Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)…

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4) (original 2000; edition 2002)

by J. K. Rowling

77,4517096 (4.36)13 / 868
Member:avstone
Title:Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2002), Paperback, 752 pages

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling (Author) (2000)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (TeamJacob101)
    TeamJacob101: I Couldn't put it down!
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: Santa Olivia is admittedly built for a more mature audience, but the themes, character types, and situations in the Harry Potter series and in Carey's work make me believe a reader who enjoys one will likely enjoy the other. Santa Olivia, though, is not a traditional fantasy, but more in the lines of speculative fiction, so that fantasy-only readers who enjoy Harry Potter for primarily the inclusion of magic may not enjoy Carey's work. I'm recommending it with this Harry Potter book in particular since, for me, this was the book when the series took a leap toward becoming more adult. Santa Olivia is also probably the beginning of a forthcoming series.… (more)
    Sasquatch Moon by R. Stone (Anonymous user)
    Dangerous Donkey (Adam Cranford Series) by Alaric Adair (markbiblos)
    markbiblos: A hero teenager doing crazy things under difficult conditions.
Elevenses (159)
Magic! (10)

English (663)  Italian (8)  German (8)  Dutch (6)  French (6)  Finnish (4)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (3)  Arabic (2)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All languages (710)
I loved this book! Out of the first four books, this one is the best and the three that preceded this one were excellent! It's nice to have seen the movies BEFORE reading. As you read, you can see Alan Rickman as Snape and hear his voice. Every nuance, every inflection, every little move... and it makes reading these books all the better. It's always so difficult to see a movie after reading a great book because we're consistently let down due to dramatic deviations. In this installment, there were more deviations in the movie from the book so after reading The Goblet of Fire, I came away feeling like I don't want to leave Hogwarts! Can't hardly wait to start reading The Order of the Phoenix tomorrow. ( )
  emeraldgirl68 | Sep 30, 2018 |
Re-read for the first time in over a decade - I forgot how much of an ending it has! But first:
This is the first of the series that doesn't start with Harry at Privet Drive; instead, we see Voldemort and Wormtail and an unfortunate Muggle. Harry wakes from a dream with his scar hurting. He soon leaves Privet Drive with the Weasleys, who have scored tickets to the Quidditch World Cup. They travel there by Portkey and it's an exciting match, but marred afterward by Death Eaters marching through the crowd and someone sending up the Dark Mark.

At Hogwarts, it is announced that the Triwizard Tournament will be taking place this year, with one champion each from Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, and Durmstrang. The age limit to enter is 17, but someone sneaks Harry's name into the cup and he is chosen as the fourth champion, making him very unpopular (and rather nervous). He is helped throughout year by Ron and Hermione, of course, but also by the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor, Mad-Eye Moody, and by the house-elf Dobby, who is now working in the Hogwarts kitchens. (Hermione has taken up the house-elf cause and founded the Society for the Protection of Elvish Welfare.) The first challenge is dragons; the second, rescuing an important person from under the lake, where they are guarded by mermaids; the third and final, navigating through a hedge maze to reach the Triwizard Cup.

But the cup is a portkey, and as Harry and Cedric grasp it together, they are transported to Tom Riddle's grave, where Wormtail and Voldemort are waiting for them. They kill Cedric and tie Harry up while Voldemort calls his Death Eaters to him and then duels Harry, but their wand cores create an unusual effect: Harry's wand forces Voldemort's to reveal the spells it has used, and echoes of the people he's killed emerge. Cedric, Bertha Jorkins, and Harry's parents protect him while he races for Cedric's body and the cup, which will transport him back to Hogwarts.

But the night isn't over; Harry tells Dumbledore that Voldemort is back, and Moody drags Harry off to his office - where he reveals that he isn't Moody at all, but Barty Crouch, Jr., who is supposed to have died in Azkaban years ago. Dumbledore and McGonagall arrive in time to rescue Harry, and Harry gets to tell the entire story - but the Minister of Magic Cornelius Fudge refuses to believe that Voldemort is back. The end-of-term feast is a somber affair.

One bright note: on the train home, Hermione reveals that she's caught the awful reporter Rita Skeeter; she's an unregistered Animagus.
  JennyArch | Sep 19, 2018 |
A stronger Voldemort is preparing to kill the now 14-year-old Harry. The Quidditch World Cup (too much time spent on this for me), Dark Mark, Death Eaters, Mad-Eye Moody, Dumbledore's Pensieve--on and on--the Triwizard Tournament and the tricky Goblet of Fire.

I was told this is the best book in the series--don't know about that (in the course of the terribly long explications of the various villains' magical machinations, I found I'd lost interest). Prodigiously imaginative, as always, and the characters, especially the unassuming Harry, have great appeal. ( )
  beaujoe | Sep 14, 2018 |
When I first read this series this was my least favorite of them all. As I reread though as an adult I got to really enjoy and appreciate this book. It shows the wizarding world in a whole new light. There are other schools, other students, so much going on! I love how we see more diversity in the wizard world. Definitely had to up my star rating to 5 on this one :) ( )
  nicolemeier111 | Aug 29, 2018 |
I wish I could have reviewed these books when I first read them because I'm sure I would have so much more to say, but I remember this one being one of my favorites in the series. ( )
  jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |
Tras otro abominable verano con los Dursley, Harry se dispone a iniciar el cuarto curso en Hogwarts, la famosa escuela de magia y hechicería. A sus catorce años, a Harry le gustaría ser un joven mago como los demás y dedicarse a aprender nuevos sortilegios, encontrarse con sus amigos Ron y Hermione y asistir con ellos a los Mundiales de quidditch. Sin embargo, al llegar al colegio le espera una gran sorpresa que lo obligará a enfrentarse a los desafíos más temibles de toda su vida. Si logra superarlos, habrá demostrado que ya no es un niño y que está preparado para vivir las nuevas y emocionantes experiencias que el futuro le depara.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

in memory of Mr. Ridley
and to Susan Sladden,
who helped Harry
out of his cupboard.
The villagers of Little Hangleton still called it 'the Riddle House', even though it had been many years since the Riddle family had lived there.
"Kill the spare"
In this book Harry conquers various tasks via the triwizard tournament, but is this tournament more than Harry can handle?
Headmaster cancelled

the school sports program so that

four kids could hunt eggs.

(CathWhitney)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439139597, Hardcover)

In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, J.K. Rowling offers up equal parts danger and delight--and any number of dragons, house-elves, and death-defying challenges. Now 14, her orphan hero has only two more weeks with his Muggle relatives before returning to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Yet one night a vision harrowing enough to make his lightning-bolt-shaped scar burn has Harry on edge and contacting his godfather-in-hiding, Sirius Black. Happily, the prospect of attending the season's premier sporting event, the Quidditch World Cup, is enough to make Harry momentarily forget that Lord Voldemort and his sinister familiars--the Death Eaters--are out for murder.

Readers, we will cast a giant invisibility cloak over any more plot and reveal only that You-Know-Who is very much after Harry and that this year there will be no Quidditch matches between Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Instead, Hogwarts will vie with two other magicians' schools, the stylish Beauxbatons and the icy Durmstrang, in a Triwizard Tournament. Those chosen to compete will undergo three supreme tests. Could Harry be one of the lucky contenders?

But Quidditch buffs need not go into mourning: we get our share of this great game at the World Cup. Attempting to go incognito as Muggles, 100,000 witches and wizards converge on a "nice deserted moor." As ever, Rowling magicks up the details that make her world so vivid, and so comic. Several spectators' tents, for instance, are entirely unquotidian. One is a minipalace, complete with live peacocks; another has three floors and multiple turrets. And the sports paraphernalia on offer includes rosettes "squealing the names of the players" as well as "tiny models of Firebolts that really flew, and collectible figures of famous players, which strolled across the palm of your hand, preening themselves." Needless to say, the two teams are decidedly different, down to their mascots. Bulgaria is supported by the beautiful veela, who instantly enchant everyone--including Ireland's supporters--over to their side. Until, that is, thousands of tiny cheerleaders engage in some pyrotechnics of their own: "The leprechauns had risen into the air again, and this time, they formed a giant hand, which was making a very rude sign indeed at the veela across the field."

Long before her fourth installment appeared, Rowling warned that it would be darker, and it's true that every exhilaration is equaled by a moment that has us fearing for Harry's life, the book's emotions running as deep as its dangers. Along the way, though, she conjures up such new characters as Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody, a Dark Wizard catcher who may or may not be getting paranoid in his old age, and Rita Skeeter, who beetles around Hogwarts in search of stories. (This Daily Prophet scoop artist has a Quick-Quotes Quill that turns even the most innocent assertion into tabloid innuendo.) And at her bedazzling close, Rowling leaves several plot strands open, awaiting book 5. This fan is ready to wager that the author herself is part veela--her pen her wand, her commitment to her world complete. (Ages 9 and older) --Kerry Fried

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:29 -0400)

Fourteen-year-old Harry Potter joins the Weasleys at the Quidditch World Cup, then enters his fourth year at Hogwarts Academy where he is mysteriously entered in an unusual contest that challenges his wizarding skills, friendships and character, amid signs that an old enemy is growing stronger.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,648,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible