Shift by Em Bailey

Shift (original 2011; edition 2013)

by Em Bailey

Member:terriko
Title:Shift
Authors:Em Bailey
Info:EgmontUSA (2013), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 320 pages

Shift by Em Bailey (2011)

I enjoyed this. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
Since her father's leaving and her suicide attempt, Olive keeps to herself at school, estranged from her former best friend Katie. Olive's closest version of a friend is Ami, and without giving any spoilers, Ami isn't what readers will expect her to be. When new girl Miranda shows up at school, Olive's outsider status gives her a unique perspective on Miranda's strange bearing that no one else seems to notice. A suspenseful book about high school social dynamics writ large that teens will devour for recreational summer reading. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
This is a creepy, psychological thriller dealing with dangerous friendships. Olive used to be the most popular girl at school until her parents' separation and her own suicide attempt. Now she is considered a freak. Flawed and still struggling with her mental state, Olive is an unreliable narrator and she leaves the reader wondering if she is revealing everything about her past. Despite this, she is trying hard to stay stable but at the same time seems lost, confused and uncertain, and I was immediately drawn to her as a protagonist. Her friendship with Ami is lovely and the budding romance between her and Lachlan sweet.

This book reminds me a little of "Liar" by Justine Larbalestier although I think it is a more believable read. An enthralling debut by the author. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
So the title Shift can give you a clue here as to what paranormal element this creepy YA thriller is going to have going for it. But you will be surprised by how that is used. I haven't seen it done like this before, so kudos for that. While I was impressed with the ideas behind it the overall message of Shift didn't click with me probably because of what they were. I really didn't even get a clue about these things from the description. Coupled with was some of Olive's behavior that just did not jive with me at all, I was left with an overall "meh" feeling by the end. Shift is a book I think my newly adult younger sister would enjoy but I don't know if I'd recommend it to adult readers who like young adult fiction. ( )
  Pabkins | May 2, 2014 |
This one's worth reading, but explaining why would spoil the twist of it all. It skirts the edge of the paranormal and the standard teen drama with popular girls and mental health all in there... but it's how the mysterious pieces click together that makes it just a bit more. ( )
  terriko | Oct 17, 2013 |
For Jim and Julie
There were two things everyone knew about Miranda Vaile before she'd even started at our school.

Olive, having recently suffered mental problems, is unsure whether to trust her instincts when a new student, rumored to have killed her parents, develops a parasitic relationship with Olive's former best friend, Jubilee Park High School's "Queen Bee."… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,432,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible