Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)…

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4) (original 2000; edition 2002)

by J. K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

67,8275722 (4.35)13 / 691
Member:emillizzle32
Title:Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Other authors:Mary GrandPré
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2002), Paperback, 752 pages

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling (2000)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (TeamJacob101)
    TeamJacob101: I Couldn't put it down!
    The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book 1) by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: Santa Olivia is admittedly built for a more mature audience, but the themes, character types, and situations in the Harry Potter series and in Carey's work make me believe a reader who enjoys one will likely enjoy the other. Santa Olivia, though, is not a traditional fantasy, but more in the lines of speculative fiction, so that fantasy-only readers who enjoy Harry Potter for primarily the inclusion of magic may not enjoy Carey's work. I'm recommending it with this Harry Potter book in particular since, for me, this was the book when the series took a leap toward becoming more adult. Santa Olivia is also probably the beginning of a forthcoming series.… (more)
    Sasquatch Moon by R. Stone (Anonymous user)
    Dangerous Donkey by Alaric Adair (markbiblos)
    markbiblos: A hero teenager doing crazy things under difficult conditions.

English (534)  German (6)  Italian (6)  Dutch (5)  French (5)  Finnish (4)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  Arabic (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All languages (573)
This is a re-read. Even though this is probably my least favorite of the series, I still got so engrossed that I felt like I had to give it four stars. There were a few things that I had forgotten, so at times the book seemed new to me. But I still feel that the character development and plot were not as engaging as in the other books in the Harry Potter series. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
We officially have a Harry Potter madness in our house. Can't think about much else. One day, you would have found me and my son sitting on the couch, side-by-side each with our own copy of the book, reading feverishly, gasping out loud, stopping each other to discuss for just a minute, and then us at 10:30 pm on a school night going, "Oh my god! We have to eat! What TIME is it...ugh! But I'm almost done! Me too! But we HAVE to eat and sleep!"

Tonight, I've sworn off beginning the next because I know the damage it can cause to a work week. Here I've been working on my school work, my son has finished his, but he's already 1/4 of the way through Order of the Phoenix and I know that I'll be up late trying to catch up to his pace so that we can discuss over breakfast.... We both lament, when there's a moment to talk about anything besides Harry Potter, that we can't just freeze time, just for about a week....

engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Goblet of Fire is one of my favourite books in the series. I guess I love not only the action that we get to see, but also the relationships that are really starting to develop. J.K. Rowling will forever be the writer that changed my life, when it comes to reading. I was ALWAYS an avid reader. But Harry Potter was the first 'real' book I read. In my mind at least. They made me who I am today. ( )
  momma182 | Jun 23, 2015 |
This was such a fast read (I read it in about a week) that it didn't feel like it was such a huge book! It was so entertaining and wonderful that I just flew right through it.
There was once again plenty of mystery and intrigue that kept me on the edge of my seat until almost the last page.
Of course there was a healthy dose of teenage drama, since the characters are now 14. It got a little tiresome, but in the end the characters came out of it more or less unscathed. Although I see the potential for more angst just around the corner.
The big event towards the end of the book leads me to believe that stuff is about to go down, big time, in the series. And I can't wait! ( )
  DanielleMD | Jun 20, 2015 |
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, by J.K. Rowling, is a fantastic novel starring the famous Harry Potter. Harry Potter, a boy of 14, returns once again to Hogwarts, a School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. He finds out that there is The Tri-Wizard Tournament being hold a Hogwarts. The three European magic schools (Hogwarts, Durmstrang, and Beauxbatons) each have a competitor to enter three dangerous tasks. The champions are chosen, but the unexpected happens: Harry's name comes up and he is forced to compete with the other three. He successfully completes the first two tasks, but they are close calls. On the third task, Harry and Cedric Diggory (the other Hogwarts champion) tie, but both are unintentionally transported to a graveyard. Cedric is killed by one of Voldemort's (the antagonist) supporters. Then, using Harry's blood, Voldemort retunes to his full-fledged body (instead of being just a soul). Harry barley escapes Voldemort's grasp again in the end.

Harry Potter will ALWAYS be my favorite. Surprising and suspenseful, the Goblet of Fire is my favorite book in the series. It is true that this is the book where the first person dies and the movies turn from PG to PG-13. However, it still keeps you reading past when you should go to bed! My brother is reading them with me and my Mom, and he is in third grade. If you love fiction and fantasy, this book is for you. J.K. Rowling keeps you awake at every page turn. This fun, easy read is enjoyable for the whole family! ( )
  MeganS.B3 | May 28, 2015 |
The fourth book in the Harry Potter phenomenon, at 734 pages, is what you call a wallow—one that some will find wide-ranging, compellingly written, and absorbing; others, long, rambling, and tortuously fraught with adverbs.

The fantasy writer's job is to conduct the willing reader from mundanity to magic. This is a feat of which only a superior imagination is capable, and Rowling possesses such equipment.

As the midpoint in a projected seven-book series, "Goblet of Fire" is exactly the big, clever, vibrant, tremendously assured installment that gives shape and direction to the whole undertaking and still somehow preserves the material's enchanting innocence.

Tras otro abominable verano con los Dursley, Harry se dispone a iniciar el cuarto curso en Hogwarts, la famosa escuela de magia y hechicería. A sus catorce años, a Harry le gustaría ser un joven mago como los demás y dedicarse a aprender nuevos sortilegios, encontrarse con sus amigos Ron y Hermione y asistir con ellos a los Mundiales de quidditch. Sin embargo, al llegar al colegio le espera una gran sorpresa que lo obligará a enfrentarse a los desafíos más temibles de toda su vida. Si logra superarlos, habrá demostrado que ya no es un niño y que está preparado para vivir las nuevas y emocionantes experiencias que el futuro le depara.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

in memory of Mr. Ridley
and to Susan Sladden,
who helped Harry
out of his cupboard.
The villagers of Little Hangleton still called it 'the Riddle House', even though it had been many years since the Riddle family had lived there.
"Kill the spare"
In this book Harry conquers various tasks via the triwizard tournament, but is this tournament more than Harry can handle?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439139597, Hardcover)

In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, J.K. Rowling offers up equal parts danger and delight--and any number of dragons, house-elves, and death-defying challenges. Now 14, her orphan hero has only two more weeks with his Muggle relatives before returning to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Yet one night a vision harrowing enough to make his lightning-bolt-shaped scar burn has Harry on edge and contacting his godfather-in-hiding, Sirius Black. Happily, the prospect of attending the season's premier sporting event, the Quidditch World Cup, is enough to make Harry momentarily forget that Lord Voldemort and his sinister familiars--the Death Eaters--are out for murder.

Readers, we will cast a giant invisibility cloak over any more plot and reveal only that You-Know-Who is very much after Harry and that this year there will be no Quidditch matches between Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Instead, Hogwarts will vie with two other magicians' schools, the stylish Beauxbatons and the icy Durmstrang, in a Triwizard Tournament. Those chosen to compete will undergo three supreme tests. Could Harry be one of the lucky contenders?

But Quidditch buffs need not go into mourning: we get our share of this great game at the World Cup. Attempting to go incognito as Muggles, 100,000 witches and wizards converge on a "nice deserted moor." As ever, Rowling magicks up the details that make her world so vivid, and so comic. Several spectators' tents, for instance, are entirely unquotidian. One is a minipalace, complete with live peacocks; another has three floors and multiple turrets. And the sports paraphernalia on offer includes rosettes "squealing the names of the players" as well as "tiny models of Firebolts that really flew, and collectible figures of famous players, which strolled across the palm of your hand, preening themselves." Needless to say, the two teams are decidedly different, down to their mascots. Bulgaria is supported by the beautiful veela, who instantly enchant everyone--including Ireland's supporters--over to their side. Until, that is, thousands of tiny cheerleaders engage in some pyrotechnics of their own: "The leprechauns had risen into the air again, and this time, they formed a giant hand, which was making a very rude sign indeed at the veela across the field."

Long before her fourth installment appeared, Rowling warned that it would be darker, and it's true that every exhilaration is equaled by a moment that has us fearing for Harry's life, the book's emotions running as deep as its dangers. Along the way, though, she conjures up such new characters as Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody, a Dark Wizard catcher who may or may not be getting paranoid in his old age, and Rita Skeeter, who beetles around Hogwarts in search of stories. (This Daily Prophet scoop artist has a Quick-Quotes Quill that turns even the most innocent assertion into tabloid innuendo.) And at her bedazzling close, Rowling leaves several plot strands open, awaiting book 5. This fan is ready to wager that the author herself is part veela--her pen her wand, her commitment to her world complete. (Ages 9 and older) --Kerry Fried

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:29 -0400)

Harry Potter, a fourth-year student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, longs to escape his hateful relatives, the Dursleys, and live as a normal fourteen-year-old wizard, but what Harry does not yet realize is that he is not a normal wizard, and in his case, different can be deadly.… (more)

3 1927

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,073,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible