The Island by Victoria Hislop

The Island (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Victoria Hislop (Author)

Member:paulmorriss
Title:The Island
Authors:Victoria Hislop (Author)
Info:Headline Review (2006), Edition: 1st Paperback Printing, 480 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**1/2

The Island by Victoria Hislop (2005)

English (63)  Norwegian (4)  Dutch (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (72)
A nicely told story, revolving around a Greek family tragedy and a leprosy colony on Spinalonga just off Crete. ( )
  jvgravy | Apr 10, 2018 |
This had great reviews quoted on it, but I found it lacked something, though I kept reading until the end. I couldn't put my finger on what was missing really. ( )
  paulmorriss | Dec 30, 2017 |
I found this book far too "explain-y". The author spends a lot of time (the book is quite long), overly explaining all manner of things that are not important to the story. We want to find out about the leper colony and the secret, but there are so many sidelines that I just gave up trying to find out the crux of the tale. If it was half the length i would have enjoyed it more. As for the top and tail chapters in a modern setting, they just weren't needed at all, it seemed very clumsy. ( )
  RosebudAnderson | Jun 18, 2017 |
Very readable book.Enjoyed very much learning about life in a Greek village in the 40s and during WWII and about the Petrakis family of Eleni and Giorgis and their daughters Anna and Maria.. A short boat ride from their village of Plaka is the island of Spinalonga, a leper community..Eleni after her diagnosis is sent to Spinalonga and later her duaghter Maria. Maria does leave the island when a cure is founded.
There is lots of family drama to keep this book interesting and along with vivid descriptions make this a good book to read. ( )
  Smits | Jun 14, 2016 |
Wonderful. A great insight into the lives of individuals struck with such a devastating disease. Told through several generations of Greek citizens in a costal town next to an island where people with leprosy were incarcerated for lack of a better word, this story weaves its way through the research and development of a cure for the disease and the impact both the disease and the cure had on this small village. ( )
  Bauernfeind | Jun 4, 2016 |
For my mother, Mary
A cold wind whipped through the narrow streets of Plaka and the chill of the autumnal air encircled the woman, paralysing her body and mind with a numbness that almost blocked her senses but could do nothering to alleviate her grief.

Exterior: Small food stain on outer page edge. One spine crease. No other marks, tears or folds inside or out. Book is clean and intact.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:03 -0400)

On the brink of a life-changing decision, Alexis Fielding longs to find out about her mother's past. But Sofia has never spoken of it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,521,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible