In einer Person by John Irving

In einer Person (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Irving

Member:Baresi
Title:In einer Person
Authors:John Irving
Info:Diogenes Verlag AG (2012), Hardcover
Collections:Belletristik, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:Homosexualität Schriftsteller

In One Person by John Irving (2012)

Self by Yann Martel (LynnB)
    LynnB: Explores gender identity.
    Tomboy. by Thomas Meinecke (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: In beiden Werken geht es um sexuelle Identität.

English (47)  Dutch (4)  German (3)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (58)
1950-luvun Uudessa-Englannissa asuva Billy Abbott on teatteriperheen vesa. 13-vuotiaan Billyn äiti on First Sisterin pikkukaupungissa toimivan harrastelijateatterin kuiskaaja, komea isäpuoli armoitettu ensirakastaja. Naisroolit jaetaan tädin ja isoisän kesken, joskin kaitaluinen isoisä on leningissä uskottavampi kuin siveä Muriel-täti. Katsomossa istuva isoäiti ei tiedä, kumpaa paheksuisi enemmän, puolihameissa turhankin hyvin viihtyvää miestään vai Billyn kadonnutta isää. Ei siis ihme, että Billy päätyy salaamaan orastavat seksuaaliset epäilyksensä.Mutta ihastumista vääriin ihmisiin ei voi välttää. Painijoukkueen kauniskasvoinen kapteeni Jacques Kittredge ja epäilyttävän leveäharteinen kirjastonhoitaja neiti Frost ovat vain alkusoittoa Billyn alati mutkikkaammassa rakkauselämässä. Biseksuaali Billy saa pian huomata, että ahdasmielisyys ei rajoitu pikkukaupunkeihin.

Mutta Billy ei anna periksi. Ura menestyskirjailijana rakentuu vankalle uskolle, että seksuaalinen suuntautuminen ei ole ihmisyyden mitta.John Irvingin uskaliain ja kunnianhimoisin romaani on puhdasverinen tragikomedia, joka palaa rakastetun Garpin maailman teemoihin - vuosikymmeniä viisaampana. Tuiman katseen tuttu pilke saa aavistelemaan, että tie helvettiin on mitä luultavimmin moraalisella ylenkatseella kivetty.
  roojien | Dec 11, 2014 |
I am, and have been for a long time, a huge fan of John Irving's writing. Two or three of his novels, in fact, are among my all-time favorites. I actually read the first few chapters of "In One Person" back in 2012 when the book was first published but grew rather bored with the book's pace and set it aside for a later try.

This time around I did finish the book - although I found two or three other parts of the book in which the plot moved along painfully slowly, I finished the book. Strangely (to me), the book seemed to drag particularly toward the end, the spot at which most novels are finally reaching their climax (no pun intended, in this case). It just ends...and life goes on, I suppose. Along the way, there are some interesting and sympathetic characters to enjoy and, as always, Irving's plot twists are complicated and intriguing.

As it turns out, all of my favorite "In One Person" characters turn out to be the most sexually "twisted" ones in the novel. I know this is exactly how Mr. Irving intended/hoped his readers would react when reading the novel, and it worked. He manages to "humanize" every one of the characters struggling to find or deal with their sexual identities and makes them into entirely sympathetic people. On the other hand, and entirely as Irving intended, it is the "straights" of the book that come across as unlikable, ignorant, or unreasonable. I get the message...but it does become a little transparent when only four or five of all the straight people main character, Billy, meets in his lifetime dislike him pretty much only because of his sexual identity (Billy is bisexual).

That said, this is a John Irving novel and, in my opinion, ALL John Irving novels have something positive and enjoyable to offer the reading. "In One Person" is far from the author's best writing, but I'm glad I gave it a second chance. ( )
  SamSattler | Oct 17, 2014 |
ShelfNotes Review

Dear Reader,

John Irving has done it again! If you've read Irving before, you know what to expect and this didn't disappoint. Irving brings us a little closer to sexuality with this one, it's a little more "in your face" without hiding it within. He tells the story from the perspective of Billy, a bisexual growing up in Vermont during that time when sexuality was being questioned more than ever. Billy attends an all male school with a step father who teaches the drama class there. His Grandfather is a somewhat closeted cross-dresser (mostly cross-dressing in the Shakespeare plays the school puts on). All around him he has signs that his family is inclined to be somewhat "different" and during this time he starts figuring out his own bisexuality.

Apparently, Irving has openly admitted to having crushes on his male schoolmates and this is where the idea of the book came from. I've always wondered what Irving's sexuality was like since he focuses his books on many controversial sexual related topics. He doesn't state outright that he is bisexual, he does live with his wife in one of his three homes of Toronto, Vermont and Pointe au Baril. I love that he writes what he knows and uses his own experiences in his books. He has a creative mind but the realistic characters come out so vividly, they must be modeled from people he has known.

Getting back to the story, we follow Billy to New York City during the AIDS epidemic and this section of the book was extremely upsetting and sad. During the 80's, AIDS became so prevalent that sometimes you didn't know someone was LGBT until they started dying from the disease (THIS is when they would or had to come out of the closet). I can't imagine what it would have been like to have all your close friends dropping off like flies from this virus. The main character, Billy, even emotes how awful he feels when people ask if he is sick and he has to reply that he isn't. To feel guilt from not catching the virus, that thought amazed me but when I put myself in his shoes... I started to realize that I would have felt the same way.

I think the title of this book is a reflection on how people can have more than "one" person inside of us. How one person can be so many things, why must we narrow it down? Why can't we love people for people and not for what gender they are. Why must we classify ourselves as female or male? Isn't it true that we have characteristics of both, how many times have you heard someone say that they are "Metro" or a "Tom Boy"? This is only a step or two from dressing a different way or trying out a different style. I'm happy we've come this far but this book just made me want to scream at how far we have to go. If you take away anything from this book... take this... Love people or don't love people but don't hate those who love people. Enough said!

Happy Reading,
AmberBug ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
I was surprised at how good this book was because I’d heard some negatives. I think the content might bother some people, because you can’t fault the writing. It is John Irving after all.

The story follows William Abbott from adolescence – when he discovers his bisexuality – to old age. At the end many of his contemporaries have died – many to AIDS. Most of his family is gone. But he has lived a compelling life as a writer and friend and lover to many. Some he keeps for life and the story follows his relationships.

The familiar Irving settings are here: an all-boy private school, wrestling and wrestlers, Vienna, cross-dressing. The story could have ended much earlier than it does, but is no less interesting for the length. The emphasis on sexuality probably isn’t for everyone, but this is a very good book. ( )
1 vote Hagelstein | Jun 7, 2014 |
I would give this book 2 stars for the actual story but 5 stars for the writing - I love the way John Irving writes I just didn't enjoy this book. ( )
  susan.h.schofield | May 25, 2014 |
Den amerikanske forfatteren John Irving har latt seg inspirere av Henrik Ibsen i sin nyeste roman. Ibsen-diskusjonene er det beste ved boken, som ellers inneholder forutsigbare Irving-temaer som bryting, en forsvunnet far, uklare identiteter og ikke minst sex i de fleste konstellasjoner
added by annek49 | editNRK, Anne Cathrine Straume (Jun 18, 2012)

Jeg må tilstå med det samme: Jeg er blodfan av John Irving. Han forteller historier uten like, og i I en og samme person er han umiskjennelig irvingsk – tematikken er ikke ukjent for Irving-lesere, og hovedpersonen har som ofte før flere likhetstrekk med forfatteren. Denne romanen er både deilig, smertefull og underholdende å oppholde seg i. Typisk nok varer oppholdet i hundrevis av sider, litt over fem hundre

Irving likes to track his characters over long stretches of time. “In One Person” begins in the mid-1950s, when Billy is 13, and shadows him until he is in his late 60s, in 2010. As a work of fiction, it is true to the way we recall our lives rather than the way we actually live them; we live in linear time — we have no choice — but the curve of our memory is never a straight line. Happenings that lasted an hour can obsess us for years. Years of our lives can be forgotten.

I'm going to begin by telling you about Miss Frost.
My dear boy, please don't put a label on me -- don't make me a category before you get to know me!

The author's most political novel since The Cider House Rules and A Prayer for Owen Meany, this novel is an intimate and unforgettable portrait of the solitariness of a bisexual man who is dedicated to making himself "worthwhile."

640 wanted6 pay6 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,333,754 books! | Top bar: Always visible