Throne of the Crescent Moon (2012)

by Saladin Ahmed

Series: The Crescent Moon Kingdoms (1)

1,1138512,880 (3.64)1 / 88
Three superheroes in the Crescent Moon Kingdoms bound together by a series of magical murders must work together in a race against time to prevent a sorcerer's plot from destroying the world.
Recently added byprivate library, natabat, MenloPark, Ravenwood1984, Absolution13, jenbooks
    The Will of the Wanderer by Margaret Weis (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Arabian Nights-flavored fantasy, and both are enjoyable adventure stories.

Fun read, some pacing problems. But if you're into fairly light, sword-and-sorcery, classic-D&D-ish fantasy, and want a change of pace/setting, I'd recommend. Also would recommend if you like the "Night Watch" strain of Discworld books.

Chicago Nerds meeting notes up on Positron:
http://positronchicago.blogspot.com/2015/09/chicago-nerds-throne-of-crescent-moo... ( )
  jakecasella | Sep 21, 2020 |
GAWD I loved this book. So gorgeously written. GORGEOUS. ( )
  Jessica_Olin | Sep 17, 2020 |
This book was a ton of fun and a very fast read. A lot of my recent reading makes me think that we are in something of a renaissance of old-fashioned swords and spells fantasy - though the language and feel are certainly not antiquated or twee. The world-building was solid, and a nice change of pace from typically Eurocentric fare. The protagonists were as a group delightful.

I do think that Ahmed has room to grow as a writer; there were places where this felt rushed, and a few instances where the reader gets hit over the head with character development. The story is almost too straightforward, but that may be more a matter of taste, so I am leaving it at 4 stars.

Overall a solid debut, and I look forward to his next book. ( )
  RJ_Stevenson | Aug 19, 2020 |
Adoulla Mahkslood is getting too old for this shit. He’s been fighting ghuls and the men who create them for more than forty years now, and he’s tired of facing indescribable horrors and courting death. But while he may be a grumpy old fart who’s more than earned his retirement, he’s also a hero, and he can’t bring himself to leave anyone he could have saved to their cruel fate. So, with revolution building in the background and visions of city streets becoming rivers of blood haunting his dreams, he sets out to fight the most dangerous enemy he’s ever encountered. With him are his assistant Rashid, from a religious demon-slaying order, a retired pair of married magicians, and Zamia, a young woman who can transform into a lion and is seeking vengeance for her slaughtered family.
It was exciting, full of action, emotionally intense and had great characters. And I love the fact that the protagonist is fat and still badass, never seems insecure about it and doesn’t so much as think of losing weight. ( )
  elusiverica | Aug 15, 2020 |
Where to begin this review? A lot of people like to highlight that Saladin's book is a nice break from Euro-centric fantasy, but to be honest, when you're reading it, that's not what you're paying attention to. What you're watching is the story and characters. Does Saladin deliver?

Almost.

We're presented with good characters and a classic but compelling tension. Something dark and evil is rising up, we have ghuls of all variety, a were-lion, a fighting dervish, magic, the mystery of the desert - where do we go wrong?

For me, the problem was twofold. First, I don't think we had enough depth. The brush strokes are so broad that there's a lack of definition with some of the characters. This might just be an artifact of the fact that its the first book in the series, and Salidan plans on giving more depth later.

My other problem with the story is that the end seemed a bit rushed. After so much time spent circling around the central mystery, the actual confrontation was a bit short and lackluster. Two sides meet and one walks away, in about as many words as this review will end up being.

Don't get me wrong - I really enjoyed this book, and it was a fun read. My dissapointment is because I expected more from the book than it actually promised. I settled on four stars because I felt it was a 3 1/2 star book with a lot of potential to be more. ( )
  kodermike | Jul 31, 2020 |
Set in a quasi-Middle Eastern city and populated with the supernatural creatures of Arab folklore, this long-awaited debut by a finalist for the Nebula and Campbell awards brings The Arabian Nights to sensuous life. The maturity and wisdom of Ahmed's older protagonists are a delightful contrast to the brave impulsiveness of their younger companions. This trilogy launch will delight fantasy lovers who enjoy flawed but honorable protagonists and a touch of the exotic.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (Jan 1, 2012)

Saladin Ahmedprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chan, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

To my parents, Ismael Ahmed, and the late Mary O'Leary, who introduced me to the fantastic world of books; to my wife, Hayley Thompson, who supported me in countless ways as I wrote this one; and to my children, Malcolm and Naima, who make this broken world beautiful enough to keep living and writing in, this is for you.
Nine days. Beneficient God, I beg you, let this be the day I die!

From Saladin Ahmed, finalist for the Nebula and Campbell Awards, comes one of the year's most anticipated fantasy debuts, THRONE OF THE CRESCENT MOON, a fantasy adventure with all the magic of The Arabian Nights.

The Crescent Moon Kingdoms, land of djenn and ghuls, holy warriors and heretics, Khalifs and killers, is at the boiling point of a power struggle between the iron-fisted Khalif and the mysterious master thief known as the Falcon Prince. In the midst of this brewing rebellion a series of brutal supernatural murders strikes at the heart of the Kingdoms. It is up to a handful of heroes to learn the truth behind these killings:

Doctor Adoulla Makhslood, "The last real ghul hunter in the great city of Dhamsawaat," just wants a quiet cup of tea. Three score and more years old, he has grown weary of hunting monsters and saving lives, and is more than ready to retire from his dangerous and demanding vocation. But when an old flame's family is murdered, Adoulla is drawn back to the hunter's path.

Raseed bas Raseed, Adoulla's young assistant, a hidebound holy warrior whose prowess is matched only by his piety, is eager to deliver God's justice. But even as Raseed's sword is tested by ghuls and manjackals, his soul is tested when he and Adoulla cross paths with the tribeswoman Zamia.

Zamia Badawi, Protector of the Band, has been gifted with the near-mythical power of the Lion-Shape, but shunned by her people for daring to take up a man's title. She lives only to avenge her father's death. Until she learns that Adoulla and his allies also hunt her father's killer. Until she meets Raseed.

When they learn that the murders and the Falcon Prince's brewing revolution are connected, the companions must race against time--and struggle against their own misgivings--to save the life of a vicious despot. In so doing they discover a plot for the Throne of the Crescent Moon that threatens to turn Dhamsawaat, and the world itself, into a blood-soaked ruin.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,786,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible