When She Woke by Hillary Jordan

When She Woke (2011)

by Hillary Jordan

Recently added byTaraWood, mlight620, eloquinn, rena75
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (Anonymous user, BeckyJG, bookworm12, sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: The Handmaid's Tale is the classic forerunner to dystopic fiction of sexist futures. When She Woke picks up the mantel with a more modern version of a misogynistic theocracy taking over government. Both show terrifying futures for the state of women in society.… (more)
    The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: WHEN SHE WOKE is a modern retelling of the classic.
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (ellbeecee)
    ellbeecee: Near-future dystopian fiction that makes you consider what's going on and the various paths that could be taken.
    Bumped by Megan McCafferty (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: It's YA, but the fertility issues are similar in both novels.
    Archetype by M. D. Waters (4leschats)
    4leschats: Similar themes of gender/reproduction in the future.
    The Misconceiver : A Novel by Lucy Ferriss (bhowell)
    Christian Nation: A Novel by Frederic C. Rich (4leschats)
    4leschats: Similar theme of a post-evangelical government takeover and its ramifications on civil liberties
    The Glass Arrow by Kristen Simmons (4leschats)
    4leschats: Similar themes of marked criminals/lower elements and female fertility

Overall, this book has a fascinating concept that I wish was done a bit more cleanly, with more world-building that would immerse me more in the story. However, if you're looking for a novel that will make you think about the way we treat criminals, and how our society criminalizes women for abortion, the core concept is interesting enough that it should drive you through the slow parts of the plot. Check out my full review at Between-the-Shelves! ( )
  Amanda7 | Oct 12, 2018 |
A near-future dystopian tale that is a bit of a modern-day retelling of The Scarlet Letter. Somewhat scary in the current political climate...

One of those audio books that made me take the long way home sometimes :)
  CYGeeker | Sep 6, 2018 |
An arresting premise for a book, and it held my interest until the end. But the writing is hit-and-miss--downright clunky in some spots--and some of Hannah's actions near the end made me so frustrated with her I almost stopped reading. Interesting, worth a look, but Jordan can't quite pull off what Atwood managed with A Handmaid's Tale. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
I have a thing for dystopian novels but this novel blew me away. The setting is at times so scarily realistic and and at other times so creatively futuristic. I love the parallelism to The Scarlet Letter (even though I was never a fan of this book when I read it in high school). I wish the ending had given the reader more but I'm thankful to walk away feeling invested enough in these characters to care what happens next. Now I want to read Jordan's debut novel Mudbound. ( )
  JamieBH | Apr 3, 2018 |
Best book of the year? It's early yet, but I'm pretty confident that is a YES. ( )
  capriciousreader | Mar 20, 2018 |
These early scenes, in which Hannah wakes up in the Chrome ward where she’s been sentenced to remain for 30 days, are promisingly inventive. ... Lacking the satiric sting of “1984″ and “A Clockwork Orange,” the pathos of “Super Sad True Love Story” and “The Book of Dave,” or the kind of newfangled vocabulary each of these works used to describe their worlds, Jordan’s dystopia turns out to depict a much smaller future than its bold opening chapters, with their clever homage to Hawthorne, had so valiantly attempted to guarantee.
added by lquilter | editSalon.com, Donna Rifkind (Oct 10, 2011)

Hillary Jordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Corrigan, HeatherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
“Truly, friend, and methinks it must gladden your heart, after your troubles and sojourn in the wilderness,” said the townsman, “to find yourself, at length, in a land where iniquity is searched out, and punished in the sight of rulers and people.”  —NATHANIEL HAWTHORNE, The Scarlet Letter
This book is for my father
When she woke, she was red.

Hannah Payne awakens to a nightmare. She is lying on a table in a bare room, covered only by a paper gown, with cameras broadcasting her every move to millions at home. She is now a convicted criminal, and her skin color has been genetically altered. Her crime, according to the State of Texas: the murder of her unborn child, whose father she refuses to name. Her color: red. The color of newly shed blood.

In Hannah's America, sometime in the future, faith, love, and sexuality have fallen prey to politics. Convicted felons are no longer imprisoned and rehabilitated, but "chromed", forced to appear in a new and sinister form of reality TV, and released back into the population. Stigmatized in a hostile world, they must survive the best they can.

Until her arrest, Hannah had devoted her life to church and family. In seeking a path to safety, she is forced to question the values she once held true and the righteousness of a country that politicizes the personal.

In the future, abortion has become a crime as a series of events threatens the existence of the United States. One woman wakes up to discover that her skin color has been changed to red as punishment for having the procedure done. Now she must embark on a dangerous journey in order to find refuge from a hostile and threatening society.… (more)

Hillary Jordan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,168,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible