Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)…

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4) (original 2000; edition 2002)

by J. K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

66,3605405 (4.35)13 / 651
Member:emillizzle32
Title:Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Other authors:Mary GrandPré
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2002), Paperback, 752 pages

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling (2000)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (TeamJacob101)
    TeamJacob101: I Couldn't put it down!
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: Santa Olivia is admittedly built for a more mature audience, but the themes, character types, and situations in the Harry Potter series and in Carey's work make me believe a reader who enjoys one will likely enjoy the other. Santa Olivia, though, is not a traditional fantasy, but more in the lines of speculative fiction, so that fantasy-only readers who enjoy Harry Potter for primarily the inclusion of magic may not enjoy Carey's work. I'm recommending it with this Harry Potter book in particular since, for me, this was the book when the series took a leap toward becoming more adult. Santa Olivia is also probably the beginning of a forthcoming series.… (more)
    Dangerous Donkey by Alaric Adair (markbiblos)
    markbiblos: A hero teenager doing crazy things under difficult conditions.

English (500)  German (6)  Italian (6)  French (6)  Dutch (5)  Finnish (4)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (2)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (2)  Arabic (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All languages (541)
I think this is the book that takes the Harry Potter from children's lit into young adult. I think the plot, the characters, and the situations become darker, more sinister, and a little bit to frightening for a child to read on his/her own. I love this book though, it is my second favorite of the entire series. I love how the author effortlessly weaves storyline after storyline together to create a rich world full of so many different amazing things.

There isn't much more for me to say except I love this book and this series and anyone who has not read it should read it or be in danger of being labelled as a fascist (if you are a fascist, sorry to equate you with non-Harry Potter readers). ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
Very good read. I can see Rowling is hitting her stride in these later books. The characters are being fleshed out more fully. The plots are becoming more intricate. And there is definitely the feeling that she knows where she's going. I can see that she set up the conclusion to the series early on so there shouldn't be a lot of loose ends. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 20, 2014 |
Loses points because of the in-fighting between Ron and Harry (I dislike this sort of falling-out based on a mutual misunderstanding. I do realise it's a little more nuanced than that, but it just feels uncomfortable and makes me want to skip all of the bit where they're fighting) and all of the interminable Triwizard Cup stuff, because I really, really don't care.

Poor Cedric but. I don't think I'll ever get over his dad, that was so proud of his son. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
(5.9)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
This year at Hogwart's a special competition is being held. The participants have come from wizarding schools across the world and their names are chosen by a magical goblet of fire. Someone has put Harry's name in the cup and he is forced to join the competition with fellow Hogwart's student, Cedric Diggory. ( )
  Srwhite | Oct 2, 2014 |
The fourth book in the Harry Potter phenomenon, at 734 pages, is what you call a wallow—one that some will find wide-ranging, compellingly written, and absorbing; others, long, rambling, and tortuously fraught with adverbs.

The fantasy writer's job is to conduct the willing reader from mundanity to magic. This is a feat of which only a superior imagination is capable, and Rowling possesses such equipment.

As the midpoint in a projected seven-book series, "Goblet of Fire" is exactly the big, clever, vibrant, tremendously assured installment that gives shape and direction to the whole undertaking and still somehow preserves the material's enchanting innocence.

J. K. Rowlingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
in memory of Mr. Ridley
and to Susan Sladden,
who helped Harry
out of his cupboard.
The villagers of Little Hangleton still called it 'the Riddle House', even though it had been many years since the Riddle family had lived there.
"Kill the spare"
In this book Harry conquers various tasks via the triwizard tournament, but is this tournament more than Harry can handle?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439139597, Hardcover)

In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, J.K. Rowling offers up equal parts danger and delight--and any number of dragons, house-elves, and death-defying challenges. Now 14, her orphan hero has only two more weeks with his Muggle relatives before returning to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Yet one night a vision harrowing enough to make his lightning-bolt-shaped scar burn has Harry on edge and contacting his godfather-in-hiding, Sirius Black. Happily, the prospect of attending the season's premier sporting event, the Quidditch World Cup, is enough to make Harry momentarily forget that Lord Voldemort and his sinister familiars--the Death Eaters--are out for murder.

Readers, we will cast a giant invisibility cloak over any more plot and reveal only that You-Know-Who is very much after Harry and that this year there will be no Quidditch matches between Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Instead, Hogwarts will vie with two other magicians' schools, the stylish Beauxbatons and the icy Durmstrang, in a Triwizard Tournament. Those chosen to compete will undergo three supreme tests. Could Harry be one of the lucky contenders?

But Quidditch buffs need not go into mourning: we get our share of this great game at the World Cup. Attempting to go incognito as Muggles, 100,000 witches and wizards converge on a "nice deserted moor." As ever, Rowling magicks up the details that make her world so vivid, and so comic. Several spectators' tents, for instance, are entirely unquotidian. One is a minipalace, complete with live peacocks; another has three floors and multiple turrets. And the sports paraphernalia on offer includes rosettes "squealing the names of the players" as well as "tiny models of Firebolts that really flew, and collectible figures of famous players, which strolled across the palm of your hand, preening themselves." Needless to say, the two teams are decidedly different, down to their mascots. Bulgaria is supported by the beautiful veela, who instantly enchant everyone--including Ireland's supporters--over to their side. Until, that is, thousands of tiny cheerleaders engage in some pyrotechnics of their own: "The leprechauns had risen into the air again, and this time, they formed a giant hand, which was making a very rude sign indeed at the veela across the field."

Long before her fourth installment appeared, Rowling warned that it would be darker, and it's true that every exhilaration is equaled by a moment that has us fearing for Harry's life, the book's emotions running as deep as its dangers. Along the way, though, she conjures up such new characters as Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody, a Dark Wizard catcher who may or may not be getting paranoid in his old age, and Rita Skeeter, who beetles around Hogwarts in search of stories. (This Daily Prophet scoop artist has a Quick-Quotes Quill that turns even the most innocent assertion into tabloid innuendo.) And at her bedazzling close, Rowling leaves several plot strands open, awaiting book 5. This fan is ready to wager that the author herself is part veela--her pen her wand, her commitment to her world complete. (Ages 9 and older) --Kerry Fried

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:05 -0400)

Harry Potter, a fourth-year student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, longs to escape his hateful relatives, the Dursleys, and live as a normal fourteen-year-old wizard, but what Harry does not yet realize is that he is not a normal wizard, and in his case, different can be deadly.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,996,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible