The Litigators by John Grisham

The Litigators

by John Grisham

Recently added byprivate library, careshare, MrCurl, dsdumpling, MarionGug, kraye, mercydallas, Disliked, penrodbm, Akpaddle

English (67)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (70)
Typically GREAT! ( )
  nyiper | Jul 18, 2014 |
A nice blend...just enough ralism to make it credible, and a bit of humor thrown in to make it fun. I enjoyed this one! ( )
  JosephKing6602 | Jul 8, 2014 |
I enjoyed this novel, which has one of the author's David-against-Goliath plots. John Grisham is a good story teller, and has an easy, straight-forward writing style. There was a lot of humor in the book - it was more of a comedy than a drama - so it didn't bother me that the characters tended toward caricatures.

I had some trepidation at first, since the last novel of his that I read was also a David-against-Goliath where Goliath won at the end, and I wasn't sure I wanted another downer of an ending. I won't spoil it for those who haven't read it, but it was a good mix of winning and losing.

I could almost give it 4 stars, but it's not my favorite John Grisham, and something I'd classify as a light read. ( )
  REDonald | Apr 26, 2014 |
It is what it is. It's a John Grisham novel. If you have nothing else to read (or can't find anything not by Janet Evanovich, Norah Roberts, or Dean Koontz on audiobook at Cracker Barrel) then it will suffice. Otherwise, I'd recommend sticking with his older stuff.

However, I can see the movie cast with Steve Buschemi in the role of Wally - maybe it was the narration. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Found this to be too predictable with trite characters. ( )
  alhermans | Feb 15, 2014 |

Kuipers, Hugosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lamberti NicolettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Studio Jan de BoerCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Waltman, KjellTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The law firm of Finley & Figg referred to itself as a "boutique firm."

When David Zinc, a young but already burned-out attorney, joins Oscar Finley and Wally Figg at their law firm in a seedy bungalow office in southwest Chicago they all become involved with a class action suit against the drug manufacturer Varrick Labs.

The partners at Finley & Figg—all two of them—often refer to themselves as “a boutique law firm.” Boutique, as in chic, selective, and prosperous. They are, of course, none of these things. What they are is a two-bit operation always in search of their big break, ambulance chasers who’ve been in the trenches much too long making way too little. Their specialties, so to speak, are quickie divorces and DUIs, with the occasional jackpot of an actual car wreck thrown in. After twenty plus years together, Oscar Finley and Wally Figg bicker like an old married couple but somehow continue to scratch out a half-decent living from their seedy bungalow offices in southwest Chicago.

And then change comes their way. More accurately, it stumbles in. David Zinc, a young but already burned-out attorney, walks away from his fast-track career at a fancy downtown firm, goes on a serious bender, and finds himself literally at the doorstep of our boutique firm. Once David sobers up and comes to grips with the fact that he’s suddenly unemployed, any job—even one with Finley & Figg—looks okay to him.

With their new associate on board, F&F is ready to tackle a really big case, a case that could make the partners rich without requiring them to actually practice much law. An extremely popular drug, Krayoxx, the number one cholesterol reducer for the dangerously overweight, produced by Varrick Labs, a giant pharmaceutical company with annual sales of $25 billion, has recently come under fire after several patients taking it have suffered heart attacks. Wally smells money.

A little online research confirms Wally’s suspicions—a huge plaintiffs’ firm in Florida is putting together a class action suit against Varrick. All Finley & Figg has to do is find a handful of people who have had heart attacks while taking Krayoxx, convince them to become clients, join the class action, and ride along to fame and fortune. With any luck, they won’t even have to enter a courtroom!

It almost seems too good to be true.

And it is.

The Litigators
is a tremendously entertaining romp, filled with the kind of courtroom strategies, theatrics, and suspense that have made John Grisham America’s favorite storyteller.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:58 -0400)

Law firm partners Oscar Finley and Wally Figg see a chance for huge financial gain when they learn of a pending class action lawsuit against the makers of Krayoxx, a popular cholesterol-reducing drug suspected of causing heart attacks.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,150,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible