Shattered dreams by Ellie James

Shattered dreams (edition 2011)

by Ellie James (Author)

7520156,384 (3.11)1 / 4
Member:wyvernfriend
Title:Shattered dreams
Authors:Ellie James (Author)
Info:London : Quercus, 2011.
Collections:Library Loans, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, library, read, 2013, ll, february, paranormal, ya, new orleans, psychic, school

Shattered Dreams: A Midnight Dragonfly Novel by Ellie James

Good start to a Young Adult series.

A story about an average teen who turns out to not be so average. Trinity moves back to Louisiana to live with her aunt. As time goes by she finds out her bad dreams are really premonition dreams. Trinity's friends and family help her to figure out her past and in trying to find their missing friend.

I hope this will continue on into a series. I can see several of my teen patrons reading this author. ( )
  eswaim | Feb 17, 2014 |
This book has an interesting concept with the psychic setting being in New Orleans, and it seems there is a meaning in that choice. This story was a mystery in a lot of aspects with the storyline, the characters and the symbolism. Maybe I am looking too closely at the symbols but I noticed that the James went to great detail to mention the cross that Chase was wearing around his neck, the dragonfly that Trinity wore, her name is a symbol. The thing I would have liked to know is what it all means to the story, if nothing at all. I must admit this story left me wanting for more as much was left unsaid, and then I found out it was going to be a new series, which I was excited to learn.
What we do know is Trinity has psychic abilities that allow her to see and feel what will and is happening to someone. What we don't know is who are all the people that surround her, such as Chase the boy she likes; he is the typical jock crush, possessive, brooding and strange but there is something dark about him that doesn't feel right. Dylan, the son of a friend of her mothers', is mysterious and intriguing. It's the beginning of a love triangle but not quite yet, I will root for Dylan if it happens. All the characters have potential to be great and it would be nice for a some more development to make them richer.
Lastly, the plot was full of twists, turns and dead ends. As soon as I had an idea of who took Jessica, something changed and I was back to guessing. Even the end of the book made me wonder, when we do find out who took her(Jessica) everything happened so quickly.There was a lot said that left more questions. Hopefully, James will address some of the mysteries within her mystery in the next installment, which I look forward to reading.Overall, I liked this book and it was an interesting read for the beginning of a series and I would suggest this to anyone that likes paranormal mysteries. ( )
  lilcrickit | May 9, 2013 |
The story starts in an abandoned house in New Orleans where some teenagers are exploring this house that's rumoured to be haunted, being teenagers, going too far. Trinity Monsour is a new student and still finding her way, when the evening leaves her locked in a room, while visions of murder intrude she has to try to get out and to try to work out who is responsible.

Then Jessica, one of the prettiest meanest girls in the school and the ex of the boy Trinity is currently exploring a reationship with, goes missing and Trinity starts to have visions, visions that scare her. Her grandmother always warned her not to tell, but if she can save her?

It's interesting but the characters didn't really come to life for me. I didn't really get a feeling of different personalities coming through and it just didn't flow for me. I may read more by this author but I'm in no rush to follow up. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Feb 25, 2013 |
Reviewed by: Crystal B
Book provided by: author
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

Natalie feels guilty for experiences doubts that a lot of first time mothers face. After she loses the baby she throws herself into her work. She is trying to cope the best way she knows how. Reed is busy trying to secure a new contract as his way of dealing with the loss. He starts seeing things that are just so unbelievable he doesn’t know whether or not to believe it. These two are such a such a wonderful couple that need to come together to over come their grief. If only there wasn’t an evil force trying to drive them apart.

This was a really great story on what a couple goes through after losing a baby. There was the sadness of Natalie and Reed. There is drama of an unexpected evil force, and the family support trying to help this sweet couple. All in all is was a great short story.

Shattered Dreams is the second story in the The Bradford Sisters Trilogy. I would love to read the other two stories and get the rest of the family story. I really did enjoy this short story and would love to read more by Anna James. ( )
  RtB | Jan 14, 2013 |
Okay, I guess I should let the world know one fact about me first...I have a huge thing for bad boys. Now, for fact number two, my love of bad boys is eclipsed only by my soft spot for the mysterious good guy who had no idea he is good. This story had both and I was in delicious heaven I tell!

The story was pure brilliant, the setting brilliant (made me text my sister and ask her to move to NOLA with me), Pitre (bad boy I am sure I wasn't supposed to puddle over) and Dylan (can I just say O my frakkin Gawd, right now) those 2 lovely boys made my heart all a flutter. Those were the good points that made me race to read this story at a break neck pace and read much too late into the night. Trinity, our heroine, was interesting enough and she had some awesome traits I like in my YA girl. Angst, the angst, I love the angst! She also had some inner turmoil going on that made her hop off the pages but boy was that chic so flip floppy, I was often annoyed and Chase is so bland and wishy washy I can't figure what anyone would see in him. I think it was because the story started at a good point but their connection was already established and they had already started falling for each other so I didn't get to nosey in on it.

This book left me anxious waiting for the next installment and praying for more Pitre and Yes, oh yes...more Dylan. ( )
  CatholicKittie | Oct 8, 2012 |

After her grandmother's death, sixteen-year-old orphan Trinity Monsour moves to New Orleans to live with her aunt, hoping to lead a normal life, but her frightening visions not only prevent her from feeling normal, they make her a suspect in the disappearance of a classmate.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Shattered Dreams by Ellie James was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,246,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible