. I recommend this book to anyone to read. ( )
  ani_cheer | Apr 30, 2019 |
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire starts with Harry having a nightmare about Voldemort and Wormtail killing someone. Harry is afraid this is another prediction of the future because his scar hurt. Soon after the dream, Harry goes to the Weasly's house and tells his friends Hermione and Ron about his dream before they go to the Quidditch Cup.
They all enjoy the game but after the game there was sort of a riot on the camp ground and someone castes a dark mark or a sign that a death eater (a follower of Voldemort) killed someone. Nobody was killed but a house elf was accused of doing it.
Harry, Ron, and Hermione arrive at Hogwarts on a really stormy night and hear about the Triwizard tournament and see that they have a new teacher commonly called "Mad eyed Moody." Harry, Ron, and the twins are upset that they can't enter because they are too young.
Someone puts Harry's name into the goblet of fire (an attempt to kill him with the games) and somehow gets accepted into the Triwizard tournament.
Hagrid tells Harry that the first task is dragons and shows Harry how to deal with them while Harry is under an invisibility cloak because Hagrid brought his crush Madam Maxime.
Cedric tries to help Harry but gets killed during the games. Harry is devastated.
Harry becomes friends with Mad eyed Moody.

Over all I thought this book was pretty good but I think I dragged on a bit. ( )
  sdewG3 | Mar 27, 2019 |
I can't believe I read this yet again... ( )
  jakebornheimer | Mar 27, 2019 |
I honestly didn't see myself getting that childlike sense of wonder back while reading these books. I know, I'm 21 and I haven't finished this series, but I did do it on purpose. I wanted it to drag on a little longer after the movies were long gone. I loved this one, as usual. I can't believe all the things that are left out and changed in the movies. I loved the characters, I loved the story. The only word that can really describe these books is fantastic. ( )
  AlliWolfe | Mar 25, 2019 |
Tras otro abominable verano con los Dursley, Harry se dispone a iniciar el cuarto curso en Hogwarts, la famosa escuela de magia y hechicería. A sus catorce años, a Harry le gustaría ser un joven mago como los demás y dedicarse a aprender nuevos sortilegios, encontrarse con sus amigos Ron y Hermione y asistir con ellos a los Mundiales de quidditch. Sin embargo, al llegar al colegio le espera una gran sorpresa que lo obligará a enfrentarse a los desafíos más temibles de toda su vida. Si logra superarlos, habrá demostrado que ya no es un niño y que está preparado para vivir las nuevas y emocionantes experiencias que el futuro le depara.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

in memory of Mr. Ridley
and to Susan Sladden,
who helped Harry
out of his cupboard.
The villagers of Little Hangleton still called it 'the Riddle House', even though it had been many years since the Riddle family had lived there.
"Kill the spare"
In this book Harry conquers various tasks via the triwizard tournament, but is this tournament more than Harry can handle?
Headmaster cancelled

the school sports program so that

four kids could hunt eggs.

(CathWhitney)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439139597, Hardcover)

In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, J.K. Rowling offers up equal parts danger and delight--and any number of dragons, house-elves, and death-defying challenges. Now 14, her orphan hero has only two more weeks with his Muggle relatives before returning to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Yet one night a vision harrowing enough to make his lightning-bolt-shaped scar burn has Harry on edge and contacting his godfather-in-hiding, Sirius Black. Happily, the prospect of attending the season's premier sporting event, the Quidditch World Cup, is enough to make Harry momentarily forget that Lord Voldemort and his sinister familiars--the Death Eaters--are out for murder.

Readers, we will cast a giant invisibility cloak over any more plot and reveal only that You-Know-Who is very much after Harry and that this year there will be no Quidditch matches between Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Instead, Hogwarts will vie with two other magicians' schools, the stylish Beauxbatons and the icy Durmstrang, in a Triwizard Tournament. Those chosen to compete will undergo three supreme tests. Could Harry be one of the lucky contenders?

But Quidditch buffs need not go into mourning: we get our share of this great game at the World Cup. Attempting to go incognito as Muggles, 100,000 witches and wizards converge on a "nice deserted moor." As ever, Rowling magicks up the details that make her world so vivid, and so comic. Several spectators' tents, for instance, are entirely unquotidian. One is a minipalace, complete with live peacocks; another has three floors and multiple turrets. And the sports paraphernalia on offer includes rosettes "squealing the names of the players" as well as "tiny models of Firebolts that really flew, and collectible figures of famous players, which strolled across the palm of your hand, preening themselves." Needless to say, the two teams are decidedly different, down to their mascots. Bulgaria is supported by the beautiful veela, who instantly enchant everyone--including Ireland's supporters--over to their side. Until, that is, thousands of tiny cheerleaders engage in some pyrotechnics of their own: "The leprechauns had risen into the air again, and this time, they formed a giant hand, which was making a very rude sign indeed at the veela across the field."

Long before her fourth installment appeared, Rowling warned that it would be darker, and it's true that every exhilaration is equaled by a moment that has us fearing for Harry's life, the book's emotions running as deep as its dangers. Along the way, though, she conjures up such new characters as Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody, a Dark Wizard catcher who may or may not be getting paranoid in his old age, and Rita Skeeter, who beetles around Hogwarts in search of stories. (This Daily Prophet scoop artist has a Quick-Quotes Quill that turns even the most innocent assertion into tabloid innuendo.) And at her bedazzling close, Rowling leaves several plot strands open, awaiting book 5. This fan is ready to wager that the author herself is part veela--her pen her wand, her commitment to her world complete. (Ages 9 and older) --Kerry Fried

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:29 -0400)

Fourteen-year-old Harry Potter joins the Weasleys at the Quidditch World Cup, then enters his fourth year at Hogwarts Academy where he is mysteriously entered in an unusual contest that challenges his wizarding skills, friendships and character, amid signs that an old enemy is growing stronger.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,815,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible