The Probability of Miracles by Wendy Wunder

The Probability of Miracles (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Wendy Wunder

Info:Razorbill (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:audio book, YA

The Probability of Miracles by (2011)

I've wanted to read Probability of Miracles for quite some time now, and am pleased to finally get that chance. Ever since falling in love with Lurlene McDaniel's books when I was younger, I have been attracted to any stories with cancer or illnesses, so of course the synopsis caught my attention.
This is more than a story about cancer though, it is a journey of family, accepting that sometimes life deals crappy hands and deciding how to live the life that you have. It is also a different kind of protag. Cam is a Samoan, which is a culture that I don't know much about, and glad to read about. She grew up at Disney, the Polynesian resort, and as a Disney lover myself and member of vacation club, I loved the backdrop of the setting before they head off to Maine looking for their miracle. Cam is also fiery and sarcastic, and I love her brand of humor. She is pessimistic but then learns to hope and wants to help her family who believes in miracles while she doesn't.
Her mom is a non-traditional but she is involved in Cam's life, and supports and loves her and Perry, Cam's little sister. I loved Cam and Perry's banter, light hearted for the most part but they have some real conversations.
As for Asher and the romance. I very much enjoyed it, and that it didn't revolve around her illness. He saw her whole person and they helped each other to live more than they thought they would or fuller than thought possible. There are some hot and also fade to black scenes.
The ending was fitting but sad. I wasn't completely satisfied right as I put it down, but looking back I think that the real miracle was the closeness she got with her family, the time that she wasn't thinking about dying and being sick and finding love with Asher.

Bottom Line: Sarcastic main character going through a hard time with her illness goes on a journey that brings her closer than ever to her family. ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Feb 11, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In some ways, I feel like I'm not an ideal person to write a review for this text. I tend to have a very negative reaction to bright pink books and books about teens with terminal illnesses. However, that said, I actually enjoyed this text more than I would have expected given the two strikes it already had against it and, while it isn't something I would read again, there is a certain segment of teens who will eat it up. In general, the writing was strong, though there were spots of cliche. I had the hardest time with the ending. While I think it reflected the narrator's state of mind fairly well, it still felt a little forced and too rosy for my tastes. I would recommend it to girls and readers who like a tear-jerker and don't have too strong an attachment to realism. ( )
  TeenCentral | Nov 9, 2013 |
I am going to have to create a shelf called "The Big C" for all the cancer-related YA lit I've been reading. Or I could expand and call it" Death and Dying" or something like that. Fun times. Review later. ( )
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |
I adored this! It left me speechless. There is a sadness throughout but it's not a book that leaves you feeling depressed. It was really beautiful.

Favourite quotes:

“If Cam finally learned one lesson before she died, it would be that being kind was sometimes more important than being right.”

“Kind of like people. We're too lazy to change, so we'll just keep doing what we're doing until it's too late.”

“. . . Mind if I take the flamingo?"
"It's $2.89."
"Whoa, Darren, you drive a hard bargain. How about I'm just going to take it?”
  nicola26 | Mar 30, 2013 |
Flavia Freitas
English Language Arts 9
Block: A
March 8, 2013

The Probability Of Miracles
The book is called The Probability Of Miracles by Wendy Wunder. Right from the start I knew that this book was going to be different than the other books that I was used to reading. At first glance through the the side description on the side cover of the book I discovered that the main character Cam Cooper had cancer. In my head I immediately thought that the book was going to be depressing, but that thought was diminished when I actually started reading the book. The wonderful Wendy Wunder takes you to the live of a 17 year old Cam Cooper and changes your views on probabilities and miracles. From Cam’s life story of when she was a little girl having to deal with cancer to the life changing trip to Promise, Maine, the author beautifully unfolds a story about hope, courage, and even miracles that might exist in this world if you believe in yourself. The book itself is both hilarious and heartwarming in a very captivating way that makes the readers not want to stop reading at all! At times this book made me want to cry, but just quickly made me want to smile my face off. Trust me readers when I say this, the only “negative” thing about this book is that it has to come to an ending eventually. I would honestly recommend this book to any teen and even adults because it’s just simply amazing from the start to the end. It’s both inspiring and informative. Perhaps it might teach you a valuable lesson of how sometimes good things can come out of bad things. ( )
  flavs14 | Mar 11, 2013 |
For J. Albert Wunder
When Campbell's father died, he left her $1,262.56 - as much as he'd been able to sock away during his twenty year gig as a fire dancer for the "Spirirt of Aloha" show as Disney's Polynesian Hotel.

Having spent several years in and out of hospitals for a life-threatening illness, pragmatic sixteen-year-old Cam is relocated by her miracle-seeking mother to a town in Maine known for its mystical healing qualities.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Probability of Miracles by was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,355,122 books! | Top bar: Always visible