Throne of The Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed

Throne of The Crescent Moon (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Saladin Ahmed, Phil Gigante (Reader)

7705612,013 (3.58)1 / 78
Member:raekevins
Title:Throne of The Crescent Moon
Authors:Saladin Ahmed
Other authors:Phil Gigante (Reader)
Info:Brilliance Audio on MP3-CD (2012), Edition: MP3 Una, MP3 CD
Rating:***

Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed (2012)

The Will of the Wanderer by Margaret Weis (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Arabian Nights-flavored fantasy, and both are enjoyable adventure stories.

At first glance, it's easy to dismiss THRONE OF THE CRESCENT MOON as a typical sword and sorcery novel with not one, but many reluctant heroes in the guise of being presented by multiple points of view. But from the very first chapter, you realise you're in the presence of something much larger, grander, and more indepth than previous versions of this motif. You could read the story for what it is, a tale of an old man and his young charges righting the wrongs of the world, but you'd be missing out on much of what Saladin has to say.

And boy does he have a lot say - THRONE OF THE CRESCENT MOON is an allegorical tale using Saladin's world as the mirror to our own and through his work, he is critiquing the problems that exist in our world. He underscores some of the larger and complex concepts with a very subtle humour that at first read through you miss until you realise what he's getting at -- very Dickensian. His voice is very passionate, very authentic, and very real.

And there was something else in this tale that I couldn't put my finger on until I read it on another review: Saladin's work has soul and a heart. A lot of fantasy I've read, and in the larger scope of my canon is actually much less than most, tends to have a hollowness to the world and characters - they seem to be missing their "humaness" about them we often need to make that connection within ourselves. There is certainly nothing wrong with that, not every novel needs to be a treatise on the human condition. But you don't realise how much you miss having a full bodied story until you get your hands on one again. ( )
  byshieldmaiden | Jan 17, 2017 |
Thanks be to God, who allows authors to finally run the *&)(^%$ out of worthless words.

This book could have been 20% shorter if the author hadn't made his characters bless", "thank", "praise", "be damned" or some such "God" for EVERY PHRACKING THING THEY DO!!!!!!!!!!!

Does the young hothead think a thought? Praise God he can think.

Does the old fat magician like a particular food? Thank God he can taste it.

And on and on and on.

I went into this book thinking I was going to get a rousing middle eastern story with monsters I'd never heard of and horrors beyond mortal ken.

What I got was an old man who refused to properly take on an apprentice, and then spends the entire book lamenting how he is too old to be doing this.
I get pages of people drinking tea, going through crowded gates and talking about mundane things.
I also get "action", all 2 paragraphs of it.

Ghuls get some face time at the beginning and right near the end. I want some fighting action that lasts more than 2 paragraphs, PLEASE!!!! Give me new and exciting monsters to feast my jaded fantasy tastes upon.
Humongous evil, terrible powers are hinted at, given a shadow, then torn away in an ill-described, barely there kind of way.

I was just disappointed, which is why I am so vitriolic. I don't know that I'll be reading any more..." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I enjoyed the world; a sort of fantasy version of medieval Egypt, rather than the typical medieval Europe-inspired fantasy. A world where magic, alkhemy, God and the dead Kemeti gods, djenn and ghuls are all real. The world feels very real and fully developed, with a history, multiple cultures and countries, religious differences, etc.

I enjoyed the characters, particularly Raseed and Zamia, and their internal conflicts. (Although the resolution there wasn't particularly satisfying.) Having a different viewpoint character each chapter worked well, and helped develop the main characters, especially those other than Adoulla and Raseed.

Unfortunately, the plot, however, wasn't as satisfying. It felt relatively straight-forward; there weren't any surprising twists. Adoulla and his gang gradually uncover enough details to resolve who the ghul-raiser is and what his plans are (without any serious false leads), and then proceed to go and defeat him. Sure, the Falcon Prince acquires great power by drink the heir's blood like Orshando hoped to do but that was only a late surprise, and only in the details. (Although I'm sure it'll play a role in the sequels). ( )
  teknognome | Nov 14, 2016 |
Everything I like about fantasy and nothing I don't. Full review on my blog, as always. ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |

For my review of Throne of the Crescent Moon, please go to http://www.myshelf.com/scifi_fantasy/12/throneofthecrescentmoon.htm ( )
  CarmenFerreiro | Mar 28, 2016 |
Set in a quasi-Middle Eastern city and populated with the supernatural creatures of Arab folklore, this long-awaited debut by a finalist for the Nebula and Campbell awards brings The Arabian Nights to sensuous life. The maturity and wisdom of Ahmed's older protagonists are a delightful contrast to the brave impulsiveness of their younger companions. This trilogy launch will delight fantasy lovers who enjoy flawed but honorable protagonists and a touch of the exotic.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (Jan 1, 2012)

Saladin Ahmedprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chan, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents, Ismael Ahmed, and the late Mary O'Leary, who introduced me to the fantastic world of books; to my wife, Hayley Thompson, who supported me in countless ways as I wrote this one; and to my children, Malcolm and Naima, who make this broken world beautiful enough to keep living and writing in, this is for you.
Nine days. Beneficient God, I beg you, let this be the day I die!

From Saladin Ahmed, finalist for the Nebula and Campbell Awards, comes one of the year's most anticipated fantasy debuts, THRONE OF THE CRESCENT MOON, a fantasy adventure with all the magic of The Arabian Nights.

The Crescent Moon Kingdoms, land of djenn and ghuls, holy warriors and heretics, Khalifs and killers, is at the boiling point of a power struggle between the iron-fisted Khalif and the mysterious master thief known as the Falcon Prince. In the midst of this brewing rebellion a series of brutal supernatural murders strikes at the heart of the Kingdoms. It is up to a handful of heroes to learn the truth behind these killings:

Doctor Adoulla Makhslood, "The last real ghul hunter in the great city of Dhamsawaat," just wants a quiet cup of tea. Three score and more years old, he has grown weary of hunting monsters and saving lives, and is more than ready to retire from his dangerous and demanding vocation. But when an old flame's family is murdered, Adoulla is drawn back to the hunter's path.

Raseed bas Raseed, Adoulla's young assistant, a hidebound holy warrior whose prowess is matched only by his piety, is eager to deliver God's justice. But even as Raseed's sword is tested by ghuls and manjackals, his soul is tested when he and Adoulla cross paths with the tribeswoman Zamia.

Zamia Badawi, Protector of the Band, has been gifted with the near-mythical power of the Lion-Shape, but shunned by her people for daring to take up a man's title. She lives only to avenge her father's death. Until she learns that Adoulla and his allies also hunt her father's killer. Until she meets Raseed.

When they learn that the murders and the Falcon Prince's brewing revolution are connected, the companions must race against time--and struggle against their own misgivings--to save the life of a vicious despot. In so doing they discover a plot for the Throne of the Crescent Moon that threatens to turn Dhamsawaat, and the world itself, into a blood-soaked ruin.

Three superheroes in the Crescent Moon Kingdoms bound together by a series of magical murders must work together in a race against time to prevent a sorcerer's plot from destroying the world.

73 wanted2 pay13 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,654,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible