HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)…
Loading...

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4) (original 2000; edition 2001)

by J.K. Rowling

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingConversations / Mentions
66,5545494 (4.35)13 / 656
Member:rightantler
Title:Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Info:Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (2001), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 640 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Stewart's Read
Rating:
Tags:Y01, fiction

Work details

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling (2000)

Recently added byareni55, Danigirl121, manjola.m, nichole7, nhanfg, DvAnarion, private library, A.V.Eleven, uculc
  1. 191
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (TeamJacob101)
    TeamJacob101: I Couldn't put it down!
  2. 133
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
  3. 159
    Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
  4. 31
    Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: Santa Olivia is admittedly built for a more mature audience, but the themes, character types, and situations in the Harry Potter series and in Carey's work make me believe a reader who enjoys one will likely enjoy the other. Santa Olivia, though, is not a traditional fantasy, but more in the lines of speculative fiction, so that fantasy-only readers who enjoy Harry Potter for primarily the inclusion of magic may not enjoy Carey's work. I'm recommending it with this Harry Potter book in particular since, for me, this was the book when the series took a leap toward becoming more adult. Santa Olivia is also probably the beginning of a forthcoming series.… (more)
  5. 22
    Dangerous Donkey by Alaric Adair (markbiblos)
    markbiblos: A hero teenager doing crazy things under difficult conditions.
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

English (508)  German (6)  Italian (6)  French (6)  Dutch (5)  Finnish (4)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (2)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (2)  Arabic (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All languages (549)
Showing 1-5 of 508 (next | show all)
Pikkuhirttivaaran kylässä tapahtuu kummia: aution talon puutarhuri näkee outoa loimotusta päärakennuksesta ja menee tutkimaan asiaa. Hän kuuntelee raolleen jääneen oven takana, kun kaksi miestä punoo karmeita juonia. Silloin paikalle luikertelee jättiläiskäärme ja puutarhurin on astuttava huoneeseen - kauhein seurauksin.Samaan aikaan Harry Potter herää Likusteritiellä arvessaan tuntuvaan polttavaan kipuun...

Ennen neljännen kouluvuoden alkua Harry pääsee Weasleyn veljesten kanssa seuraamaan huispauksen maailmanmestaruuskisoja. Jännittävän ja yllätyksellisen loppuottelun jälkeen syntyy sekasortoa, kun taivaalle leimahtaa pimeän piirto ja kuolonsyöjät marssivat esiin. Keitä he ovat? Harryn neljäntenä kouluvuonna Tylypahkan koulussa järjestetään kolmivelhoturnajaiset, johon osallistuu oman koulun lisäksi kaksi muuta velhokoulua. Kustakin osallistujakoulusta valitaan ottelija kolmeen rohkeutta, taitoa ja ajattelua mittaavaan koetukseen, jotka voivat olla hyvinkin vaarallisia. Kolmen koulun nuoret velhot ja noidat seuraavat huimaa turnausta omia suosikkejaan kannattaen.Ottelupäivien välissä koulunkäynti jatkuu: taikaolentojen hoidossa tutustutaan räiskeperäisiin sisuliskoihin ja haiskuihin, uusi pimeyden voimilta suojautumisen opettaja Alastor Villisilmä Vauhkomieli herättää pelkoa ja ihastusta ja Sibylla Punurmio ennustaa Harrylle synkkää kohtaloa. Yksi kouluvuoden hurjimmista koetuksista on seuralaisen pyytäminen joulutanssiaisiin. Harrysta tuntuu, että kikattaminen pitäisi kieltää laissa... ( )
  roojien | Dec 11, 2014 |
Took a little longer to get through than I was expecting, but once I got to the last quarter I read a lot quicker.

Like to look out for all the little hints of things to come, it seems like each time I read these books I notice more little nods of things that become bigger in the future.

Found myself looking at Snape differently at the end of this book. Going to face Voldemort is a really big deal and I think I appreciate how much bravery that takes now.

Feel like I pay more attention to the more background characters rather than just the main trio now. ( )
  ClicksClan | Dec 9, 2014 |
Review: The fourth of the series and reportedly the best. So much going on in this book. Harry is about 14 and finds himself participating in games meant for 17 y/o. Someone wants Harry dead. There is more magic and dangers. I enjoyed this but found myself struggling to pay attention. I think it was more a problem of life interfering than the book being dull. I think it also reflects the increase in activity in the book. The reader is still excellent.

First sentence: The villagers of Little Hangleton still called it 'the Riddle House', even though it had been many years since the Riddle family had lived there. ( )
  Kristelh | Dec 2, 2014 |
Long Live Harry, etc.
Love the books more than I do the films. ( )
  Urthwild | Nov 30, 2014 |
Long Live Harry, etc.
Love the books more than I do the films. ( )
  Urthwild | Nov 30, 2014 |
Showing 1-5 of 508 (next | show all)
The fourth book in the Harry Potter phenomenon, at 734 pages, is what you call a wallow—one that some will find wide-ranging, compellingly written, and absorbing; others, long, rambling, and tortuously fraught with adverbs.
 
The fantasy writer's job is to conduct the willing reader from mundanity to magic. This is a feat of which only a superior imagination is capable, and Rowling possesses such equipment.
 
As the midpoint in a projected seven-book series, "Goblet of Fire" is exactly the big, clever, vibrant, tremendously assured installment that gives shape and direction to the whole undertaking and still somehow preserves the material's enchanting innocence.
 

» Add other authors (33 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
J. K. Rowlingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dale, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fry, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
GrandPré, MaryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Greenfield, GilesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kibuishi, KazuCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Masini, BeatriceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riglietti, SerenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
To Peter Rowling,
in memory of Mr. Ridley
and to Susan Sladden,
who helped Harry
out of his cupboard.
First words
The villagers of Little Hangleton still called it 'the Riddle House', even though it had been many years since the Riddle family had lived there.
Quotations
"Kill the spare"
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language
Book description
In this book Harry conquers various tasks via the triwizard tournament, but is this tournament more than Harry can handle?
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439139597, Hardcover)

In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, J.K. Rowling offers up equal parts danger and delight--and any number of dragons, house-elves, and death-defying challenges. Now 14, her orphan hero has only two more weeks with his Muggle relatives before returning to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Yet one night a vision harrowing enough to make his lightning-bolt-shaped scar burn has Harry on edge and contacting his godfather-in-hiding, Sirius Black. Happily, the prospect of attending the season's premier sporting event, the Quidditch World Cup, is enough to make Harry momentarily forget that Lord Voldemort and his sinister familiars--the Death Eaters--are out for murder.

Readers, we will cast a giant invisibility cloak over any more plot and reveal only that You-Know-Who is very much after Harry and that this year there will be no Quidditch matches between Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Instead, Hogwarts will vie with two other magicians' schools, the stylish Beauxbatons and the icy Durmstrang, in a Triwizard Tournament. Those chosen to compete will undergo three supreme tests. Could Harry be one of the lucky contenders?

But Quidditch buffs need not go into mourning: we get our share of this great game at the World Cup. Attempting to go incognito as Muggles, 100,000 witches and wizards converge on a "nice deserted moor." As ever, Rowling magicks up the details that make her world so vivid, and so comic. Several spectators' tents, for instance, are entirely unquotidian. One is a minipalace, complete with live peacocks; another has three floors and multiple turrets. And the sports paraphernalia on offer includes rosettes "squealing the names of the players" as well as "tiny models of Firebolts that really flew, and collectible figures of famous players, which strolled across the palm of your hand, preening themselves." Needless to say, the two teams are decidedly different, down to their mascots. Bulgaria is supported by the beautiful veela, who instantly enchant everyone--including Ireland's supporters--over to their side. Until, that is, thousands of tiny cheerleaders engage in some pyrotechnics of their own: "The leprechauns had risen into the air again, and this time, they formed a giant hand, which was making a very rude sign indeed at the veela across the field."

Long before her fourth installment appeared, Rowling warned that it would be darker, and it's true that every exhilaration is equaled by a moment that has us fearing for Harry's life, the book's emotions running as deep as its dangers. Along the way, though, she conjures up such new characters as Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody, a Dark Wizard catcher who may or may not be getting paranoid in his old age, and Rita Skeeter, who beetles around Hogwarts in search of stories. (This Daily Prophet scoop artist has a Quick-Quotes Quill that turns even the most innocent assertion into tabloid innuendo.) And at her bedazzling close, Rowling leaves several plot strands open, awaiting book 5. This fan is ready to wager that the author herself is part veela--her pen her wand, her commitment to her world complete. (Ages 9 and older) --Kerry Fried

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:05 -0400)

(see all 7 descriptions)

Harry Potter, a fourth-year student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, longs to escape his hateful relatives, the Dursleys, and live as a normal fourteen-year-old wizard, but what Harry does not yet realize is that he is not a normal wizard, and in his case, different can be deadly.… (more)

(summary from another edition)

» see all 20 descriptions

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (4.35)
0.5 11
1 45
1.5 37
2 316
2.5 103
3 1883
3.5 475
4 5770
4.5 801
5 9355

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,430,054 books! | Top bar: Always visible