Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)…

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4) (original 2000; edition 2001)

by J.K. Rowling

65,7495325 (4.35)13 / 630
Member:rightantler
Title:Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Info:Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (2001), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 640 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Stewart's Read
Tags:Y01, fiction

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling (2000)

Recently added byduowolf, RoxiePoxie4, NineLarks, HeathDAlberts, madmatt112, private library, posot
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (TeamJacob101)
    TeamJacob101: I Couldn't put it down!
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: Santa Olivia is admittedly built for a more mature audience, but the themes, character types, and situations in the Harry Potter series and in Carey's work make me believe a reader who enjoys one will likely enjoy the other. Santa Olivia, though, is not a traditional fantasy, but more in the lines of speculative fiction, so that fantasy-only readers who enjoy Harry Potter for primarily the inclusion of magic may not enjoy Carey's work. I'm recommending it with this Harry Potter book in particular since, for me, this was the book when the series took a leap toward becoming more adult. Santa Olivia is also probably the beginning of a forthcoming series.… (more)
    Dangerous Donkey by Alaric Adair (markbiblos)
    markbiblos: A hero teenager doing crazy things under difficult conditions.

English (493)  German (6)  Italian (6)  French (5)  Dutch (5)  Finnish (4)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (2)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (2)  Arabic (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All languages (533)

If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals...Sirius Black ( )
  bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
I have now read this book three times. Still love it. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |

[Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire] by [[J. K. Rowling]] - At the beginning of his fourth year at Hogwarts, Harry learns much more about wizard culture. He attends the Quidditch World Cup and meets foreign wizards, and also sees some remnants of Lord Voldemort’s followers. Once back at school, it is announced that there will be a tournament between representatives of Hogwarts and two other wizarding schools. But underneath the excitement and anticipation, Harry’s burning scar and terrifying dreams indicate something sinister waits just beyond the horizon.

The fourth book in the series is simultaneously the most likeable and the least likely of them all. (Which seems appropriate, since it’s right in the middle.) First, the bad: If there aren’t other wizarding schools in Britain, how can the country sustain a league of at least 12 professional quidditch teams? Why would anyone force a child to compete in a dangerous competition he didn’t volunteer for and is unqualified for, just because a (clearly tampered-with) cup told them to? Why didn’t Moody portkey Harry to the cemetery like, the first day of term? Why didn’t any of the THREE competitors who are proficient with a broom think to fly over the maze while it’s growing to see what the layout is? Why does Harry keep using a spell to make his wand face north in a maze? That’s not at all useful. It was also entirely too convenient that a woman who gets captured on vacation in Albania happens to be the one person in the world who knows about Barty Crouch Jr.
And yet, the good is oh so very good. Who doesn’t love a good international competition?? The world-building steps up a notch with the addition of other cultures, and the tournament tasks are the perfect combination of puzzles and thrills. And the plot twist: Barty Crouch Jr.’s disguise as Mad-Eye Moody is oh-so-perfect. Moody is already weird, drinks from a flask, has lots of magical surveillance equipment, and “hates a Death Eater that walked free”. I love rereading and spotting all the lines and plot points which have completely different meanings when you know who Moody is. Just brilliant. Despite its shortcomings, the fourth volume lives up to the expectation of perfect plot intricacies that the previous books have set.
As I think I’ve mentioned before, I’m reading some of the series (including this one) as British editions. As with the previous two volumes, I’ve noticed pretty much zero difference between the editions, which makes me feel a little resentful that Americans were made to wait so long for “translated” editions of the first four books. ( )
1 vote norabelle414 | Aug 11, 2014 |
This was the second time I've read this book. I've been working through the Harry Potter series with my two young children, and we're enjoying getting to know the witches and wizards in print, and then viewing the movies as well. We like to compare and contrast the stories presented in the two mediums. This HP installment definitely turns darker, with the death of one young character and the gruesome scene in a graveyard near the end. I would not read this to children who are younger than kindergarten, or to those who are not mature enough. I did find the story line of Hermione standing up for the house elves annoying and distracting, but at parts it was funny. My kids laughed at Dobby and Winky's antics. Rowling alwayes does a nice job of interweaving details from the previous books to refresh readers' memories and keep them reading. I'm looking forward to digging into the next in the series. ( )
  wscalfaro | Aug 6, 2014 |
700 pages...wow! Read in less than 2 weeks--more wow! Interesting story...it's amazing to me how different the Harry Potter in the books and the Harry Potter movies are very different. I'm over halfway through the series now...which is pretty much what is keeping me going! :) ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
The fourth book in the Harry Potter phenomenon, at 734 pages, is what you call a wallow—one that some will find wide-ranging, compellingly written, and absorbing; others, long, rambling, and tortuously fraught with adverbs.

The fantasy writer's job is to conduct the willing reader from mundanity to magic. This is a feat of which only a superior imagination is capable, and Rowling possesses such equipment.

As the midpoint in a projected seven-book series, "Goblet of Fire" is exactly the big, clever, vibrant, tremendously assured installment that gives shape and direction to the whole undertaking and still somehow preserves the material's enchanting innocence.

J. K. Rowlingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
in memory of Mr. Ridley
and to Susan Sladden,
who helped Harry
out of his cupboard.
The villagers of Little Hangleton still called it 'the Riddle House', even though it had been many years since the Riddle family had lived there.
"Kill the spare"
In this book Harry conquers various tasks via the triwizard tournament, but is this tournament more than Harry can handle?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439139597, Hardcover)

In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, J.K. Rowling offers up equal parts danger and delight--and any number of dragons, house-elves, and death-defying challenges. Now 14, her orphan hero has only two more weeks with his Muggle relatives before returning to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Yet one night a vision harrowing enough to make his lightning-bolt-shaped scar burn has Harry on edge and contacting his godfather-in-hiding, Sirius Black. Happily, the prospect of attending the season's premier sporting event, the Quidditch World Cup, is enough to make Harry momentarily forget that Lord Voldemort and his sinister familiars--the Death Eaters--are out for murder.

Readers, we will cast a giant invisibility cloak over any more plot and reveal only that You-Know-Who is very much after Harry and that this year there will be no Quidditch matches between Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Instead, Hogwarts will vie with two other magicians' schools, the stylish Beauxbatons and the icy Durmstrang, in a Triwizard Tournament. Those chosen to compete will undergo three supreme tests. Could Harry be one of the lucky contenders?

But Quidditch buffs need not go into mourning: we get our share of this great game at the World Cup. Attempting to go incognito as Muggles, 100,000 witches and wizards converge on a "nice deserted moor." As ever, Rowling magicks up the details that make her world so vivid, and so comic. Several spectators' tents, for instance, are entirely unquotidian. One is a minipalace, complete with live peacocks; another has three floors and multiple turrets. And the sports paraphernalia on offer includes rosettes "squealing the names of the players" as well as "tiny models of Firebolts that really flew, and collectible figures of famous players, which strolled across the palm of your hand, preening themselves." Needless to say, the two teams are decidedly different, down to their mascots. Bulgaria is supported by the beautiful veela, who instantly enchant everyone--including Ireland's supporters--over to their side. Until, that is, thousands of tiny cheerleaders engage in some pyrotechnics of their own: "The leprechauns had risen into the air again, and this time, they formed a giant hand, which was making a very rude sign indeed at the veela across the field."

Long before her fourth installment appeared, Rowling warned that it would be darker, and it's true that every exhilaration is equaled by a moment that has us fearing for Harry's life, the book's emotions running as deep as its dangers. Along the way, though, she conjures up such new characters as Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody, a Dark Wizard catcher who may or may not be getting paranoid in his old age, and Rita Skeeter, who beetles around Hogwarts in search of stories. (This Daily Prophet scoop artist has a Quick-Quotes Quill that turns even the most innocent assertion into tabloid innuendo.) And at her bedazzling close, Rowling leaves several plot strands open, awaiting book 5. This fan is ready to wager that the author herself is part veela--her pen her wand, her commitment to her world complete. (Ages 9 and older) --Kerry Fried

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:05 -0400)

Harry Potter, a fourth-year student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, longs to escape his hateful relatives, the Dursleys, and live as a normal fourteen-year-old wizard, but what Harry does not yet realize is that he is not a normal wizard, and in his case, different can be deadly.… (more)

Current discussions

Harry Potter and the Re/Read of The Goblet of Fire in 75 Books Challenge for 2014

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,563,416 books! | Top bar: Always visible