The Island by Victoria Hislop

The Island (original 2005; edition 2007)

by Victoria Hislop

1,319605,901 (3.76)55
Member:qosheba
Title:The Island
Authors:Victoria Hislop
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2007), Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, 2012, Wheelers, Greece, Leprosy, Family Saga

The Island by Victoria Hislop (2005)

English (51)  Norwegian (4)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (59)
If I could divide this into 'the middle bit' and 'the beginning and the end' I'd give the middle bit five stars and the beginning and end about two and half. The book starts and ends with stilted chick lit. The central account of a leper colony in the mid twentieth century, through war and through the search for a cure for leprosy, was fascinating, evocative, and intelligent. ( )
  lexieconyngham | Jul 12, 2013 |
It's rare that I don't finish a book once I've started reading, very rare. I feel I made a commitment. I read 180 pages, but with over 300 to go I just don't care enough about the characters. Yes, I'm kind of interested to see how things work out, but that's all. I guess I shouldn't be surprised as it's not my usual sort of reading. Good thing it was free (three cheers for World Book Night). ( )
  eclecticdodo | Jun 24, 2013 |
Read this one at work, as lighter relief from Milton at home. It was OK, I suppose. All family trials and tribultions. Has Alexis debating of she wants to spend the rest of her life with Ed, who is superficially perfect, but sounds like an arse to me. However she, frankly, is a bit drippy too. Her mother has never spoken about her family or upbringing, but on a visit to Crete, she visits the village of her mother's birth, and finds out the long story from a friend of her mother's. the modern story bookends the past, but the two barely interact throughout the length of the book, so at no point do we discover how this is impacting on Alexis. All just a bit too neat and compartmentalised. The back story is pretty sensational, murder, adultery, leprosy and isolation on a leper island. The cover blurb described it as a beach book, and that about sums it up, it's mildly diverting, but that's about it. ( )
  Helenliz | Mar 31, 2013 |
Alexis is about to go on holiday with her boyfriend, to the country of her mother's birth Greece. She knows nothing about her heritage and suggests that she might visit the village her mother was born in. Armed with a letter to one of her mother's friends Alexis embarks on a journey that she will never forget.

Having reached Crete she leaves her boyfriend heads to the village. She embarks on a trip to the nearby deserted island of Spinalonga, which she establishes is a former leper colony. She spends a few hours there and heads back to the village to seek out her mother's friend. She meets up with Fortini who then shares with her the loves and lives of her mother and the generations that went before her and the connection the family has to Spinalonga.

This was a fabulous read. Read over the course of 24 hours. I could barely put down and did so reluctantly.

A wonderfully written book and is recommended. ( )
  AnglersRest | Jul 11, 2012 |
ISBN: 9780755309511
Publisher: Headline
Pages: 473

The Island by Victoria Hislop is about the Petrakis family.
The Petrakis family lives in the small Greek seaside village of Plaka. Just off the coast is the tiny island of Spinalonga, where the nation's leper colony once was located—a place that has haunted four generations of Petrakis women. There's Eleni, ripped from her husband and two young daughters and sent to Spinalonga in 1939, and her daughters Maria, finding joy in the everyday as she dutifully cares for her father, and Anna, a wild child hungry for passion and a life anywhere but Plaka. And finally there's Alexis, Eleni's great-granddaughter, visiting modern-day Greece to unlock her family's past.

I found this book to be a beautifully written, heartbreaking tale.

Available at Amazon.co.uk. ( )
  Rai29 | Jun 8, 2012 |
For my mother, Mary
A cold wind whipped through the narrow streets of Plaka and the chill of the autumnal air encircled the woman, paralysing her body and mind with a numbness that almost blocked her senses but could do nothering to alleviate her grief.

Exterior: Small food stain on outer page edge. One spine crease. No other marks, tears or folds inside or out. Book is clean and intact.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:37 -0400)

On the brink of a life-changing decision, Alexis Fielding longs to find out about her mother's past. But Sofia has never spoken of it.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,329,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible