When She Woke by Hillary Jordan

When She Woke (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Hillary Jordan

Member:jcmontgomery
Title:When She Woke
Authors:Hillary Jordan
Info:Algonquin Books (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 352 pages
Tags:Young Adult Fiction, Dystopian Fiction

When She Woke by Hillary Jordan (2011)

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (Anonymous user, BeckyJG, bookworm12, sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: The Handmaid's Tale is the classic forerunner to dystopic fiction of sexist futures. When She Woke picks up the mantel with a more modern version of a misogynistic theocracy taking over government. Both show terrifying futures for the state of women in society.… (more)
    The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: WHEN SHE WOKE is a modern retelling of the classic.
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (ellbeecee)
    ellbeecee: Near-future dystopian fiction that makes you consider what's going on and the various paths that could be taken.
    The Carhullan Army by Sarah Hall (sturlington)
    Bumped by Megan McCafferty (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: It's YA, but the fertility issues are similar in both novels.
    Archetype by M. D. Waters (4leschats)
    4leschats: Similar themes of gender/reproduction in the future.
    Into the Forest by Jean Hegland (sturlington)
    Christian Nation: A Novel by Frederic C. Rich (4leschats)
    4leschats: Similar theme of a post-evangelical government takeover and its ramifications on civil liberties
    The Misconceiver : A Novel by Lucy Ferriss (bhowell)

Reminded me in some ways of The Handmaids Tale. I would be interested in a sequel! ( )
  Verkruissen | Mar 25, 2015 |
What an amazingly unique story. I loved it. Many social issues are addressed and I found them interesting, although it invoked anger in me at how Hannah was treated! I hope our world will never come to this! Damn scary in my opinion. ( )
  LorettaR | Mar 5, 2015 |
I almost didn't read this book because of the many terrible reviews written about it, but I'm glad I did.

The story is fast paced, and interesting. The religion aspect of it put a lot of readers off but I found that it really added to the story and the dystopian world within it.

The idea of chroming was such an intriguing idea, and the journey Hannah took was inspiring and ultimately the right path for her.

A lot of complex issues are explored in this book like abortion and it does make you question the previous beliefs you had.

A good book that interested me but I wouldn't read it again. ( )
  KittyBimble | Feb 12, 2015 |
An interesting novel that had the tint of The Scarlet Letter. Actually, it has the concept tied in it a few times, but boy was this one winding story. This sort of book got me thinking, no doubt. It had me thinking of, wow, could this actually happen in the world? If so, I would definitely want to be out before then.

I personally enjoyed the story and the main character, whom was now considered a murderer after she had an abortion. Abortion is one sensitive topic, but the book was good no less with the struggles of the young woman, Hannah.

I thought this book would bring up debate. Who knows, maybe book club readers could debate about it and distribute their ideas and thoughts thoroughly since the theme and story hits so close to home with the United States and their concerns about abortion. ( )
  SirenRemi | Feb 1, 2015 |
I thought this was an excellent book, a good revision of "The Scarlet Letter." It was a spiritual journey as much as it was an adventure and a commentary on society (as the best sci-fi books are). ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
These early scenes, in which Hannah wakes up in the Chrome ward where she’s been sentenced to remain for 30 days, are promisingly inventive. ... Lacking the satiric sting of “1984″ and “A Clockwork Orange,” the pathos of “Super Sad True Love Story” and “The Book of Dave,” or the kind of newfangled vocabulary each of these works used to describe their worlds, Jordan’s dystopia turns out to depict a much smaller future than its bold opening chapters, with their clever homage to Hawthorne, had so valiantly attempted to guarantee.
added by lquilter | editSalon.com, Donna Rifkind (Oct 10, 2011)

Hillary Jordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Corrigan, HeatherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
“Truly, friend, and methinks it must gladden your heart, after your troubles and sojourn in the wilderness,” said the townsman, “to find yourself, at length, in a land where iniquity is searched out, and punished in the sight of rulers and people.”  —NATHANIEL HAWTHORNE, The Scarlet Letter
This book is for my father
When she woke, she was red.

Hannah Payne awakens to a nightmare. She is lying on a table in a bare room, covered only by a paper gown, with cameras broadcasting her every move to millions at home. She is now a convicted criminal, and her skin color has been genetically altered. Her crime, according to the State of Texas: the murder of her unborn child, whose father she refuses to name. Her color: red. The color of newly shed blood.

In Hannah's America, sometime in the future, faith, love, and sexuality have fallen prey to politics. Convicted felons are no longer imprisoned and rehabilitated, but "chromed", forced to appear in a new and sinister form of reality TV, and released back into the population. Stigmatized in a hostile world, they must survive the best they can.

Until her arrest, Hannah had devoted her life to church and family. In seeking a path to safety, she is forced to question the values she once held true and the righteousness of a country that politicizes the personal.

In the future, abortion has become a crime as a series of events threatens the existence of the United States. One woman wakes up to discover that her skin color has been changed to red as punishment for having the procedure done. Now she must embark on a dangerous journey in order to find refuge from a hostile and threatening society.… (more)

Hillary Jordan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,697,540 books! | Top bar: Always visible