Then They Came for Me: A Family's Story…

Then They Came for Me: A Family's Story of Love, Captivity, and… (2011)

by Maziar Bahari, Maziar Bahari

“Mr. Bahari, let me advise you on this matter,” he said before exiting the room. “In our judicial system, it is the interrogator who makes the final decision. It is better if you cooperate with us, rather than rely on anyone outside of this room. You are here, and here, I am the only one who will make decisions about your life.” – Rosewater

This morning's headline about the beheading of a British aid worker by the terrorist group ISIS filled me with dread, but especially honed in on this feeling of helplessness. I experienced those same feelings while reading Then They Came for Me. Bahari, an Iranian-Canadian journalist, is incarcerated in the infamous Evin prison in Tehran while reporting on the 2009 presidential election. Subjected to physical and psychological abuse by Rosewater, a pseudonym Bahari uses for his interrgator and torturer, he never gives up hope that his family will continue to advocate for his release. In the meantime, he attempts to keep his wits about him by reflecting on the history of his country, its rocky politics, and even his own family's history of activism and captivity.

"I felt it was my job to provide accurate, well-reported information and, in doing so, help the world to have a better understanding of Iran and in my own way build a gradual path toward a more democratic future."

I think that's what I loved most about this book. Bahari is so candid and knowledgeable about Iran, its people, and its even more complicated political mechanism. I feel like a better informed reader, even when parts of this book and the atrocities Bahri witnessed were hard to read. I highly recommend this book, especially for fans of Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption and The Complete Persepolis. ( )
1 vote dreamydress48 | Sep 14, 2014 |
Memoir by award winning journalist and HR activist, Maziar Bahari detailing the time he was imprisoned and brually interrograted in Iran after he attempted to cover the 2009 presidential elections. Book focuses on his time in prison, accounts of his family members who have also confronted repressive regimes and also the future of the country. A personal and illumintating account of courage and survival through the experience of one family in the face of totalitarianism.
  AIUK_ResourceCentre | Oct 6, 2011 |

Maziar Bahariprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bahari, Maziarmain authorall editionsconfirmed

A riveting, heart-wrenching memoir of Maziar Bahari's brutal interrogation in Iran's most notorious prison, offering insight into Iran's turbulent recent past and uncertain future.

57 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,943,279 books! | Top bar: Always visible