44 by Jools Sinclair

44 (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Jools Sinclair (Author)

Series: 44 (1)

Seventeen-year-old Abby Craig died last year. But after breaking through the ice on a frozen mountain lake and having no vital signs for nearly an hour, she somehow came back to life. But she woke into a world she barely recognizes. She can't see colors, memories have been erased, and her friends all hate her. And then there's Jesse, who she loves, but who refuses to forgive her the one mistake she made long ago. Just when she thinks it can't get any worse, the visions begin. In them, she sees a faceless serial killer roaming the streets. While the police believe that there have been a lot of accidents in town lately, Abby knows differently. And she soon realizes that it's up to her to find him. But to stop him, she'll have to confront more than just the killer. She'll have to face something else that was lost in those dark waters. The truth. 44 is a thrilling paranormal romance mystery novel that keeps readers on the edge of their seats and glued to the very end. "A FANTASTIC novel "44" was just about impossible to put down once I started. From the very beginning, there was an air of mystery that kept me on the edge of my seat... I highly recommend this fantastic novel " "The Caffeinated Diva" "Everything from the setting, to the time frame, to the characters, was beautifully developed. This book is truly a gem and I highly recommend it. It literally took my breath away." "Avery's Book Review" "Sinclair sucked me in like a vacuum cleaner sucks up dirt. She brings mystery, love, and friendship to the book and weaves a lovely tale." "Just Another Book Addict" "IMPRESSIVE "44" is a wolf in sheep's clothing, and will take readers by storm. With so much information in such a small book it will impress readers to the detail and depth in so few pages. The conclusion will take your breath away. Don't miss you chance to check out this amazing story." "The Book Whisperer" "Fantastic, edge of your seat thriller. A MUST READ It twists you about and as soon as you think you have it all figured out, throws you for the final loop with an ending that will break the hardest heart." "Wormhole"… (more)
Member:sarah4uk
Title:44
Authors:Jools Sinclair (Author)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), 156 pages
Collections:calibre

44 by Jools Sinclair (2011)

I really liked 44. Jools Sinclair has a nice writing style. I am in my 40s, so I found the book a bit lacking in maturity. But since it is a YA novel, I will forgive that. It wasn't meant for my age group.

Abby has an accident, and lost some memories. The doctors tell her they will come back. She has lost her friends, her sister is worried about her, and her best friend, Jesse, seems to be keeping his distance. Abby notices things like Jesse cutting class, not caring about basketball anymore, and his father not talking to him.
One night Abby has a nightmare. She sees someone drowning. In the morning, the paper tells of a drowning. This happens a few times before Abby realizes she is connected to the murderer somehow.
There are a lot of twists to this story. All of them unexpected.

No matter what your age is, this is a fun and rewarding read. ( )
  pamkaye | Jul 7, 2016 |
Fabulous! Twist, turns, hills, valleys. Suspense, mystery all combined. You know not where the next page will lead you! Fast read! And for me, a truly unexpected ending. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jun 16, 2016 |
44 was a first rate disappointment. Not even up to standard as a YA novel. Plot was predictable, characters just above two dimensional, the spooky parts weren't very spooky, and the big surprise wasn't. One good thing - it was short. There's no one I'd recommend this book to. Much better stories out there to spend your precious time reading. ( )
  Zumbanista | Dec 17, 2014 |
Not much substance. Written by a teenager, perhaps? At least it only took a few hours to read. ( )
  SharronA | Aug 29, 2013 |
44 is an excellent paranormal suspense

The story takes place in Bend, OR. Abby Craig drowned when she fell through the ice on a lake. Brought back from death, she is not the same as she was before. Her memory is gone and she lives in a world without colour. Her former best friend now hates her and Abby has no idea why. Unexplained mysteries surround her. Her only anchors are her sister Kate, and her friend Jesse, who Abby realizes she loves but pushed away before her accident.

Then Abby begins to have nightmares about murders and mentions them to her sister. In her nightmares, she cannot see the face of the killer, but her visions match a series of local killings. Her psychiatrist and doctor try to push her to remember more about her past life and why she went out on the ice.

When Abby realizes her visions are not just dreams, and she sees the face of the killer, she knows she has to stop him. She will also have to face the truth about what happened.

44 is a well-written story and moves quickly. The characters are engaging. Abby's reaction to her brush with death is believable and poignant. People treat her differently and want to know what it is like being dead. Some of them treat her as a bit of a freak. She is no longer able to do some of the things she loved, like soccer and snowboarding, and she struggles to find her place in a world she barely knows.

The series of murders is chilling viewed through Abby's eyes. The villain, when revealed, is unexpected and the author does a great job of pointing the reader is the wrong direction.

The ending is heartbreaking.

44 is an excellent paranormal suspense ( )
  JFHilborne | May 16, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

44 (1)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,825,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible