Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)…

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4) (original 2000; edition 2002)

by J. K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

70,9806392 (4.35)13 / 764
Member:wtoomey
Title:Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Other authors:Mary GrandPré
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2002), Paperback, 752 pages
Rating:*****

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling (2000)

Recently added byZebAndBecca, MelHoward, lwhitesel, private library, mleivers, sarahdipitous, antdos, philosovashka, KenyaConnect
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (TeamJacob101)
    TeamJacob101: I Couldn't put it down!
    The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book 1) by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: Santa Olivia is admittedly built for a more mature audience, but the themes, character types, and situations in the Harry Potter series and in Carey's work make me believe a reader who enjoys one will likely enjoy the other. Santa Olivia, though, is not a traditional fantasy, but more in the lines of speculative fiction, so that fantasy-only readers who enjoy Harry Potter for primarily the inclusion of magic may not enjoy Carey's work. I'm recommending it with this Harry Potter book in particular since, for me, this was the book when the series took a leap toward becoming more adult. Santa Olivia is also probably the beginning of a forthcoming series.… (more)
    Sasquatch Moon by R. Stone (Anonymous user)
    Dangerous Donkey by Alaric Adair (markbiblos)
    markbiblos: A hero teenager doing crazy things under difficult conditions.

English (597)  German (6)  French (6)  Dutch (6)  Italian (6)  Finnish (4)  Spanish (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (2)  Arabic (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (639)
This book has my second favorite scene in it, going through the last phase of the Triwizard Tournament. I was sad that they removed so much of it from the movie, as I think it is one of the best parts of the book. ( )
  MinDea | Aug 25, 2016 |
Loses points because of the in-fighting between Ron and Harry (I dislike this sort of falling-out based on a mutual misunderstanding. I do realise it's a little more nuanced than that, but it just feels uncomfortable and makes me want to skip all of the bit where they're fighting) and all of the interminable Triwizard Cup stuff, because I really, really don't care.

Poor Cedric but. I don't think I'll ever get over his dad, that was so proud of his son. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
Giving this book 5 stars upon my re-reading. I still don't think it's the strongest of the books, but there is so much that happens that I forgot about (especially due to the movie clouding my memory). Man, what a pivotal read. ( )
  GoldenHoldenCervone | Aug 4, 2016 |
I think this is the funnest Harry Potter book. Even with the tragic end to the Triwizard Tournament, and the difficulties Harry faces, this is the most entertaining of the series.

Fred and George Weasley are terrific. I wish the early scene of Dudley and the Ton-Tongue Toffee had been included in the film, because it's absolutely hysterical.

In the Goblet of Fire we have the Quidditch World Cup, the Death-Eaters, the Triwizard Tournament, port keys and more Polyjuice Potion shenanigans. We learn about house elves and Hermione's quest to liberate them all. The Yule Ball is delightful as we see the boys struggle to ask girls to the dance. And we see Ron and Hermione dancing around the issues of attraction, when he fails to properly ask her to the dance and she, instead, goes with Viktor Krum.

The story really begins to come together. The themes are more complex and, in many ways, more adult-like. Harry and the others are forced to grow up a little bit. Harry faces some serious trials as a reluctant Triwizard Champion. Ron struggles with jealousy and always being the best friend while Harry gets the fame and glory. Fame and glory he doesn't want. One of their own will die and Voldemort will return.

And, when Harry gives his Triwizard winnings to Fred and George at the end, you know that hijinks and mayhem will follow.
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
The fourth book in the Harry Potter phenomenon, at 734 pages, is what you call a wallow—one that some will find wide-ranging, compellingly written, and absorbing; others, long, rambling, and tortuously fraught with adverbs.

The fantasy writer's job is to conduct the willing reader from mundanity to magic. This is a feat of which only a superior imagination is capable, and Rowling possesses such equipment.

As the midpoint in a projected seven-book series, "Goblet of Fire" is exactly the big, clever, vibrant, tremendously assured installment that gives shape and direction to the whole undertaking and still somehow preserves the material's enchanting innocence.

Tras otro abominable verano con los Dursley, Harry se dispone a iniciar el cuarto curso en Hogwarts, la famosa escuela de magia y hechicería. A sus catorce años, a Harry le gustaría ser un joven mago como los demás y dedicarse a aprender nuevos sortilegios, encontrarse con sus amigos Ron y Hermione y asistir con ellos a los Mundiales de quidditch. Sin embargo, al llegar al colegio le espera una gran sorpresa que lo obligará a enfrentarse a los desafíos más temibles de toda su vida. Si logra superarlos, habrá demostrado que ya no es un niño y que está preparado para vivir las nuevas y emocionantes experiencias que el futuro le depara.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

in memory of Mr. Ridley
and to Susan Sladden,
who helped Harry
out of his cupboard.
The villagers of Little Hangleton still called it 'the Riddle House', even though it had been many years since the Riddle family had lived there.
"Kill the spare"

In this book Harry conquers various tasks via the triwizard tournament, but is this tournament more than Harry can handle?
Headmaster cancelled

the school sports program so that

four kids could hunt eggs.

(CathWhitney)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439139597, Hardcover)

In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, J.K. Rowling offers up equal parts danger and delight--and any number of dragons, house-elves, and death-defying challenges. Now 14, her orphan hero has only two more weeks with his Muggle relatives before returning to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Yet one night a vision harrowing enough to make his lightning-bolt-shaped scar burn has Harry on edge and contacting his godfather-in-hiding, Sirius Black. Happily, the prospect of attending the season's premier sporting event, the Quidditch World Cup, is enough to make Harry momentarily forget that Lord Voldemort and his sinister familiars--the Death Eaters--are out for murder.

Readers, we will cast a giant invisibility cloak over any more plot and reveal only that You-Know-Who is very much after Harry and that this year there will be no Quidditch matches between Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Instead, Hogwarts will vie with two other magicians' schools, the stylish Beauxbatons and the icy Durmstrang, in a Triwizard Tournament. Those chosen to compete will undergo three supreme tests. Could Harry be one of the lucky contenders?

But Quidditch buffs need not go into mourning: we get our share of this great game at the World Cup. Attempting to go incognito as Muggles, 100,000 witches and wizards converge on a "nice deserted moor." As ever, Rowling magicks up the details that make her world so vivid, and so comic. Several spectators' tents, for instance, are entirely unquotidian. One is a minipalace, complete with live peacocks; another has three floors and multiple turrets. And the sports paraphernalia on offer includes rosettes "squealing the names of the players" as well as "tiny models of Firebolts that really flew, and collectible figures of famous players, which strolled across the palm of your hand, preening themselves." Needless to say, the two teams are decidedly different, down to their mascots. Bulgaria is supported by the beautiful veela, who instantly enchant everyone--including Ireland's supporters--over to their side. Until, that is, thousands of tiny cheerleaders engage in some pyrotechnics of their own: "The leprechauns had risen into the air again, and this time, they formed a giant hand, which was making a very rude sign indeed at the veela across the field."

Long before her fourth installment appeared, Rowling warned that it would be darker, and it's true that every exhilaration is equaled by a moment that has us fearing for Harry's life, the book's emotions running as deep as its dangers. Along the way, though, she conjures up such new characters as Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody, a Dark Wizard catcher who may or may not be getting paranoid in his old age, and Rita Skeeter, who beetles around Hogwarts in search of stories. (This Daily Prophet scoop artist has a Quick-Quotes Quill that turns even the most innocent assertion into tabloid innuendo.) And at her bedazzling close, Rowling leaves several plot strands open, awaiting book 5. This fan is ready to wager that the author herself is part veela--her pen her wand, her commitment to her world complete. (Ages 9 and older) --Kerry Fried

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:29 -0400)

Fourteen-year-old Harry Potter joins the Weasleys at the Quidditch World Cup, then enters his fourth year at Hogwarts Academy where he is mysteriously entered in an unusual contest that challenges his wizarding skills, friendships and character, amid signs that an old enemy is growing stronger.… (more)

3 2031

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,454,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible