The Island by Victoria Hislop

The Island (original 2005; edition 2007)

by Victoria Hislop

Member:qosheba
Title:The Island
Authors:Victoria Hislop
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2007), Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, 2012, Wheelers, Greece, Leprosy, Family Saga

The Island by Victoria Hislop (2005)

English (58)  Norwegian (4)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (66)
Ένα καταπληκτικό βιβλίο!!! ( )
  GeorgiaKo | May 27, 2016 |
Not really my kind of book, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The description of life in the leper colony was fascinating and very compassionate.
  jbennett | May 18, 2016 |
Historical novel about Crete and an ancient disease, leprosy, and it's impact from biblical times until its cure. April 2016 selection of Reading Club, most members really enjoyed book, felt the story was well told, characters well developed, we learned things about this ancient disease that we didn't know, and are interested in reading other books by author. Major criticism was they wanted more details about the island community of lepers and life there. ( )
  Gmomaj | Apr 27, 2016 |
This was a surprise, chosen at random from my local library. The book is well-researched, and the back history of the leper colony alongside the history of German occupation during the Second World War lifts it above the average beach read. There is plenty of romance and family saga about it, but it had the feel of a more serious book, similar to Louis de Berniere's books set on Kefalonia. Hislop writes well, and the story flowed beautifully for the most part. There are a couple of passages where the action could move on more quickly and, towards the end, passages where she could have reigned in the speed of her writing and made it more than mere exposition, but over all I was very impressed and will read more of Hislop's books. ( )
  missizicks | Jan 31, 2016 |
A formula pot boiler. Would have been well suited to the Mills and Boon imprint. The only reason I read it was that we'd visited Spinalonga on holiday. Not really worth the trouble. ( )
  Steve38 | Dec 27, 2015 |
For my mother, Mary
A cold wind whipped through the narrow streets of Plaka and the chill of the autumnal air encircled the woman, paralysing her body and mind with a numbness that almost blocked her senses but could do nothering to alleviate her grief.

Exterior: Small food stain on outer page edge. One spine crease. No other marks, tears or folds inside or out. Book is clean and intact.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:03 -0400)

On the brink of a life-changing decision, Alexis Fielding longs to find out about her mother's past. But Sofia has never spoken of it.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,917,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible