In einer Person by John Irving

In einer Person (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Irving

Info:Diogenes Verlag AG (2012), Hardcover
Collections:Belletristik, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:Homosexualität Schriftsteller

In One Person by John Irving (2012)

2012 (21) 2013 (8) AIDS (16) American (10) American literature (14) bisexual (12) bisexuality (23) coming of age (10) ebook (7) family (9) fiction (123) first edition (7) gay (12) gender (6) homosexuality (8) Kindle (6) lgbt (14) literature (9) novel (16) read in 2012 (11) Roman (13) sexuality (26) Shakespeare (8) theatre (6) to-read (37) transgender (21) USA (9) Vermont (22) wishlist (6) wrestling (7)
    Self by Yann Martel (LynnB)
    LynnB: Explores gender identity.
    Tomboy. by Thomas Meinecke (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: In beiden Werken geht es um sexuelle Identität.

English (43)  Dutch (4)  German (2)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (52)
An elderly bisexual man looks back upon his life and romances, reflecting on his unfulfilled loves and broken dreams. ( )
  jepeters333 | Apr 1, 2014 |
I've yet to read a novel by John Irving that I haven't like, and this one is no exception. In One Person was spectacular. It's a novel that makes you think- about everything, about the things that happen when you're a kid, a teen, an adult. Even though I'm only nineteen, I can tell this will be a book I can go to when things get rough. It might have some aspects I can't completely relate to, but as a whole, this novel, like the other novels by Irving that I've read, while completely outstanding and impossible to imagine, is one of the most relateable novels I've read in a while. I can't wait to pick up my next Irving novel. ( )
  lilysreads | Mar 23, 2014 |
I have never read any of John Irving's books before but I have heard a lot about him from others. I thought this book was great. It was very unconventional and very different from what I am used to but then that is the charm of John's books. He writes in such a way that it can feel a little discombobulated at times but it all comes together and makes sense in the end. Definitely worth reading.
  Swade0710 | Mar 20, 2014 |
I read somewhere that this was Irving's most political book since 'Cider House Rules'. It probably is. A few things though. There seems to be an inordinately large LGBT(Q) population in the tiny town of Favorite River. ...not that there's anything wrong with that, but it felt a bit contrived.

Second. I feel like both of these themes have been better executed in 'A Prayer for Owen Meany' (friendship, the idea of being a 'Joseph' [in this case bi-], even the FAMILY is the same, but with less love) and 'A Widow for One Year', which tackles a man's lifelong obsession and longing for an older woman that shapes his life.

That being said I think that this is a fabulous novel for the subject matter that it tackles. It's warm and funny, the characters are largely likable. The best part of this novel is the way that it takes on the 1980's AIDS epidemic and completely humanizes it. Like the AIDS Quilt in DC, it's a great reminder that those who suffered (and are suffering) are NOT just statistics.

Definitely worth the read, even if it's not his best.
1 vote steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Well...this really breaks my heart. I love John Irving's books. A Prayer for Owen Meany and Cider House Rules would likely make my top 25 favorites were I to make such a list. This book though is preachy and ludicrous. I wanted to like this so much. In addition to my adoration of Irving's work, I am a strong supporter of the LGBTQ community, and appreciate the community's concerns being front and center in a book for wide distribution and not one stuck in the "Gender Studies" section. That said, I can't provide a positive review. I struggled to finish the book only because it was John Irving. If a new author had served this up I doubt it would have been published, and I know I would not have read it through.

Issue #1: What do they put in the water in Three Sisters Vermont that nearly everyone we meet enjoys cross-dressing? Most of these people are Transgender and many others Gay or Bi. I had a Gay friend who used to claim every famous person was Gay and closeted. Finally one day I rolled my eyes and said that not everyone famous is Gay. He responded, "Of course not! Only the hot ones." This feels like that.

Issue #2: Billy Abbott, the protaganist in this mess, is ridiculous, dull, and pedantic. Back in the 50s no high school kid was running around small-town Vermont proud to chat about being bi-sexual or about his attraction to transgendered people. I am not sure those terms even existed. Certainly if that person had existed he would not have been met with nearly universal praise and encouragement. Hey Billy, you are to coolest high school kid in town because you made it with an old tranny! Even in 2012 that is implausible. One of my pet peeves is authors who set novels in a specific historical moment but then give the main character a life and an attitude that would have been impossible then. This was my beef with One Thousand White Women and Charlotte Simmons, among others. Here it is a huge issue.

Issue #3: Bloodbath. This spans a lot of years, and it is a fact of life that everybody dies, but not everyone has to die in the book.

Issue #4: I have never felt that Irving writes women very well. They always stand for something rather than being someone. This is especially true here. Billy's mother, aunt and grandmother are horrible and ridiculous. The lesbian cousin is central casting (vagina discussions at Thanksgiving dinner anyone?) Elaine (Billy's best friend) is pathetic and all of Billy's girlfriends are hollow and petty. The only slightly nuanced women are the ones that were born with penises (or as Billy would say "penithes.")

Issue #5: Penithes. Two characters have "speech" disorders which stop them from pronouncing words with which they are not comfortable. "Vagina" "penis" "aureolae" "time." So contrived! Also, the word "penis" is used so much. One paragraph had the word 17 times, several times in every sentence. This would have been annoying no matter what the word. Find a pronoun or at least a synonym.

Issue #6: Irving's portrayal of writers (those of prose and poetry) makes me not like writers.

Issue #7: This book is incredibly repetitious. Things are repeated over and over and over and over. I assume it was intentional since the phrase "once you start repeating things it is a hard habit to break" is one of the things that is repeated and repeated and repeated. It is not an effective device.

Okay, there is more, but I have work to do so I am ending it here. After reading this and Twisted River within weeks of one another, and not being too impressed with either, I need to go back and read Hotel New Hampshire, or Garp or something else and remind myself that I love Irving. Because I do, and for good reason. ( )
  Narshkite | Nov 19, 2013 |
Den amerikanske forfatteren John Irving har latt seg inspirere av Henrik Ibsen i sin nyeste roman. Ibsen-diskusjonene er det beste ved boken, som ellers inneholder forutsigbare Irving-temaer som bryting, en forsvunnet far, uklare identiteter og ikke minst sex i de fleste konstellasjoner
added by annek49 | editNRK, Anne Cathrine Straume (Jun 18, 2012)

Jeg må tilstå med det samme: Jeg er blodfan av John Irving. Han forteller historier uten like, og i I en og samme person er han umiskjennelig irvingsk – tematikken er ikke ukjent for Irving-lesere, og hovedpersonen har som ofte før flere likhetstrekk med forfatteren. Denne romanen er både deilig, smertefull og underholdende å oppholde seg i. Typisk nok varer oppholdet i hundrevis av sider, litt over fem hundre

Irving likes to track his characters over long stretches of time. “In One Person” begins in the mid-1950s, when Billy is 13, and shadows him until he is in his late 60s, in 2010. As a work of fiction, it is true to the way we recall our lives rather than the way we actually live them; we live in linear time — we have no choice — but the curve of our memory is never a straight line. Happenings that lasted an hour can obsess us for years. Years of our lives can be forgotten.

I'm going to begin by telling you about Miss Frost.
My dear boy, please don't put a label on me -- don't make me a category before you get to know me!

The author's most political novel since The Cider House Rules and A Prayer for Owen Meany, this novel is an intimate and unforgettable portrait of the solitariness of a bisexual man who is dedicated to making himself "worthwhile."

640 wanted5 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,457,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible