A Separate Peace by John Knowles

A Separate Peace (1959)

by John Knowles

English (130)  French (1)  English (131)
Just finished this book.. for the 2nd time. Still gets 4 stars. I understood a lot more this time around. Excellent story. ( )
  homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |
Gene, a very intelligent teenager, has just enrolled into Devon, an all boy's school. He first meets his roommate Phineas, who is very athletic, but not very bright. Finny forms a natural bond with Gene, and they decide to form a special, with requires jumping from a big tree into a lake as part of the induction process. When Finny guilts Gene into going to the tree one night, Gene fails his math test the next day and becomes paranoid that Finny deliberately sabotaged him. One day at the lake, they are both standing on a tree limb, and Gene bounces the branch causing Finny to fall. He breaks his leg, and refused to believe that it was a deliberate act. When Gene tries to confess, Finny was still in utter denial. Until one day, when Brinker, a very smart student who dorms across the hall, calls both Gene and Finny in to find the truth. After a strong interrogation of Gene, Finny begins to realize that it might have actually been on purpose and storms out. However, because of his broke leg, he falls down the stairs while running out and breaks his good one. Gene visits him in the hospital and tells him that he really did bounce of the branch on propose. Finny dies that night, which the doctor said was unlikely for the simple and common procedure on his leg. He likely died of a broken heart.

This novel, taking place during the eve of World War II, is filled with many levels of love, jealousy, anger, and confusion. What makes this story so captivating is the amount John Knowles allows the reader to infer and fill in for him or herself. For example, I have a theory that Gene and Finny are actually gay. I believe that Knowles intended for Gene to have confusing feelings about his friend Finny, and channeled it into anger. His only response to these alien feelings was to channel them into violence. At the end of the book,when Finny finds out that Gene pushed knocked him off the tree on purpose, he count handle it. In the midst of war, Gene was Finny's one and only constant. He was his solid,stable rock who he could always rely on. When he finally found out that even he betrayed him, he simply couldn't take. When the last thing keeping him alive shattered, so did Finny's heart.

This heart-breaking, coming-of-age novel is a must read! It is somehow both uplifting and soul crushing at the same time. This novel had everything from jealousy, love, friendship, and war. It was also very easy to read, and didn't go into excessive detail. I would definitely recommend it to a friend! ( )
  mattflem15 | Nov 8, 2016 |
Separate Peace by John Knowles is a coming-of-age novel well-known in the USA which I discovered through The Mooksie and the Gripes. I wasn’t able to source a copy of the book, but the Casey-Cardinia Library had an audio-book so old that it was on cassette. There is now only one cassette player in our house, so I had to listened to it in my library while I read my email, attended to the bills and wrapped Xmas presents, which was probably not the best way to enjoy this remarkable book. I’ve now mooched a copy because I think it’s worthy of attentive reading.

BEWARE: SPOILERS

Set in a boys’ school called Devon just as WW2 is belatedly beginning for Americans, it’s the story of the intense relationship between two boys, Phineas (Finny) a gifted athlete and Gene, the most gifted scholar in the school. A natural leader, Finny forms a ‘Super Suicide Society of the Summer Session’ with an induction ritual that involves jumping from a huge tree into the Devon River. He has an insouciant air, a cheerful contempt for school rules, and a complete lack of interest in academic achievement. It is not until their activities impact on Gene’s school performance and he fails a maths test, that he begins to question their relationship and comes to believe that Finny’s demands are deliberately planned out of jealousy to sabotage his academic achievements. Quite why Gene’s impulse for revenge comes after this suspicion is revealed and Finny tells him that his carelessness about the need to study is simply because he thinks that study comes as naturally to Gene as sporting accomplishment comes naturally to him, is no doubt the subject of many a high school essay, but it has disastrous results Gene feels intense shame when he contrasts his suspicions with Finny’s frank and open-hearted character and tries to confess, but Finny won’t hear it of it.

To read the rest of my review please visit https://anzlitlovers.com/2008/12/06/a-separate-peace-by-john-knowles-narrated-by-matthew-modine/ ( )
  anzlitlovers | Aug 15, 2016 |
Slow and draggy account of two prep school boys growing up during the war years of the 40's.
This book was a bestseller and won many awards, but was not to my liking. ( )
  pgabj | Jul 25, 2016 |
Couldn't relate to any of the characters . . . ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
To Bea and Jim with gratitude and love
I went back to Devon School not long ago, and found it looking oddly newer than when I was a student there fifteen years before.

A Separate Peace is a story about two young boys who are close friends and go to Devon school together. Phineas, the more athletic of the two, and Gene, the more intellectually inclined seem to balance eachother out. The story is set in New England during WWII. It is full of insight, friendship, and also a tragedy. I really enjoyed this book because I found it to be one of the more interesting yet realistic stories that I have had to read for an English class. It was also fun because in my English class we had to make videos of different scenes of the book and I just had a lot of fun with it.

Set at a boys’ boarding school in New England during the early years of World War II, A Separate Peace is a harrowing and luminous parable of the dark side of adolescence. Gene is a lonely, introverted intellectual. Phineas is a handsome, taunting, daredevil athlete. What happens between the two friends one summer, like the war itself, banishes the innocence of these boys and their world.

A bestseller for more than thirty years, A Separate Peace is John Knowles’s crowning achievement and an undisputed American classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:46 -0400)

Set at a boys' boarding school in New England during the early years of World War II, A Separate Peace is a harrowing and luminous parable of the dark side of adolescence. Gene is a lonely, introverted intellectual. Phineas is a handsome, taunting, daredevil athlete. What happens between the two friends one summer, like the war itself, banishes the innocence of these boys and their world. A bestseller for more than thirty years, A Separate Peace is John Knowles's crowning achievement and an undisputed American classic.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,721,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible