The Retribution by Val McDermid

The Retribution (2011)

by Val McDermid

Retribution. Val McDermid. 2011. This is the seventh Tony Hill/Carol Jordan book. I think I have read three of them and I want to read the others. Jacko a vicious serial killer of teenage girls has escaped from prison and is determined to destroy whatever would hurt the people he blames for his imprisonment. Carol is the first victim and she blames Tony because he didn’t figure out that Jacko would do. While the team searches for Jacko Carol must deal with her grief and anger and Tony must face the fact that he may lose Carol. I read this on Kindle and was not keeping up with how long the book was so I was truly surprised and not very ( )
  judithrs | Jan 19, 2015 |
Love all of Val McDermid's books. Love the character of Tony Hill although not so keen on Carol Jordan. ( )
  scot2 | Jan 2, 2015 |
The Retribution is a suspenseful, gripping thriller. The serial killer Jacko Vance was one scary villain. His ruthlessness, his methodical approach to his vengeance, and how well he knew those he sought to take vengeance on came together to create a truly scary killer.

However, there were a lot of characters minor characters I found easily blended together. Or rather, they didn't distinguish themselves from each other much. They were generally one of the crime investigation team members. Occasionally, the author would try to hint who the killer was after by describing them or where he was, but I couldn't tell by the description who they were talking about. I'm not sure if this was because it took me a while to read (only because of time constraints and not because of the book) or because of a lack of connection with the characters.

The other thing that bothered me was the tendency of the author to head-hop. Sometimes it would only happen at the very end of the scene. Other times, the narration would slip into another character's head midway through, then return to the original character's point of view. Head-hopping never fails to be annoying and confusing.

With those two problems, this potential four-star story dropped down to a three-star. And yet, it left me wanting to know more about the main characters. And if the author can create such a suspenseful story and gripping villain, I'd read others in this series. ( )
  monica67 | Aug 19, 2014 |
Have you ever found yourself reading a book that you thought was only "OK" just so you could the resolution and then been so disappointed in the ending it soured the whole experience? This book is one of those experiences. Between some of the completely forgettable secondary characters, over reactionary hostility of one the primary ones, poorly written villain (making a return engagement to the series, no less), and a horribly underwritten ending, I can not recommend this book. It reads like in the last quarter of the book even the author got tired of the story and just decided to wrap it up. It's that flat. As a newcomer to the series, I can only hope the prior entries were better. ( )
  zumanity | Apr 30, 2013 |
Came to this after having read two or three in the series and been not so impressed by the last I'd read (not necessarily in sequence which may not help). I galloped through this and enjoyed the ride. ( )
  Roobee1 | Apr 25, 2013 |
Nemesis is lame; but she is of colossal stature, like the gods, and sometimes, while her sword is not yet unsheathed, she stretches out her huge left arm and grasps her victim. The mighty hand is invisible, but the victim totters under the dire clutch.

George Eliot Scenes of Clerical Life
For Mr David: for reminding me how much fun this is, for shaking up my ideas and for showing faith.
Escapology was like magic.

Jacko Vance is an ex-celebrity and sociopath whose brilliance and utter lack of remorse have never left Tony's mind in the ten years since his imprisonment. Now Jacko has escaped from prison, and he is focused on wreaking revenge on Tony and Carol for his years spent in prison.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,480,574 books! | Top bar: Always visible