Throne of The Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed

Throne of The Crescent Moon (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Saladin Ahmed, Phil Gigante (Reader)

6134715,886 (3.58)1 / 75
Member:raekevins
Title:Throne of The Crescent Moon
Authors:Saladin Ahmed
Other authors:Phil Gigante (Reader)
Info:Brilliance Audio on MP3-CD (2012), Edition: MP3 Una, MP3 CD
Rating:***

Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed (2012)

The Will of the Wanderer by Margaret Weis (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Arabian Nights-flavored fantasy, and both are enjoyable adventure stories.

I've actually been wanting to read this for quite a while so I'm glad I finally had time. This is a great fantasy story, full of gripping tension and diverse characters. The real star of the book, though, is the stellar worldbuilding. I love worldbuilding very much, and what impressed me is everything down to the expressions the characters use fit into their world. Much love. ( )
  g33kgrrl | Jun 3, 2015 |
About every 10th word in this book is God. God this, God that, God whatever. The sheer volume of the word is off putting. After a bit, you get numb to it, to the point that the rare (short) paragraph without a god in it catches your attention. If the incidences of the word god had been cut at least in half, the author would have freed up considerable space to detail the world building a bit more, which would have been more appreciated than being beat over the brain by word repetition. All that said, the characters are richly drawn and engaging, the story is well paced and fun, just rather sorely lacking in background detail. I will look forward to more by this author, who I sincerely hope will lighten up on the word repetition. ( )
  CaineBooks | Apr 15, 2015 |
After reading this book, I know I can honestly look Saladin Ahmed in the eye at this year's JordanCon and say, "Your book was fantastic. And it made me crave cardamon tea." (I actually drink my own blend of cardamon heavy chai, so it's not a far stretch. But I did spend an inordinate amount of time wondering what the blend at the tea-shop had as ingredients.)

It was very refreshing to read a book set in a world with the middle eastern flavors of ours. It felt at once familiar, and also exotic, and delightfully not medieval. I'm hoping to see Adoulla and rest of the characters fleshed out a bit more, and pacing steadied, but my minor quibbles will not stop me from giving 4 stars, or from reading book two when it comes out. The descriptions of foods and life were very evocative. But, (And take my word for this, please) if you tend to sit down with a tea and a nibble, be sure not to think you'll partake if reading the prologue (I) or the lettered interludes. Ahmed does gory well. ( )
  bookczuk | Feb 26, 2015 |
I thought this story was pretty interesting. Whereas many sword and sandal type epics generally borrow from European history, the Throne of the Crescent Moon used really elements of Middle Eastern history and culture to create a unique historical universe. Set in a world populated by dervishes, ghuls, magicians, and other magical characters, Saladin Ahmed weaves together an engaging narrative. His characters come off a little one-dimensional but I still really enjoyed the story. As this is part of an envisioned trilogy it does have a conclusion but still leaves open many questions to be pursued in later adventures. ( )
  mfedore | Feb 3, 2015 |
Doctor Adoulla Makhslood is an aging monster hunter, happily pondering his retirement. However, one does not simply retire from God's calling. An old flame's plea for help and the most terrible threat of his life await the good doctor.

In his debut novel Saladin Ahmed reinvigorates familiar Fantasy themes with a fresh Middle Eastern flavor. ( )
  wishanem | Jan 27, 2015 |
Set in a quasi-Middle Eastern city and populated with the supernatural creatures of Arab folklore, this long-awaited debut by a finalist for the Nebula and Campbell awards brings The Arabian Nights to sensuous life. The maturity and wisdom of Ahmed's older protagonists are a delightful contrast to the brave impulsiveness of their younger companions. This trilogy launch will delight fantasy lovers who enjoy flawed but honorable protagonists and a touch of the exotic.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (Jan 1, 2012)

Saladin Ahmedprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chan, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents, Ismael Ahmed, and the late Mary O'Leary, who introduced me to the fantastic world of books; to my wife, Hayley Thompson, who supported me in countless ways as I wrote this one; and to my children, Malcolm and Naima, who make this broken world beautiful enough to keep living and writing in, this is for you.
Nine days. Beneficient God, I beg you, let this be the day I die!

From Saladin Ahmed, finalist for the Nebula and Campbell Awards, comes one of the year's most anticipated fantasy debuts, THRONE OF THE CRESCENT MOON, a fantasy adventure with all the magic of The Arabian Nights.

The Crescent Moon Kingdoms, land of djenn and ghuls, holy warriors and heretics, Khalifs and killers, is at the boiling point of a power struggle between the iron-fisted Khalif and the mysterious master thief known as the Falcon Prince. In the midst of this brewing rebellion a series of brutal supernatural murders strikes at the heart of the Kingdoms. It is up to a handful of heroes to learn the truth behind these killings:

Doctor Adoulla Makhslood, "The last real ghul hunter in the great city of Dhamsawaat," just wants a quiet cup of tea. Three score and more years old, he has grown weary of hunting monsters and saving lives, and is more than ready to retire from his dangerous and demanding vocation. But when an old flame's family is murdered, Adoulla is drawn back to the hunter's path.

Raseed bas Raseed, Adoulla's young assistant, a hidebound holy warrior whose prowess is matched only by his piety, is eager to deliver God's justice. But even as Raseed's sword is tested by ghuls and manjackals, his soul is tested when he and Adoulla cross paths with the tribeswoman Zamia.

Zamia Badawi, Protector of the Band, has been gifted with the near-mythical power of the Lion-Shape, but shunned by her people for daring to take up a man's title. She lives only to avenge her father's death. Until she learns that Adoulla and his allies also hunt her father's killer. Until she meets Raseed.

When they learn that the murders and the Falcon Prince's brewing revolution are connected, the companions must race against time--and struggle against their own misgivings--to save the life of a vicious despot. In so doing they discover a plot for the Throne of the Crescent Moon that threatens to turn Dhamsawaat, and the world itself, into a blood-soaked ruin.

Three superheroes in the Crescent Moon Kingdoms bound together by a series of magical murders must work together in a race against time to prevent a sorcerer's plot from destroying the world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,434,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible