Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)…

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4) (original 2000; edition 2001)

by J.K. Rowling

72,4846602 (4.36)13 / 807
Member:rightantler
Title:Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Info:Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (2001), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 640 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Stewart's Read
Tags:Y01, fiction

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling (2000)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (TeamJacob101)
    TeamJacob101: I Couldn't put it down!
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: Santa Olivia is admittedly built for a more mature audience, but the themes, character types, and situations in the Harry Potter series and in Carey's work make me believe a reader who enjoys one will likely enjoy the other. Santa Olivia, though, is not a traditional fantasy, but more in the lines of speculative fiction, so that fantasy-only readers who enjoy Harry Potter for primarily the inclusion of magic may not enjoy Carey's work. I'm recommending it with this Harry Potter book in particular since, for me, this was the book when the series took a leap toward becoming more adult. Santa Olivia is also probably the beginning of a forthcoming series.… (more)
    Sasquatch Moon by R. Stone (Anonymous user)
    Dangerous Donkey (Adam Cranford Series) by Alaric Adair (markbiblos)
    markbiblos: A hero teenager doing crazy things under difficult conditions.

English (617)  Italian (7)  German (7)  Dutch (6)  French (6)  Finnish (4)  Spanish (3)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (2)  Swedish (2)  Arabic (2)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All (1)  All (661)
Two words: CONSTANT VIGILANCE!

Now that that is out of the way, this review won't remain completely spoiler free and I am a bit too lazy to format it to hide them so basically if you haven't read the book yet, stop reading this review.

As it was for the past three books, it is hard to read the book without thinking of the movie. Goblet of Fire is one of my favorite movies as it is the turning point in the acting of the three leads. The movie relied heavily on Daniel Radcliffe and I felt he stepped up. But this review is about the book (and what the movie left out).

This book is where SHIT GETS REAL. I remember the first time I read it and the feeling of shock I got towards the end. This book is the turning point where fans all over realized it was no longer a kids story. Yes kids read it and they should but Goblet of Fire is when everyone saw that the books would mature with the characters.

For once the book doesn't open with a brief overview of Harry's horrible home life. It is common it seems in kids books for the author's to recap what is known to continuous readers in the first chapters, rehashing things those that are in for the long haul should already know (I'm looking at you, Babysitter's Club!) but that wasn't featured here, at least not as much as usual. Honestly, if someone dives into Harry Potter starting with book 4, they deserve to be a little lost. The books starts with Harry having a pretty rough dream which ends up being a vision in a way of events happening miles away.

Soon he is back at school after a very eventful Quidditch World Cup. And soon finds himself entered into the Triwizard Tournament.

Now I know many fans of the book and movie HATE Dumbledores "DID YOU PUT YOUR NAME INTO THE GOBLET OF FIRE?!" and while it is opposite of the book and out of character, who knows why the director went in that direction. There are bigger issues I have with the movie. Cutting out Ludo Bagman for one, no Winky, Crouch's death, etc. I would have LOVED to have seen Bagman. I don't know who would play him but it would've been nice to see him. Also, Moody saying "CONSTANT VILIGANCE" was missed.

This is a HUGE book, and they can't put everything in the movie which is why they cut out SPEW, I'm assuming so there was no need for Winky but I don't understand why Bagman wasn't included. Anyway.

The death of Cedric Diggory. One thing that Rowling does is that she doesn't introduce a character in a book to kill them at the end. She popped Diggory in the last book, made him a name we remember, expanded him more in this book, made him a likable guy, then murdered him. It was hard, it was rough, it was unexpected. and it was what we as readers needed. We needed to know it was all going to go dark, it wasn't going to be an easy road for Harry, that people we liked we going to die.

Even after multiple rereadings, it is still hard to read Cedric dying, at least to me. A cold chill travels down my back. And then when Harry brings his body back, he is met with skepticism about Voldemort returning. Why would Harry lie about this? Why would he bring Cedric back? This is a heartbreaking scene and I feel Radcliffe does it justice.

Goblet of Fire is a great book and the true turning point of the Harry potter series. ( )
1 vote jnoble82 | Mar 20, 2017 |
It's such a satisfying feeling when all the clues that have been littered throughout the book come together and form a satisfying conclusion. The ending of this book was one of the best endings in the Harry Potter series so far and it again saddens me that the film had to cut so much of it out. ( )
  mcj545 | Mar 14, 2017 |
In my re reading journey, I recently completed Goblet of Fire. What a wonderful book. Hard to believe Harry is only 14 and has lived, and did live through horrible, horrible events that would have destroyed weaker hearts.

Years ago, a fellow teacher ask me if this book was too dark for middle school students (originally, these were children's books). My response focused on this being the middle of the series, like the middle of childhood. It is hard. As E.E. Cummings believed, "It takes great courage to grow up and become who you really are." ( )
  laura.w.douglas | Mar 9, 2017 |
Again, this book has already been widely reviewed. I remember it better than some of the others for two major wizarding institutions, the International Quidditch Cup and the Triwizarding Tournament. Those I like. Harry's very awkward adolescent crucshon Cho, however, I find embarrassing, especially when he neglects Ms. Patel, his official date. ( )
  antiquary | Feb 14, 2017 |
Great book but why do authors and editors think if you make a book longer you make it better? This one would have benefitted from some editing imo. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
The fantasy writer's job is to conduct the willing reader from mundanity to magic. This is a feat of which only a superior imagination is capable, and Rowling possesses such equipment.

There's also the introduction of Death Eaters, and the disturbing way in which Voldemort talks about killing. In the climax, when Harry, Cedric Diggory, Wormtail, and Voldemort are in the graveyard, Voldemort, still in his creepy foetus stage, tells Wormtail to "kill the spare," a disturbing way of showing how little Voldemort cares for human life. Rowling has done it again; she has made a story even better than the last.

Goblet of Fire, while not without its light and humorous moments, is plenty dark, specifically at the end, where Voldemort finally gets his body back and tries to kill Harry.

Prisoner of Azkaban was sort of dark, but still fairly light.

This is when the books start getting darker.

J. K. Rowlingprimary authorall editionscalculated
in memory of Mr. Ridley
and to Susan Sladden,
who helped Harry
out of his cupboard.
The villagers of Little Hangleton still called it 'the Riddle House', even though it had been many years since the Riddle family had lived there.
"Kill the spare"
In this book Harry conquers various tasks via the triwizard tournament, but is this tournament more than Harry can handle?

AR Level 6.8, 32 pts
Headmaster cancelled

the school sports program so that

four kids could hunt eggs.

(CathWhitney)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439139597, Hardcover)

In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, J.K. Rowling offers up equal parts danger and delight--and any number of dragons, house-elves, and death-defying challenges. Now 14, her orphan hero has only two more weeks with his Muggle relatives before returning to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Yet one night a vision harrowing enough to make his lightning-bolt-shaped scar burn has Harry on edge and contacting his godfather-in-hiding, Sirius Black. Happily, the prospect of attending the season's premier sporting event, the Quidditch World Cup, is enough to make Harry momentarily forget that Lord Voldemort and his sinister familiars--the Death Eaters--are out for murder.

Readers, we will cast a giant invisibility cloak over any more plot and reveal only that You-Know-Who is very much after Harry and that this year there will be no Quidditch matches between Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Instead, Hogwarts will vie with two other magicians' schools, the stylish Beauxbatons and the icy Durmstrang, in a Triwizard Tournament. Those chosen to compete will undergo three supreme tests. Could Harry be one of the lucky contenders?

But Quidditch buffs need not go into mourning: we get our share of this great game at the World Cup. Attempting to go incognito as Muggles, 100,000 witches and wizards converge on a "nice deserted moor." As ever, Rowling magicks up the details that make her world so vivid, and so comic. Several spectators' tents, for instance, are entirely unquotidian. One is a minipalace, complete with live peacocks; another has three floors and multiple turrets. And the sports paraphernalia on offer includes rosettes "squealing the names of the players" as well as "tiny models of Firebolts that really flew, and collectible figures of famous players, which strolled across the palm of your hand, preening themselves." Needless to say, the two teams are decidedly different, down to their mascots. Bulgaria is supported by the beautiful veela, who instantly enchant everyone--including Ireland's supporters--over to their side. Until, that is, thousands of tiny cheerleaders engage in some pyrotechnics of their own: "The leprechauns had risen into the air again, and this time, they formed a giant hand, which was making a very rude sign indeed at the veela across the field."

Long before her fourth installment appeared, Rowling warned that it would be darker, and it's true that every exhilaration is equaled by a moment that has us fearing for Harry's life, the book's emotions running as deep as its dangers. Along the way, though, she conjures up such new characters as Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody, a Dark Wizard catcher who may or may not be getting paranoid in his old age, and Rita Skeeter, who beetles around Hogwarts in search of stories. (This Daily Prophet scoop artist has a Quick-Quotes Quill that turns even the most innocent assertion into tabloid innuendo.) And at her bedazzling close, Rowling leaves several plot strands open, awaiting book 5. This fan is ready to wager that the author herself is part veela--her pen her wand, her commitment to her world complete. (Ages 9 and older) --Kerry Fried

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:29 -0400)

Fourteen-year-old Harry Potter joins the Weasleys at the Quidditch World Cup, then enters his fourth year at Hogwarts Academy where he is mysteriously entered in an unusual contest that challenges his wizarding skills, friendships and character, amid signs that an old enemy is growing stronger.… (more)

3 2064

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,186,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible