Throne of The Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed

Throne of The Crescent Moon (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Saladin Ahmed, Phil Gigante (Reader)

5304119,020 (3.55)1 / 71
Member:raekevins
Title:Throne of The Crescent Moon
Authors:Saladin Ahmed
Other authors:Phil Gigante (Reader)
Info:Brilliance Audio on MP3-CD (2012), Edition: MP3 Una, MP3 CD
Rating:***

Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed (2012)

The Will of the Wanderer by Margaret Weis (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Arabian Nights-flavored fantasy, and both are enjoyable adventure stories.

This is really an excellent book. I have been intrigued by Arab fiction since I discovered Naghib Mahfouz' Children of the Alley and I found the setting and the phrasing of the dialog to be enthralling. Though far from the main thrust of the work, I kept finding myself enthralled by the God-tinged fatalism of the way the characters talk. "If God wills it" and its variants punctuate the speech of the characters and that highlights a humility and an awareness of their fate being in the hands of an ineffable force. One last comment on the humility that accompanies this kind of fatalism: none of the characters surrendered their will to this inexorable fate, they still strove and struggled and fought for life. The pervasive American Evangelical Optimism that surrounds me denies this and that denial rings false. We seem to believe that *WE* control everything and thus everyone's fate is deserved. It is an atmosphere that is a rejection of both compassion and humility. I'm afraid I am unable to be religious at this point of my life, but I'd prefer a capricious/ineffable deity to one who insists that the status quo was what the omnipotent intended from the moment of creation.

(Personal aside over, now to the book!)

The narrative here is, by some measures, standard and straight-forward: a diverse set of unlikely friends band together to fight against a dauntingly powerful enemy who threatens their city and their way of life.

Like Scheherazade, Ahmed shows us here that it is the telling, more than the tale that keeps us wanting more. The Doctor is wonderfully introspective and his worries and thoughts about himself and his apprentice provide a very rich look into the wise-but-jaded old master and the full-of-potential young idealist.

At first blush, All of his characters can be fit comfortably into existing tropes, but the way Ahmed puts them together makes these trope come alive, rather than succumb to cliche. Each character is conflicted in interesting ways, and they each deal with their internal conflict well. Nothing comes down to a simple black/white distinction and Mr. Ahmed gives us all a gift by treating these internal conflicts about how to best live our lives and make choices with respect. It is in how his characters deal with their conflicts and their choices that they are revealed to us and their beauty shown. All too many genre authors make the familiar mistake of reducing conflicts down to their resolution and leaving us with the false impression that the answers are more important than the questions. Ahmed avoids this and shows us richer and more human characters that reveal more about life and humanity than many others who fit into the same tropes. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
I was sadly disappointed in this book. It's been on my shelf awhile, and I figured, given the accolades it's received, it would be an interesting, perhaps unusual fantasy romp.

This novel had potential. The plot is fine. Good guys, bad guys, guys somewhere in between. The characters are very interesting. There was a nice age range (young and untried to aged and tried too much), a healthy gender balance that didn't resort to the women standing around and looking pretty while they got saved. Refreshing fantasy fare. The story has undead, evil overlords, dark magic, and a city with potential. Should all be great, right?

It should! Yet somehow this novel fell flat for me. There was lots of sitting around. Walking from one end of the city to another. Sprawling narratives that didn't do much to ratchet up the tension of the story. Evil creature aiming to take over the city? I should be aching to turn the next page! The religious references that characters insisted on uttering every other breath were also.... more irritating than illuminating. Things just felt too glossy.

Unfortunately, I was just aching to finish so I could move on to a novel that was more... successful. So while Throne of the Crescent Moon isn't the worst book out there, it's not in the running for my top ten of 2014 reads. I liked it, barely. ( )
  ThePortPorts | Aug 25, 2014 |
It tool me a while to get to this even though lots of people I read had been raving about the book. The book does things with the usual fantasy setups and makes it fresh. Almost all the main characters are older, there are a few young people but they are certainly being mentored or taken care of by the older people in the book. The setting is in the desert instead of some "medieval forest" and the monsters correspond with this setting. I enjoyed the book and the story and I will be looking for the next book out in the series. A well written fantasy and a nice change of pace for most of it out there.
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
3.5 stars

it was fun, author showed a great understanding of growth character and their relationships. A great understanding of love. He had a great villains' villain. it was fun wished it was larger so the author could expanded more on background histories of some of the other characters like the Prince and the dude with the dirty kaftan. Would definitely read if there was a follow up book. ( )
  seaofsorrow | May 20, 2014 |
Set in a quasi-Middle Eastern city and populated with the supernatural creatures of Arab folklore, this long-awaited debut by a finalist for the Nebula and Campbell awards brings The Arabian Nights to sensuous life. The maturity and wisdom of Ahmed's older protagonists are a delightful contrast to the brave impulsiveness of their younger companions. This trilogy launch will delight fantasy lovers who enjoy flawed but honorable protagonists and a touch of the exotic.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (Jan 1, 2012)

Saladin Ahmedprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chan, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents, Ismael Ahmed, and the late Mary O'Leary, who introduced me to the fantastic world of books; to my wife, Hayley Thompson, who supported me in countless ways as I wrote this one; and to my children, Malcolm and Naima, who make this broken world beautiful enough to keep living and writing in, this is for you.
Nine days. Beneficient God, I beg you, let this be the day I die!

From Saladin Ahmed, finalist for the Nebula and Campbell Awards, comes one of the year's most anticipated fantasy debuts, THRONE OF THE CRESCENT MOON, a fantasy adventure with all the magic of The Arabian Nights.

The Crescent Moon Kingdoms, land of djenn and ghuls, holy warriors and heretics, Khalifs and killers, is at the boiling point of a power struggle between the iron-fisted Khalif and the mysterious master thief known as the Falcon Prince. In the midst of this brewing rebellion a series of brutal supernatural murders strikes at the heart of the Kingdoms. It is up to a handful of heroes to learn the truth behind these killings:

Doctor Adoulla Makhslood, "The last real ghul hunter in the great city of Dhamsawaat," just wants a quiet cup of tea. Three score and more years old, he has grown weary of hunting monsters and saving lives, and is more than ready to retire from his dangerous and demanding vocation. But when an old flame's family is murdered, Adoulla is drawn back to the hunter's path.

Raseed bas Raseed, Adoulla's young assistant, a hidebound holy warrior whose prowess is matched only by his piety, is eager to deliver God's justice. But even as Raseed's sword is tested by ghuls and manjackals, his soul is tested when he and Adoulla cross paths with the tribeswoman Zamia.

Zamia Badawi, Protector of the Band, has been gifted with the near-mythical power of the Lion-Shape, but shunned by her people for daring to take up a man's title. She lives only to avenge her father's death. Until she learns that Adoulla and his allies also hunt her father's killer. Until she meets Raseed.

When they learn that the murders and the Falcon Prince's brewing revolution are connected, the companions must race against time--and struggle against their own misgivings--to save the life of a vicious despot. In so doing they discover a plot for the Throne of the Crescent Moon that threatens to turn Dhamsawaat, and the world itself, into a blood-soaked ruin.

Three superheroes in the Crescent Moon Kingdoms bound together by a series of magical murders must work together in a race against time to prevent a sorcerer's plot from destroying the world.

77 wanted2 pay12 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,748,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible