A Separate Peace by John Knowles

A Separate Peace (1959)

by John Knowles

English (145)  French (1)  All languages (146)
slow read ( )
  cfulton20 | Dec 5, 2018 |
slow read ( )
  cfulton20 | Dec 5, 2018 |
This is a fairly dark coming-of-age tale. The narrator Gene spends much of the novel analyzing his rivalry with his friend Phineas, who he causes to fall out of a tree, causing his friend to loose the ability to compete in sports. In many ways, this novel reminds me of the boys I knew growing up, as Gene strives to out-do Phineas and ultimately pushes things past their limits. It is good to see both of the young men slowly come to realize the destructiveness of their paths, but, of course, it is practically too late by the time they reach this conclusion. I liked this book as a classic of the coming-of-age tale, but I don't know that I would ever come back to the story for a second read. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Oct 22, 2018 |
I read this book in the 10th grade, and I hated it. I decided to pick it up about 5 years later, and I liked it a lot more. I won't go so far as to say that I loved it, but it was a lot more bearable for me. It was fairly interesting until the last 10 pages or so. I had to force myself to get through those pages. ( )
  Borrows-N-Wants | Sep 22, 2018 |
I choose this audio book, mainly because, it is one of the books selected for The Great American Read PBS television series, one which I seem to have overlooked in the past.
Gene Forester, now a man in his thirties, returns to New Hampshire's Devon boy's boarding school and as he strolls thru campus recounts the idyllic summer term of 1942 when he and his classmates were innocent, when war was only a distant distraction but also when it becomes shattered like the bones in his good friends leg, caused solely by Gene in a moment of jealousy, and the resolve of another classmate who chooses to enlist. These are pivotal moments in the story which determines much of what lies ahead for the young men as they ready for graduation and their imminent involvement in World War II. A quiet and thoughtful book.
Spike McClure, does a wonderful job narrating the engaging and winsome prose of John Knowles. ( )
  Carmenere | Sep 5, 2018 |
To Bea and Jim with gratitude and love
I went back to Devon School not long ago, and found it looking oddly newer than when I was a student there fifteen years before.

A Separate Peace is a story about two young boys who are close friends and go to Devon school together. Phineas, the more athletic of the two, and Gene, the more intellectually inclined seem to balance eachother out. The story is set in New England during WWII. It is full of insight, friendship, and also a tragedy. I really enjoyed this book because I found it to be one of the more interesting yet realistic stories that I have had to read for an English class. It was also fun because in my English class we had to make videos of different scenes of the book and I just had a lot of fun with it.

Set at a boys’ boarding school in New England during the early years of World War II, A Separate Peace is a harrowing and luminous parable of the dark side of adolescence. Gene is a lonely, introverted intellectual. Phineas is a handsome, taunting, daredevil athlete. What happens between the two friends one summer, like the war itself, banishes the innocence of these boys and their world.

A bestseller for more than thirty years, A Separate Peace is John Knowles’s crowning achievement and an undisputed American classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:46 -0400)

Set at a boys' boarding school in New England during the early years of World War II, A Separate Peace is a harrowing and luminous parable of the dark side of adolescence. Gene is a lonely, introverted intellectual. Phineas is a handsome, taunting, daredevil athlete. What happens between the two friends one summer, like the war itself, banishes the innocence of these boys and their world. A bestseller for more than thirty years, A Separate Peace is John Knowles's crowning achievement and an undisputed American classic.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,823,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible