Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock

Hemlock

by Kathleen Peacock

Series: Hemlock (1)

Oh dear, I said I was going to review this book, but then I forgot and now I don't remember what I had been going to say.
well, it was amazing. totally worth the read. it's on my to-buy list. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
***Possible spoilers, you’ve been warned***

The book starts off well and has a good pace and momentum throughout the book. The setting is also well done and small with a handful of characters so it’s simple and makes the reading enjoyable. I particularly liked the dream sequences Mac has with Amy. They can be cliche but it helps move the plot along and adds to the mood.

The werewolf aspect is interesting in the book. The notion of them having a ‘rehabilitation’ camp has a dystopia feel and there’s also Mac trying to solve Amy’s murder. So there’s different characteristics of the book to please YA readers which makes the experience reading this fun and enjoyable.

Of course you need a bit of romance in the story as well right? I’m all for Kyle and Mac being together. I found the love triangle aspect here irritating and forced on. Jason did not have sort of chemistry at all with Mac. It felt forced, awkward, and well...it just didn’t sit well with me (your boyfriend likes your best friend...just. No.) The love triangle just made things so cliche and sappy. The story didn’t need this. It was fine with just Kyle and Mac!

The mystery aspect was good throughout the novel. The crumb trail to figuring out who was behind the attacks wasn’t that obvious until the late third of the book and although it was already known who it was, the action sequence and climax of the story was pretty exciting and a lot of things are revealed. The revelations weren’t the type to blind side you, it fits well into the story and puts the pieces together. Which is fine. I think the action scenes are enough to keep readers interested.

I was happy with the way the book ended and I’ll be picking up the second one. Recommended for YA lovers who just want a good light read with some good action and a readable enjoyable plot. ( )
  sensitivemuse | Mar 18, 2018 |
Mackenzie's best friend, Amy, was murdered by a werewolf. Mac wants justice for this death, but she also doesn't approve of the Trackers, a group dedicated to hunting down werewolves and either killing them or locking them away. Amy's boyfriend, Jason, is making a lot of bad life choices since Amy's death, and is starting to think about joining the Trackers. Mac's other best friend, Kyle, is hiding something....BUT WHAT COULD IT POSSIBLY BE? Mac's guardian is her older sister, whose boyfriend, Ben, is also hiding something.....BUT WHAT COULD IT POSSIBLY BE?

Hemlock is a 200-page book smashed into 400 pages. It's way too long for the amount of action in it, and most of the revelations we can see coming a mile off. Most of the pages were filled with Mac trying to come to terms with her friend's death, her other friends' problems, all of the secrets she uncovers, and the political wrangling of the Trackers and other anti-werewolf people, and those who think werewolves are human beings with human rights. However, some of the mystery was very suspenseful and there were some twists I wasn't expecting. Mac's constant dreams about Amy were pretty strange, though. I don't know, some of the stuff that seemed random or really drawn out might come back into the trilogy later, but for this book it made me wonder what the point of it was.

Mac herself did very little in this book. I spent a lot of time expecting her to do something, anything, besides yell at everyone else to stop being stupid or scream in terror-both of these are valid reactions but that's all you can do, girl? Why are you even the protagonist? Jason and Kyle deserve a lot of yelling from her, but they were frustrating to read too because all their choice are bad ones, it seems like. Ben was honestly my favorite character in this book. And that...I don't think that should be, considering who he is and everything that happens in the book.

My favorite part of the book was the world, which is very dark (especially if you're a werewolf) and intense. It reminded me a lot of Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson novels, if the werewolves "coming out" had gone horribly.

I gave Hemlock three out of five stars. I don't think I'll be reading the rest of the trilogy, but I hope Mac builds on the development she got in this book and becomes a more active character.

PS-Don't get me started on the pop culture references in this book. Just don't.

(review also posted on my blog, bahnree.blogspot.com) ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |

PS-Don't get me started on the pop culture references in this book. Just don't.

(review also posted on my blog, bahnree.blogspot.com) ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
If you’re looking for a book that throws action at you right off the bat, sucking you helplessly in from the first page, it’s right here.

Sweet mercy alive, this book is inTENSE!

Mac seems to be pretty emotional throughout the book, but seeing as her best friend was killed by a werewolf and she’s losing everyone around her for various reasons, added to the fact that she almost dies about a BILLION times, I’ll let her emotional displays slide. Because how on earth is anyone expected to deal with the life she has?

Good gracious.

Not to mention all the mental blows from the abundance of secrets and betrayals that are hurled her way. Seriously, who knew one town could harbor so many secrets?! It’s like every character we meet throughout the book is hiding something, and it blew my mind every time one of their secrets is revealed.

There was a little while at the beginning that I was worried that the stereotypical love triangle was going to form and I was going to go lay back outside in the sun until it actually incinerated me (because that would be preferable). So I wasn’t too sold on Mac’s love interests because of that shaky, what-if-this-turns-into-one-of-those-triangle-debacles fears I harbored, and it looked like it might go that direction. But the love triangle vibes died down and I was able to believe her relationships more, and not feel like it was just a plot point.

*silent cheers*

So the story is this whole action-filled mystery-thriller where danger is thrust in your face at every turn and whenever I guessed at who I thought the murderer was–as I was constantly trying and failing to do–someone else would pop up on the radar as a possible suspect. Until that complete WHAT THE BLEEP moment where I realized who it was and I’m fairly positive my eyes almost snapped out of their sockets and my jaw flopped open limply.

I’m over-the-top impressed by this book’s ability to blindside me.

Over and over and over again.

Also, let’s talk about how creepy Amy-the-horribly-slaughtered-best-friend-who-haunts-Mac’s-every-dream is. Even I dreaded when Mac would fall asleep, because that meant another interaction with that overly eerie version of Amy.

C-R-E-E-P-Y.

And that ending? Creepiest moment of the entire story! GAH why do authors just leave you hanging by your fingertips, your grip slipping on loose gravel as you try to hold on until you get the closure only the following book will bring?!

So yeah. You want an acutely intense and paranormal read? Read Hemlock. I loved it, and I hope you do too!

4.5/5 STARS;) ( )
  danitronmc | May 21, 2014 |

High school senior Mackenzie attempts to solve the mystery of her best friend's murder in a town affected by the werewolf virus.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,863,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible