A Separate Peace by John Knowles

A Separate Peace (1959)

by John Knowles

3.5 stars. One of those I had to read for school which I actually enjoyed. ( )
  ScribblingSprite | Aug 10, 2015 |
I hated this book as a teen and would not recommend it for mandatory classroom reading (especially for girls). However, I read it again as an adult as part of an experiment/study on how people read, and I loved it the second time around. I found it to have significant literary merit after I had been trained to identify those things. But it doesn't matter enough to make it a class novel if it doesn't appeal to the 10-grade girl. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Excellent read! I know a lot of people hate this book, but personally, I thought it was great. I'll be readin it again soon, but for now, I other books on the to-read list. 4.5 stars. ( )
  KillerCorp | Jul 27, 2015 |
The characters were anything but likable and the story was stale. The only amusing part of the entire book was that we read it in tenth grade, so it was forty-five minutes of "They're gay, right?" everyday. No one in my class enjoyed it (the teacher even confessed afterwards that he hated it, but had to teach it because of curriculum). ( )
  benuathanasia | Jun 16, 2015 |
Emotional coming-of-age story. This book actually helped me understand teenage boys a bit better, even if it was set in World War II. ( )
  TrgLlyLibrarian | Feb 1, 2015 |
To Bea and Jim with gratitude and love
I went back to Devon School not long ago, and found it looking oddly newer than when I was a student there fifteen years before.

A Separate Peace is a story about two young boys who are close friends and go to Devon school together. Phineas, the more athletic of the two, and Gene, the more intellectually inclined seem to balance eachother out. The story is set in New England during WWII. It is full of insight, friendship, and also a tragedy. I really enjoyed this book because I found it to be one of the more interesting yet realistic stories that I have had to read for an English class. It was also fun because in my English class we had to make videos of different scenes of the book and I just had a lot of fun with it.

Set at a boys’ boarding school in New England during the early years of World War II, A Separate Peace is a harrowing and luminous parable of the dark side of adolescence. Gene is a lonely, introverted intellectual. Phineas is a handsome, taunting, daredevil athlete. What happens between the two friends one summer, like the war itself, banishes the innocence of these boys and their world.

A bestseller for more than thirty years, A Separate Peace is John Knowles’s crowning achievement and an undisputed American classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:46 -0400)

Set at a boys' boarding school in New England during the early years of World War II, A Separate Peace is a harrowing and luminous parable of the dark side of adolescence. Gene is a lonely, introverted intellectual. Phineas is a handsome, taunting, daredevil athlete. What happens between the two friends one summer, like the war itself, banishes the innocence of these boys and their world. A bestseller for more than thirty years, A Separate Peace is John Knowles's crowning achievement and an undisputed American classic.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,006,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible