Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)…

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4) (original 2000; edition 2002)

by J. K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

67,3745712 (4.35)13 / 683
Member:wtoomey
Title:Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Other authors:Mary GrandPré
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2002), Paperback, 752 pages
Rating:*****

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling (2000)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (TeamJacob101)
    TeamJacob101: I Couldn't put it down!
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: Santa Olivia is admittedly built for a more mature audience, but the themes, character types, and situations in the Harry Potter series and in Carey's work make me believe a reader who enjoys one will likely enjoy the other. Santa Olivia, though, is not a traditional fantasy, but more in the lines of speculative fiction, so that fantasy-only readers who enjoy Harry Potter for primarily the inclusion of magic may not enjoy Carey's work. I'm recommending it with this Harry Potter book in particular since, for me, this was the book when the series took a leap toward becoming more adult. Santa Olivia is also probably the beginning of a forthcoming series.… (more)
    Sasquatch Moon by R. Stone (Anonymous user)
    Dangerous Donkey by Alaric Adair (markbiblos)
    markbiblos: A hero teenager doing crazy things under difficult conditions.

English (530)  German (6)  Italian (6)  French (6)  Dutch (5)  Finnish (4)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (2)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (2)  Arabic (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All languages (571)
Along with Book 6, this is one of my favorites of the series. Darker and more complicated, our protagonists are forced to deal with an evil that isn't stupid, disorganized, or easily beaten, but one that is much greater than themselves. ( )
  bdtrump | May 9, 2015 |
I liked this one, some parts were superb, some, like the ball could have been cut and the more important info woven into the main story more. Also, the long protracted ending was unnecessary. But a good read nonetheless. ( )
  MathewBridle | May 4, 2015 |
A lot darker and more dramatic, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire reads easier and faster than the previous parts. It is, as always, concentrating on a lot of small things and it feels like nothing really happens until almost the very end when the plot is finally starting to get more intense. I loved that this year they did a tournament instead of the usual games, though I don't see why they couldn't do both. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
I love all the books, and I love movies too (although I wish they hadn't changed some things). I reread all the book last year, and I loved it just as much as reading it for the first time. It is more than a story for children, it is a story for the ages. ( )
  mlg11031112 | Apr 10, 2015 |

I finally started these books after all these years and I love them! I'm listening to them on audio and the narrator is excellent! I plan on listening to them all rather than reign them, although we have the books. I am a convert to audio books. ( )
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |
The fourth book in the Harry Potter phenomenon, at 734 pages, is what you call a wallow—one that some will find wide-ranging, compellingly written, and absorbing; others, long, rambling, and tortuously fraught with adverbs.

The fantasy writer's job is to conduct the willing reader from mundanity to magic. This is a feat of which only a superior imagination is capable, and Rowling possesses such equipment.

As the midpoint in a projected seven-book series, "Goblet of Fire" is exactly the big, clever, vibrant, tremendously assured installment that gives shape and direction to the whole undertaking and still somehow preserves the material's enchanting innocence.

J. K. Rowlingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
in memory of Mr. Ridley
and to Susan Sladden,
who helped Harry
out of his cupboard.
The villagers of Little Hangleton still called it 'the Riddle House', even though it had been many years since the Riddle family had lived there.
"Kill the spare"
In this book Harry conquers various tasks via the triwizard tournament, but is this tournament more than Harry can handle?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439139597, Hardcover)

In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, J.K. Rowling offers up equal parts danger and delight--and any number of dragons, house-elves, and death-defying challenges. Now 14, her orphan hero has only two more weeks with his Muggle relatives before returning to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Yet one night a vision harrowing enough to make his lightning-bolt-shaped scar burn has Harry on edge and contacting his godfather-in-hiding, Sirius Black. Happily, the prospect of attending the season's premier sporting event, the Quidditch World Cup, is enough to make Harry momentarily forget that Lord Voldemort and his sinister familiars--the Death Eaters--are out for murder.

Readers, we will cast a giant invisibility cloak over any more plot and reveal only that You-Know-Who is very much after Harry and that this year there will be no Quidditch matches between Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Instead, Hogwarts will vie with two other magicians' schools, the stylish Beauxbatons and the icy Durmstrang, in a Triwizard Tournament. Those chosen to compete will undergo three supreme tests. Could Harry be one of the lucky contenders?

But Quidditch buffs need not go into mourning: we get our share of this great game at the World Cup. Attempting to go incognito as Muggles, 100,000 witches and wizards converge on a "nice deserted moor." As ever, Rowling magicks up the details that make her world so vivid, and so comic. Several spectators' tents, for instance, are entirely unquotidian. One is a minipalace, complete with live peacocks; another has three floors and multiple turrets. And the sports paraphernalia on offer includes rosettes "squealing the names of the players" as well as "tiny models of Firebolts that really flew, and collectible figures of famous players, which strolled across the palm of your hand, preening themselves." Needless to say, the two teams are decidedly different, down to their mascots. Bulgaria is supported by the beautiful veela, who instantly enchant everyone--including Ireland's supporters--over to their side. Until, that is, thousands of tiny cheerleaders engage in some pyrotechnics of their own: "The leprechauns had risen into the air again, and this time, they formed a giant hand, which was making a very rude sign indeed at the veela across the field."

Long before her fourth installment appeared, Rowling warned that it would be darker, and it's true that every exhilaration is equaled by a moment that has us fearing for Harry's life, the book's emotions running as deep as its dangers. Along the way, though, she conjures up such new characters as Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody, a Dark Wizard catcher who may or may not be getting paranoid in his old age, and Rita Skeeter, who beetles around Hogwarts in search of stories. (This Daily Prophet scoop artist has a Quick-Quotes Quill that turns even the most innocent assertion into tabloid innuendo.) And at her bedazzling close, Rowling leaves several plot strands open, awaiting book 5. This fan is ready to wager that the author herself is part veela--her pen her wand, her commitment to her world complete. (Ages 9 and older) --Kerry Fried

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:05 -0400)

Harry Potter, a fourth-year student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, longs to escape his hateful relatives, the Dursleys, and live as a normal fourteen-year-old wizard, but what Harry does not yet realize is that he is not a normal wizard, and in his case, different can be deadly.… (more)

3 1914

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,179,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible