In einer Person by John Irving

In einer Person (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Irving

Member:Baresi
Title:In einer Person
Authors:John Irving
Info:Diogenes Verlag AG (2012), Hardcover
Collections:Belletristik, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:Homosexualität Schriftsteller

In One Person by John Irving (2012)

Self by Yann Martel (LynnB)
    LynnB: Explores gender identity.
    Tomboy. by Thomas Meinecke (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: In beiden Werken geht es um sexuelle Identität.

English (45)  Dutch (4)  German (2)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (54)
I was surprised at how good this book was because I’d heard some negatives. I think the content might bother some people, because you can’t fault the writing. It is John Irving after all.

The story follows William Abbott from adolescence – when he discovers his bisexuality – to old age. At the end many of his contemporaries have died – many to AIDS. Most of his family is gone. But he has lived a compelling life as a writer and friend and lover to many. Some he keeps for life and the story follows his relationships.

The familiar Irving settings are here: an all-boy private school, wrestling and wrestlers, Vienna, cross-dressing. The story could have ended much earlier than it does, but is no less interesting for the length. The emphasis on sexuality probably isn’t for everyone, but this is a very good book. ( )
1 vote Hagelstein | Jun 7, 2014 |
I would give this book 2 stars for the actual story but 5 stars for the writing - I love the way John Irving writes I just didn't enjoy this book. ( )
  susan.h.schofield | May 25, 2014 |
An elderly bisexual man looks back upon his life and romances, reflecting on his unfulfilled loves and broken dreams. ( )
  jepeters333 | Apr 1, 2014 |
I've yet to read a novel by John Irving that I haven't like, and this one is no exception. In One Person was spectacular. It's a novel that makes you think- about everything, about the things that happen when you're a kid, a teen, an adult. Even though I'm only nineteen, I can tell this will be a book I can go to when things get rough. It might have some aspects I can't completely relate to, but as a whole, this novel, like the other novels by Irving that I've read, while completely outstanding and impossible to imagine, is one of the most relateable novels I've read in a while. I can't wait to pick up my next Irving novel. ( )
  lilysreads | Mar 23, 2014 |
I have never read any of John Irving's books before but I have heard a lot about him from others. I thought this book was great. It was very unconventional and very different from what I am used to but then that is the charm of John's books. He writes in such a way that it can feel a little discombobulated at times but it all comes together and makes sense in the end. Definitely worth reading.
  Swade0710 | Mar 20, 2014 |
Den amerikanske forfatteren John Irving har latt seg inspirere av Henrik Ibsen i sin nyeste roman. Ibsen-diskusjonene er det beste ved boken, som ellers inneholder forutsigbare Irving-temaer som bryting, en forsvunnet far, uklare identiteter og ikke minst sex i de fleste konstellasjoner
added by annek49 | editNRK, Anne Cathrine Straume (Jun 18, 2012)

Jeg må tilstå med det samme: Jeg er blodfan av John Irving. Han forteller historier uten like, og i I en og samme person er han umiskjennelig irvingsk – tematikken er ikke ukjent for Irving-lesere, og hovedpersonen har som ofte før flere likhetstrekk med forfatteren. Denne romanen er både deilig, smertefull og underholdende å oppholde seg i. Typisk nok varer oppholdet i hundrevis av sider, litt over fem hundre

Irving likes to track his characters over long stretches of time. “In One Person” begins in the mid-1950s, when Billy is 13, and shadows him until he is in his late 60s, in 2010. As a work of fiction, it is true to the way we recall our lives rather than the way we actually live them; we live in linear time — we have no choice — but the curve of our memory is never a straight line. Happenings that lasted an hour can obsess us for years. Years of our lives can be forgotten.

I'm going to begin by telling you about Miss Frost.
My dear boy, please don't put a label on me -- don't make me a category before you get to know me!

The author's most political novel since The Cider House Rules and A Prayer for Owen Meany, this novel is an intimate and unforgettable portrait of the solitariness of a bisexual man who is dedicated to making himself "worthwhile."

640 wanted6 pay5 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,127,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible